Jan. 19, 2008
THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. - Baylor's men's tennis team sent seven to this weekend's Sherwood Collegiate Cup and six players won first round matches while three advanced to the quarterfinals on Friday. The tournament, held at the Sherwood Country Club in Thousand Oaks, Calif., will continue through Monday.
Attila Bucko, Gwen Corches, Denes Lukacs, Dominik Mueller, Lars Poerschke and Jordan Rux all advanced to the round of 16 on Friday while 79th-ranked David Galic suffered the Bears' only loss of that round, dropping a match to 66th-rated Omar Altmann of Pepperdine.
Mueller, Poerschke and Rux posted round of 16 victories to move on to the tournament quarterfinals. However, one of the trio will definitely be eliminated in quarterfinal action as Poerschke, a senior, and Rux, a freshman, will face each other on Saturday.
Doubles competition begins on Saturday with round of 16 play, with quarterfinal and semifinal rounds slated for competition on Sunday.
Sherwood Collegiate Cup
Round of 32 - Singles
(2) Lars Poerschke (BU) def. Chris Ho (UCLA) 6-1, 6-1
(3) #10 Denes Lukacs (BU) def. Kevin Kaiser (Stanford) 6-1, 4-6, 6-1
(8) #66 Omar Altmann (Pepperdine) def. David Galic (BU) 6-4, 6-4
Attila Bucko (BU) def. (6) #75 Richard Wire (Stanford) 7-6, 2-6, 6-3
Gwen Corches (BU) def. #41 Ted Kelly (Stanford) 6-3, 6-2
Dominik Mueller (BU) def. Jeffrey Zeller (Stanford) 6-2, 6-1
Jordan Rux (BU) def. Andrew Piotrowski (USC) 6-2, 4-6, 6-1
Round of 16 - Singles
(2) Lars Poerschke (BU) def. Abdullah Magdas (USC) 6-4, 6-4
Holden Seguso (UCLA) def. (3) #10 Denes Lukacs (BU) 6-7, 6-4, 6-3
Jason McNaughton (USC) def. Attila Bucko (BU) No scores reported
(7) #73 James Lemke (Pepperdine) def. Gwen Corches (BU) 4-6, 6-4, 6-2
Dominik Mueller (BU) def. (4) Kaes Van't Hof (USC) 6-7, 2-1
Jordan Rux (BU) def. Paul Morrissey (Stanford) 6-2, 4-6, 6-1
Round of 16 - Doubles
(2) Galic/Poerschke (BU) vs. Kaiser/Philip Kao (Stanford)
(4) Bucko/Lukacs (BU) vs. Jack Levis/Abdullah Maqdas (USC)
Corches/Rux (BU) vs. Daniel Gilner/Jason McNaughton (USC)