VESTAVIA HILLS, Ala. – Baylor men’s golf is in second place after shooting 14-under-par 546 across two rounds Monday at the Jerry Pate National Intercollegiate. The Bears are two shots back of the lead entering Tuesday’s final round at Old Overton Club.
BU (-14) trails only tournament-host Alabama (-16). The Bears lead BYU (-9), Arkansas (-5), Auburn (E), UNLV (+2), South Alabama (+5), UAB (+10), Michigan (+13), Mississippi State (+14), Charlotte (+17) and Samford (+26). BU is seeking its first win and third top-four finish of the 2017-18 season. Baylor placed second at the Gopher Invitational and fourth at the Fighting Illini Invitational.
Seven of the Bears’ 10 rounds on Monday were at or below par. Braden Bailey is alone in fourth place at 7-under 133, three shots back of the individual lead after shooting 6-under 64 and 1-under 69 on Monday. He came in at 30 in the first round with five birdies and four pars on the back-nine, and his 64 tied the third-best round in program history.
Matthew Perrine is tied for fifth place at 6-under 134 after shooting 2-under 68 and 4-under 66. Cooper Dossey joined Bailey and Perrine in playing both rounds at par or better, recording a 2-under 68 and an even-par 70 to sit tied for 13th place at 2-under 138.
Ryan Grider carded the lowest round of his debut season with a first-round of 1-under 69, and he followed with a 2-over 72 in the second round to sit in a tie for 23rd place at 1-over 141. Travis McInroe is tied for 43rd place at 7-over 147 following rounds of 3-over 73 and 4-over 74, respectively.
• Baylor leads the 12-team field in par-4 scoring at 13-under 3.89, ranks tied for third in par-5 scoring at 7-under 4.65 and tied for fourth in par-3 scoring at 13-over 3.33.
• Baylor is in a three-way tie for the tournament lead with three eagles, ranks fourth with 34 birdies and tied for fifth with 114 pars.
• Braden Bailey is tied for the lead in the 60-player field in par-5 scoring at 3-under 4.25, and he ranks second in par-4 scoring at 8-under 3.67.
• Matthew Perrine is tied for third in par-4 scoring at 7-under 3.71.
• Ryan Grider is tied for seventh in par-5 scoring at 2-under 4.50.
• Cooper Dossey is tied for 10th in par-4 scoring at 3-under 3.88.
• Grider, Dossey and Perrine are tied for 15th in par-3 scoring at 2-over 3.25.
• Bailey leads the tournament with 13 birdies.
• Dossey is in a three-way tie for the tournament lead with two eagles and in a three-way tie for the lead with 27 pars.
• Perrine and Grider are tied for 10th in the field with eight birdies.
STAT OF THE DAY
64 – Braden Bailey’s first round 64 tied the third-best round in program history and finished one stroke back of the Baylor record of 63 set by Johnny Arreaga against Texas Tech in 1963 and Garrett May earlier this season at the Gopher Individual. Bailey made eight birdies, eight pars and two bogeys in his round, and he posted a 5-under 30 on the back-nine with five birdies and four pars.
Tuesday’s final round begins at 8 a.m. CT with tee times from the first and 10th holes. Baylor is in the final group of the first tee in pairings with first-place Alabama and third-place BYU. McInroe is up first at 8:50 a.m., and he’ll be followed in 10-minute intervals by Grider, Dossey, Perrine and Bailey, respectively. For live scoring information throughout the tournament, visit www.golfstat.com. Follow @BaylorMGolf on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook for updates throughout the season.