April 25, 2004
Complete Release in PDF Format
Download Free Acrobat Reader
2004 BIG 12 CHAMPIONSHIP
Dates: Mon.-Wed., April 26-28
Location: Prairie Dunes C.C.; Hutchinson, Kan.
Host: Kansas State
Field: 12 (Baylor, Colorado, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech).
The Baylor men's golf team will challenge for the 2004 Big 12 Championship hosted by Kansas State Monday through Wednesday, April 26-28 at Prairie Dunes Country Club in Hutchinson, Kan.
Led by junior Ryan Baca, who ranks eighth in the Big 12 with a 72.24 scoring average, the Bears seek their second title in the eight-year history of the conference.
Baylor captured the Big 12 title in 2001, but have not finished higher than fourth in any other year. Texas is the defending champion and has the highest returning finisher from 2003 in Jason Hartwick, who was the runner-up.
The Bears will tee it up at 8:50 a.m. on Monday.
Player 2003-04 Avg. (Rounds)
Jeremy Alcorn 73.75 (24)
Jon Antunes 74.89 (29)
Ryan Baca 72.24 (29)
Will Doughtie 76.19 (26)
Jeremy Frye 74.11 (26)
* Jeremy Alcorn [Freshman]: Tied for 16th (72-68-77=217) in his last tournament at the Border Olympics...Tied for 22nd (72-71-73=216) at the Morris Williams Invitational...Tied for 10th (78-69-71=218) at the Hyatt/Puerto Rico Intercollegiate (3/7-3/9)...Fired a career-low 69 in the second round at the Hyatt/Puerto Rico Intercollegiate...Had a career-high finish, tying for seventh with a career-low 216 (71-74-71) at the Roadrunner Intercollegiate (3/1-3/2)...Tied for 58th (72-75-80=227) at the Gator Invitational (1/31-2/1)...Played in three tournaments in the fall... Best finish was 29th at the C.C. of Louisiana Invitational...Average score was 75.22 for nine rounds...Also finished 33rd at the Baylor Invitational.
* Jon Antunes [Senior]: Tied for 21st (71-74-73=218) in his last outing at the Border Olympics...Tied for 53rd (76-76-74=226) at the Morris Williams Invitaional...Tied for 12th (74-70-75=219), his highest finish of the year and lowest round (70), at the Hyatt/Puerto Rico Intercollegiate...Tied for 26th (75-74-74=223) at the UTSA Roadrunner Intercollegiate (3/1-3/2)...Tied for 41st (76-71-76=223) at the Gator Invitational (1/31-2/1)...Competed in five tournaments this fall...Had a season-best finish of tied for 22nd with a season-low 54 hole total of 218 at the C.C. of Louisiana Invitational...Fired a season-low 70 in the first round of the Stonebridge Invitaional...Made the Big 12 Commissioner's Honor Roll.
* Ryan Baca [Junior]: Tied for second (69-71-68=208) with the second-lowest 54-hole total of his career in his last appearance at the Border Olympics...Fired a second-round 67(74-67-73=214) and finished tied for 12th at the Morris Williams Invitational...Tied for seventh (73-71-73=217) at the Hyatt/Puerto Rico Intercollegiate...Captured his third career title with a score of 209 (72-70-67) at the UTSA Roadrunner Intercollegiate (3/1-3/2)...Fired a season-low 4-under par 67 in the final round...Tied for 15th (76-69-72=217) at the Gator Inviational (3/1-3/2)...Traveled to all five tournaments this fall...Finished the fall with a stroke average of 73.57...Had his highest finish of the fall by tying for second at the C.C. of Lousiana Invitational with a season-low total of 211...Fired four rounds of 69 (twice at the C.C. of Louisana and once each at the Mason Rudolph Invitational and the Baylor Invitational)
* Will Doughtie [Sophomore]: Tied for 23rd (74-70-75=219) in his last tournament at the Border Olympics...Finished tied for 80th (79-89-77=245) at the Morris Williams Invitational...Tied for 26th (84-74-72=230) at the Hyatt/Puerto Rico Intercollegiate...Tied for 52nd (78-76-76=230) at the UTSA Roadrunner Intercollegiate (3/1-3/2)...Finished 65th (78-75-77=230) at the Gator Invitational (1/31-2/1)...Competed in four tournaments in the fall...Highest finish was a tie for eighth at the William H. Tucker with a season-low total of 216 (74-70-72)...Twice had season-low rounds of 70, once at the William H. Tucker and again at the Baylor Invitational.
* Jeremy Frye [Freshman]: Tied for 41st (74-74-74=222) at the Border Olympics in his last outing...Tied for 53rd (76-74-76=226) at the Morris Williams Invitational...Tied for 16th (73-82-70=225) at the Hyatt/Puerto Rico Intercollegiate...Tied for 22nd (73-76-73=222) at the UTSA Roadrunner Intercollegiate (3/1-3/2)...Tied for 41st (71-73-79=223) in his last outing at the Gator Invitational...Played in four tournaments in the fall...Finished fourth at the Baylor Invitational shooting back-to-back sub 70 rounds...Also Finished tied for 15th at the Stonebridge Invitational...Ended the fall with the best stroke average on the team with a 73.54 for 11 rounds.
Baylor at the Big 12 Championship
The Bears finished ninth at least year's championship and fourth in 2002...The Bears claimed their first Big 12 golf title in 2001.
Baca Bringing It
Junior Ryan Baca lead the team and ranks eighth in the Big 12 with a 72.24 stroke average, including a sparkling 71.00 average in the spring...Baca is tied with Jason Hill for career Top-10 (18) and Top-5 (11) finishes, having finished in the Top 10 four times this year, including three Top 5s...Baca tied for second his last time out at the Border Olympics and posted his third career victory at the UTSA Roadrunner Intercollegiate.
Last Time Out
Baylor finished second (286-283-290=859) at the Border Olympics April 2-3...Freshman Jeremy Alcorn fired a career-low 68 en route to tying for 16th...The Bears' 54-hole total of 859 tied for the 10th-lowest in school history and is their lowest under first-year head coach Greg Priest.
Baylor will tune up for the NCAA Central Regional at The Maxwell hosted by Oklahoma State May 15-16 at Dornick Hills C.C. in Ardmore, Okla.