OLYMPIA FIELDS, ILL. – Baylor men’s golf is in second place with a two-round score of 3-over-par 563 at the Fighting Illini Invitational. The Bears shot 3-over 283 in Saturday’s second round at Olympia Fields, and they’ll enter Sunday’s final round three shots back of the lead.
No. 19 Alabama (E) shot even-par for the second straight day to remain atop the leaderboard. No. 4 Baylor (+3) is in second place, followed by No. 16 Texas A&M (+6), No. 1 Oklahoma State (+7) and No. 5 Illinois (+7) rounding out the top five. The 15-team field includes 10 of the nation’s top-20 ranked teams in the GCAA Preseason Coaches Poll.
No. 20 Florida State (+10) is in sixth place, followed by No. 8 USC (+15), No. 12 UNLV (+15), No. 14 Stanford (+16), California (+19), No. 6 Texas (+20), Northwestern (+21), North Carolina (+22), Indiana (+36) and Navy (+51).
Junior Braden Bailey shot 2-under-par 68 on Saturday to climb six spots into a tie for fifth place at 3-under 137 for the tournament. He’s four shots back of the individual lead held by Alabama’s Davis Riley at 7-under 133. Junior Garrett May carded a 1-over 71 to move into a tie for eighth place at 1-under 139 through 36 holes.
Sophomore Cooper Dossey carded 3-over 73 on Saturday and sits tied for 16th place at 1-over 141, and senior Matthew Perrine posted the Bears’ final counting score with a second round of 1-over 71 to move up 19 spots into a tie for 45th place at 8-over 148. Freshman Ryan Grider shot 9-over 79 and sits tied for 64th place at 14-over 154.
• Baylor’s 31 birdies through two rounds are most in the 15-team field.
• Baylor is tied for second in par-5 scoring at 5-under 4.75, ranks fourth in par-4 scoring at 17-over 4.14 and 10th in par-3 scoring at 7-over 3.18.
• Braden Bailey is tied for the lead in the 78-player field in par-4 scoring at 3-under 3.88.
• Garrett May is tied for second in par-5 scoring at 3-under 4.25, while Cooper Dossey is tied for eighth at 2-under 4.50.
• May and Bailey are tied for 15th in par-3 scoring at even-par 3.00.
• Bailey and Dossey are tied for eighth in the field with eight birdies through 36 holes.
STAT OF THE DAY
5 – Braden Bailey made five birdies on his way to a team-best second round of 2-under 68. He birdied Nos. 3, 4, 9, 10 and 18, which included some of the course’s most difficult holes. He was one of five players to birdie No. 18, one of five to birdie No. 9, one of five to birdie No. 4, one of 10 to birdie No. 3 and one of 12 to birdie No. 10.
Baylor will be in the final group off the first tee for Sunday’s final round, matched up with players from Alabama and Texas A&M. Perrine is up first at 8:45 a.m. CT, and he’ll be followed in nine-minute intervals by Grider, Bailey, May and Dossey, respectively. For live scoring information throughout the tournament, visit www.golfstat.com. Follow @BaylorMGolf on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook for updates throughout the season.