Jan. 20, 2008
THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -
Baylor's men's tennis team has three players playing in championship matches on Monday in the Sherwood Collegiate Cup on Monday at the Sherwood Country Club in Thousand Oaks, Calif. Lars Poerschke will play in the singles finals while Attila Bucko and Denes Lukacs will play for the doubles championship.
The singles final matches up the top two seeds in the tournament when No. 1 seed Robert Farah of USC tangles with Poerschke, the second seed. Farah downed Baylor's Dominik Mueller, 6-2, 6-2, to advance while Poerschke triumphed over USC's Jason McNaughton, 6-7, 6-4, 6-4.
Doubles provided mixed results for the Bears as Poerschke and partner David Galic dropped a semifinal match to third-seeded Ted Kelly and Blake Muller of Stanford, 9-8. Bucko and Lukacs' first doubles action came in the semifinals after a first round bye and a quarterfinal walkover. They played their way into the finals with an 8-5 victory over UCLA's Harel Srugo and Nick Meister, 8-5.
Bucko and Galic will meet Kelly and Muller in the title match.
Sherwood Collegiate Cup
Semifinals - Singles
(2) Lars Poerschke (BU) def. Jason McNaughton (USC) 6-7, 6-4, 6-4
(1) Robert Farah (USC) def. Dominik Mueller (BU) 6-2, 6-2
Quarterfinals - Doubles
(2) Galic/Poerschke (BU) def. Andrew Piotrowski/Jaak Poldma (USC) 8-4
(4) Attila Bucko/Denes Lukacs (BU) def. Josh Miller/Holden Seguso (UCLA) WO (inj)
Semifinals - Doubles
(3) Ted Kelly/Blake Muller (Stanford) def. (2) Galic/Poerschke (BU) 9-8
(4) Attila Bucko/Denes Lukacs (BU) def. Harel Srugo/Nick Meister (UCLA) 8-5
Finals - Singles
(1) Robert Farah (USC) vs. (2) Lars Poerschke
(BU) - 10:00 a.m. (PST)
Finals - Doubles
(3) Ted Kelly/Blake Muller (Stanford) vs. (4) Attila Bucko/Denes Lukacs (BU) - 11:30 a.m. (PST)