Denes Lukacs was one of three Bears to extend their singles match to three sets.
Jan. 25, 2009
GAINESVILLE, Fla. - The seventh-ranked Baylor men's tennis team suffered its first loss of the season when the 10th ranked Florida Gators upset the Bears 7-0 Sunday afternoon at Linder Stadium in the Ring Tennis Complex.
It was the first time the Bears have been shut out since a 7-0 loss at then No. 1 Virginia on March 1, 2008.
Baylor is now 1-1 on the season and 4-3 all-time versus the University of Florida. "Florida out competed us," head coach Matt Knoll said. "They came out and fought from the beginning to the end and did all of the things we expected them to do and we just didn't have any kind of response."
The Bears lost the doubles point for the second straight match, as the Gators posted wins at No. 1 and No. 2 doubles. The Florida tandem of Antoine Benneteau and Joey Burkhardt beat Denes Lukacs and Jordan Rux, 8-4 and Johnny Hamui and Jeff Dadamo defeated Attila Bucko and Julian Bley, 8-5.
After taking the doubles point, Florida shut the door on the match by winning at No. 6, No. 4, and No. 1 singles.
Florida went on to win the final three singles matches, at No. 5, No. 2, and No. 3 to complete the shutout of Baylor. The Bears will host the National Indoor Qualifier next weekend, starting on Friday, Jan. 30 when they play Utah.
"We really have to start getting better," Knoll said. "This next weekend is going to be important for us, we have another chance to prove we are a good team."
Order of Finish: 6,4,1,5,2,3
1) #87 Carlos Cueto (UF) def. #21 Denes Lukacs (BU) 6-0, 0-6, 6-3
2) Alex Lacroix (UF) def. #13 Jordan Rux (BU) 6-7, 6-4, 12-10
3) Antoine Benneteau (UF) def. Julian Bley (BU) 6-4, 7-6
4) #63 Joey Burkhardt (UF) def. #72 Dominik Mueller (BU) 7-5,6-4
5) Jonny Hamui (UF) def. #40 Attila Bucko (BU) 6-1, 4-6, 6-2
6) Jeff Dadamo (UF) def. Marc Bruche (BU) 6-2, 6-4
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3
1) Antoine Benneteau/Joey Burkhardt (UF) def. Denes Lukacs/Jordan Rux (BU) 8-4
2) Johnny Hamui/Jeff Dadamo (UF) def. Attila Bucko/Julian Bley (BU) 8-5
3) Alex Lacroix/Carlos Cueto (UF) def. David Galic/Maros Horny (BU) 8-6