Jan. 23, 2009
The 7th-ranked Baylor Bears slipped past the No. 43 SMU Mustangs 4-3 in men's tennis action Thursday in Dallas at the Turpin Tennis Center.
Baylor lost the doubles point to fall behind early to SMU. The Mustangs used wins from the tandem of David Costa and Artem Baradach over Attila Bucko and Julian Bley, 8-3, and the team of Darren Walsh and Adham El-Effendi posted a victory over David Galic and Maros Horny, 9-8, to grab the doubles point. The duo of Denes Lukacs and Jordan Rux earned the only win for Baylor in the three doubles matches by defeating Robin Fahgen and Chris Hooshyar, 8-1.
The match came down however, to the last singles contest on the court as Baylor freshman Marc Bruche knocked off Gaston Cuadranti to give Baylor the necessary four points. Taking the first singles point for Baylor was sophomore Jordan Rux, ranked No. 13, with a 6-1, 6-1 victory over Hooshyar. Also clinching points for Baylor was Bley over SMU's 118th-ranked Artem Baradach and 40th-ranked Bucko also took care of David Costa to give Baylor the victory. Playing at No. 1 singles player for the Bears, 21st-ranked Lukacs fell to Fahgen and freshman Maros Horny lost to Walsh in the sixth spot.
"It wasn't a great match from us," head coach Matt Knoll said, "That being said, SMU did a great job really playing to their strengths, hiding their weaknesses, and maximizing their opportunities."
The Bears are now 1-0 on the season and will travel to Gainesville, Florida, for a match with the 10th-ranked Gators on Sunday, February 25 at 1 p.m.
"I think we are going to have to play our best tennis to have a chance to win," Knoll said. "They (Florida) have a lot of enthusiasm, a high talent level, and a lot of fans."
Live stats for the match against Florida can be found on GatorZone.com.
#7 Baylor 4, #43 SMU 3
1. Robin Fahgen (SMU) def. #21 Denes Lukacs (BU) 6-4, 6-4
2. #13 Jordan Rux (BU) def. Chris Hooshyar (SMU) 6-1, 6-1
3. Julian Bley (BU) def. #118 Artem Baradach (SMU) 6-4, 6-3
4. #40 Attila Bucko (BU) def. David Costa (SMU) 6-3, 7-5
5. Marc Bruche BU) def. Gaston Cuadranti (SMU) 6-4,6-7, 6-1
6. Darren Walsh (SMU) def. Marcos Horny (BU) 2-6, 6-2, 6-2
1. Denes Lukacs/Jordan Rux (BU) def. Robin Fahgen/Chris Hooshyar (SMU) 8-1
2. Artem Baradach/David Costa(SMU) def. Attila Bucko/Julian Bley (BU) 8-3
3. Darren Walsh/Adham El-Effendi (SMU) def. David Galic/Maros Horny (BU) 9-8