Jan. 30, 2005
BOULDER, Colo. -
Men's tennis continued its winning ways Sunday as the Bears defeated Colorado 6-1 at the Harvest House on the Colorado Campus. Baylor is now 2-0 in conference play this season.
The Bears came out strong early in doubles by taking two of three from the Buffaloes. No. 7 duo Lars Poerschke and Matija Zgaga defeated No. 33 Marcos Digliodo and Chad Tsuda 8-3. Michal Kokta and Jon Reckewey overpowered Marek Dvorak and Jan Zelezny 8-5.
In singles action, Benjamin Becker didn't start things off the way he wanted dropping the first set 3-6. However Becker showed resilience coming back to put away Marko Bundalo in straight sets 6-1, 6-4.
True freshman No. 11 Lars Poerschke continued with consistency in the No. 2 position. Poerschke won a tough tiebreaker in the first set and dominated the second against Jan Zelezny 7-6 (3), 6-1.
The only loss on the day for the Bears came in the No. 4 court. Colorado's Peter Bjork was too much for No. 45 Matjia Zgaga as Bjork defeated Zgaga 7-5, 6-4.
The Bears return home for their season home opener Thursday against No. 8 USC at the Baylor Tennis Center. The Bears then get back on the road Feb. 6 and don't return home until after the National Team Indoor held Feb. 17-20.
1) (No. 7) Poerschke/Zgaga (BU) def. (No. 33) Digliodo/Tsuda 8-3
2) Bundalo/Bjork (CU) def Becker/Portnov 8-3
3) Kokta/Reckewey (BU) def Dvorak/Zelezny 8-5
1) Benjamin Becker (BU) def. Marko Bundalo 3-6, 6-1, 6-4
2) (No. 11) Lars Poerschke (BU) def. Jan Zelezny 7-6 (3), 6-1
3) Greg Shearer (BU) def. Marcos Digliodo 6-4, 6-4
4) Peter Bjork (CU) def. (No. 45) Matija Zgaga 7-5, 6-4
5) Michal Kokta (BU) def. Marek Dvorak 6-4, 6-0
6) Vladimir Portnov (BU) def. Chad Tsuda 7-6 (4), 6-3