Senior Will Doughtie finished in the top 15 at last year's Border Olympics.
April 1, 2004
Dates: Fri.-Sat., April 2-3
Location: Laredo C.C.; Laredo, Texas
Host: Texas A&M
Field: 17 (Arkansas, Baylor, BYU, Colorado State, Houston, Lamar, Michigan State, North Texas, Rice, San Diego State, SMU, Southeast Louisiana, Texas A&M, Texas-Arlington, Texas-San Antonio, Texas State, Texas Tech).
The Baylor men's golf team heads west to compete in the Border Olympics April 2-3 in Laredo, Texas. The tournament is hosted by Texas A&M and will be held at the Laredo Country Club Friday and Saturday.
The Border Olympics is the second-oldest collegiate golf tournament in the country, dating back to 1952. The Bears have won four of the last six team titles, including three straight from 1998-2000.
The Bears are coming off a 10th place finish at the Morris Williams Invitational in Austin last week. Junior Ryan Baca, who won the UTSA Roadrunner Intercollegiate four weeks ago, once again leading the way for Baylor. He also finished tied for seventh at the Hyatt Dorado Beach Invitational in San Juan, Puerto Rico. Freshman Jeremy Alcorn posted his third straight Top-25 finish by tying for 22nd at the Morris Williams Invitational.
Player 2003-04 Avg. (Rounds) Jeremy Alcorn 74.00 (21) Jon Antunes 75.14 (26) Ryan Baca 71.41 (26) Will Doughtie 76.60 (23) Jeremy Frye 74.10 (23) Dusty Isabell N/A
* Jeremy Alcorn [Freshman]: Tied for 22nd (72-71-73=216) in his last tournament at the Morris Williams Invitational...Tied for 10th (78-69-71=218) at the Hyatt/Puerto Rico Intercollegiate (3/7-3/9)...Fired a career-low 69 in the second round at the Hyatt/Puerto Rico Intercollegiate...Had a career-high finish, tying for seventh with a career-low 216 (71-74-71) at the Roadrunner Intercollegiate (3/1-3/2)...Tied for 58th (72-75-80=227) at the Gator Invitational (1/31-2/1)...Played in three tournaments in the fall... Best finish was 29th at the C.C. of Louisiana Invitational...Average score was 75.22 for nine rounds...Also finished 33rd at the Baylor Invitational.
* Jon Antunes [Senior]: Tied for 53rd (76-76-74=226) in his last outing at the Morris Williams Invitaional...Tied for 12th (74-70-75=219), his highest finish of the year and lowest round (70), at the Hyatt/Puerto Rico Intercollegiate...Tied for 26th (75-74-74=223) at the UTSA Roadrunner Intercollegiate (3/1-3/2)...Tied for 41st (76-71-76=223) at the Gator Invitational (1/31-2/1)...Competed in five tournaments this fall...Had a season-best finish of tied for 22nd with a season-low 54 hole total of 218 at the C.C. of Louisiana Invitational...Fired a season-low 70 in the first round of the Stonebridge Invitaional...Made the Big 12 Commissioner's Honor Roll.
* Ryan Baca [Junior]: Fired a second round 67(74-67-73=214) and finished tied for 12th at the Morris Williams Invitational...Currently has a Spring stroke average of 71.41... Posted his second Top-10 finish of the Spring by tying for seventh (73-71-73=217) at the Hyatt/Puerto Rico Intercollegiate...Captured his third career title with a score of 209 (72-70-67) at the UTSA Roadrunner Intercollegiate (3/1-3/2)...Fired a season-low 4-under par 67 in the final round...Tied for 15th (76-69-72=217) at the Gator Inviational (3/1-3/2)...Traveled to all five tournaments this fall...Finished the fall with a stroke average of 73.57...Had his highest finish of the fall by tying for second at the C.C. of Lousiana Invitational with a season-low total of 211...Fired four rounds of 69 (twice at the C.C. of Louisana and once each at the Mason Rudolph Invitational and the Baylor Invitational)
* Will Doughtie [Sophomore]: Finished tied for 80th (79-89-77=245) in his last outing at the Morris Williams Invitational...Tied for 26th (84-74-72=230) at the Hyatt/Puerto Rico Intercollegiate...Tied for 52nd (78-76-76=230) at the UTSA Roadrunner Intercollegiate (3/1-3/2)...Finished 65th (78-75-77=230) at the Gator Invitational (1/31-2/1)...Competed in four tournaments in the fall...Highest finish was a tie for eighth at the William H. Tucker with a season-low total of 216 (74-70-72)...Twice had season-low rounds of 70, once at the William H. Tucker and again at the Baylor Invitational.
* Jeremy Frye [Freshman]: Tied for 53rd (76-74-76=226) at the Morris Williams Invitational his last time out...Tied for 16th (73-82-70=225) at the Hyatt/Puerto Rico Intercollegiate...Tied for 22nd (73-76-73=222) at the UTSA Roadrunner Intercollegiate (3/1-3/2)...Tied for 41st (71-73-79=223) in his last outing at the Gator Invitational...Played in four tournaments in the fall...Finished fourth at the Baylor Invitational shooting back-to-back sub 70 rounds...Also Finished tied for 15th at the Stonebridge Invitational...Ended the fall with the best stroke average on the team with a 73.54 for 11 rounds.
* Dusty Isabell [Freshman]: Making his first career appearance, competing as an individual, at the Border Olympics.
Baylor at the Border Olympics
Baylor is making its 14th straight appearance in the tournament since 1989... The Bears finished tied for third last year in Laredo... Baylor has claimed the team title four times (1998, 1999, 2000, 2002) since 1989.
Baca Climbing the Charts
Junior Ryan Baca has now recorded 16 Top-10 finishes in his career and is in third place all time... He has not finished higher than 15th in his last five tournaments...Baca won the UTSA Roadrunner Intercollegiate and tied for seventh at the Hyatt/Puerto Rico Intercollegiate...He currently holds a spring stroke average of 71.41 through 12 rounds.
Baylor will take a couple of weeks off after the Border Olympics, but will return to action for the Big 12 Champioship April 26-28 in Hutchinson, Kan.