Feb. 29, 2004
UTSA Roadrunner Invitational
Dates: Mon.-Tue., March 1-2
Location: Oak Hills Country Club; San Antonio, Texas
Par/Yardage: 71/6,650 Yards
Host: Texas-San Antonio
Field: 17 (Air Force, Arkansas-Little Rock, Baylor, Illinios State, Iowa State, Kansas, Long Beach State, Louisiana-Lafayette, Louisiana-Monroe, Mexico National Team, Missouri, Northern Iowa, Rice, San Diego State, Stephen F. Austin, UTSA and Wichita State).
The Baylor men's golf team is set to continue the spring season at the UTSA Roadrunner Invitational Monday and Tuesday at the Oak Hills Country Club in San Antonio, Texas.
The Bears have competed in the Roadrunner Invitational four times since 1997. Their best showing came in the 2000 season, where they shot 283-283-295=861 to claim the team title for the first time.
The Bears are looking to keep the momentum from last fall, when the team finished with four straight Top 10 finishes and a Top 10 finish to start the spring season off as well. Junior Ryan Baca leads the team with a 73.35 stroke average.
Player 2003-04 Average Jeremy Alcorn 75.33 (12) Jon Antunes 75.64 (17) Ryan Baca 73.35 (17) Will Doughtie 75.50 (14) Jeremy Frye 73.71 (14)
* Jeremy Alcorn [Freshman]: Finished tied for 58th (72-75-80=227) in his last outing at the Gator Invitational...Played in three tournaments in the fall... Best finish was 29th at the C.C. of Louisiana Invitational... Average score was 75.22 for nine rounds... Also finished 33rd at the Baylor Invitational.
* Jon Antunes [Senior]: Tied for 41st (76-71-76=223) in his last appearance at the Gator Invitational...Competed in five tournaments this fall... Had a season-best finish of tied for 22nd with a season-low 54 hole total of 218 at the C.C. of Louisiana Invitational... Fired a season-low of 70 in the first round of the Stonebridge Invitaional... Made the Big 12 Commissioner's Honor Roll.
* Ryan Baca [Junior]: Tied for 15th (76-69-72=217) in his last outing at the Gator Inviational...Traveled to all five tournaments this fall... Finished the fall with a stroke average of 73.57... Had his highest finish of the fall by tying for second at the C.C. of Lousiana Invitational with a season-low total of 211... Fired four season-low rounds of 69 (twice at the C.C. of Louisana and once each at the Mason Rudolph Invitational and the Baylor Invitational)...Has fired scores of 69 in three of his last six rounds.
* Will Doughtie [Sophomore]: Finished 65th (78-75-77=230) in his last appearance at the Gator Invitational...Competed in four tournaments in the fall... Highest finish was a tie for eighth at the William H. Tucker with a season-low total of 216 (74-70-72)... Twice had season-low rounds of 70, once at the William H. Tucker and again at the Baylor Invitational.
* Jeremy Frye [Freshman]: Tied for 41st (71-73-79=223) in his last outing at the Gator Invitational...Played in four tournaments in the fall...Finished fourth at the Baylor Invitational shooting back-to-back sub 70 rounds... Also Finished tied for 15th at the Stonebridge Invitational... Ended the fall with the best stroke average on the team with a 73.54 for 11 rounds.
Baylor at the Roadrunner Invitational
Baylor has competed in the Roadrunner Inivitational three previous times...The last time the Bears competed in this event was in 2003 when they finished sixth...The Bears claimed the title in 2000 and also finished tied for second in 1998.
Baca Back On Track
Junior Ryan Baca is second on the team with a 73.35 stroke average after getting off to a slow start in the fall...Baca has fired scores of 69 in three of his last six rounds and has finished in the Top 15 in four of his last five outings.
Two Bear freshmen have made an immediate impact in their first seasons...Jeremy Frye is second on the team with a 73.71 stroke average, while Jeremy Alcorn is fourth with a 75.33 stroke average.
Last Time Out
The Bears finished 10th out of 15 at the Gator Invitational at the University of Florida Golf Course...Baylor shot 298-285-304=887, while junior Ryan Baca was the Bears highest finisher by tying for 15th (76-69-72=217).
Baylor has a quick turnaround with just five days between tournaments..The Bears head to the Hyatt Dorado Beach Intercollegiate in San Juan, Puerto Rico...This will be the first appearance for the Bears in the tournament hosted by Georgia State University.