Jan. 30, 2007
WACO, Texas -
The second-ranked Baylor men's tennis team blanked 48th-ranked Louisiana-Lafayette 7-0 at the Baylor Tennis Center on Tuesday afternoon.
The Bears quickly jumped out to an early lead in doubles play as Lars Poerschke, a junior, and sophomore David Galic quickly defeated Zack Taylor and Shaun Ellison 8-2. Senior Matija Zgaga and freshman Dominik Mueller secured the doubles point for the Bears with a victory over Jorge Delgado and Dusan Tabak 8-3, while sophomore Matt Brown and newcomer Attila Bucko followed with a win over Piotre Banas and Janusz Conradi 8-6.
Baylor swept all six single matches in two sets to claim the victory. Poerschke, ranked No. 56 and playing at the No. 1 court, gained Baylor its second point with a 6-2, 6-2 downing of Banas, while Mueller followed suit with an identical winning score over Delgado on court five. Baylor's top-ranked player, No. 17 Michal Kokta, clinched the match for the Bears when he won the first set against Tabak, 7-5 then led 1-0 in the second set when Tabak retired due to injury.
Adding to the sweep for Baylor were victories by 66th-ranked Denes Lukacs, a freshman, on court three, Zgaga on court four and Bucko at No. 6.
"I was very pleased with our performance today against a very competitive team," said head coach Matt Knoll. "It was a good, pleasing performance and everyone played very hard," he added.
The Bears, now 3-0 on the season, will hit the road for two matches when they play at No. 31 Kentucky on Friday, Feb. 2 and at 15th-ranked Florida on Sunday, Feb. 4. Both matches begin at 12 p.m. (Central). With the loss, UL-Lafayette drops to 1-2 on the season.
#2 Baylor 7, #48 Louisiana-Lafayette 0
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2
1. Zgaga/Mueller (BU) def. Delgado/Tabak (ULL) 8-3
2. Brown/Bucko (BU) def. Banas/Conradi (ULL) 8-6
3. Poerschke/Galic (BU) def. Taylor/Ellison (ULL) 8-2
Order of Finish: 1, 5, 2, 3, 4, 6
1. #56 Lars Poerschke (BU) def. Piotre Banas (ULL) 6-2, 6-2
2. #17 Michal Kokta (BU) def. Dusan Tabak (ULL) 7-5, 1-0, ret. inj.
3. # 66 Denes Lukacs (BU) def. Janusz Conradi (ULL) 6-3, 6-1
4. Matija Zgaga (BU) def. Shaun Ellison (ULL) 6-3, 6-1
5. #53 Dominik Mueller (BU) def. Jorge Delgado (ULL) 6-2, 6-2
6. Attila Bucko (BU) def. Zack Taylor (ULL) 6-2, 6-4