Feb. 15, 2008
The fourth-ranked Baylor men's tennis team suffered its first loss of the season when the 21st-ranked and 12th-seeded Oklahoma State Cowboys upset the Bears 4-2 in first-round action of the 16-team ITA National Team Indoor Championships in Seattle on Friday morning.
The Bears, now 7-1 on the season and 14-6 all-time in National Team Indoor Championships play, will take on 12th-ranked North Carolina in second-round action on Saturday at 10:00 a.m. (CT). North Carolina lost in the first round to Mississippi, 4-1.
"Oklahoma State was better today. They competed and played at a higher level than we did. We face a big challenge again tomorrow. I'm excited to see how we'll respond," said head coach Matt Knoll.
The Bears got a point on the scoreboard first with wins at No. 3 and No. 1 doubles, respectively. However, the Cowboys swept the top three singles spots and No. 5 to claim the victory. The match came down to No. 5 singles where OSU's Anton Bobytski beat freshman Jordan Rux 6-3, 7-5. Despite losing the first set and trailing 5-1 in the second set, Rux broke Bobytski twice to get back into the match. But Bobytski rallied at 5-5 to take the last two sets and clinch the win for the Cowboys. Sophomore Dominik Mueller earned Baylor's lone singles point with a straight-sets win at No. 6.
Complete ITA Indoor results, live scoring, results and recaps of each match will be posted at:
No. 12 Oklahoma State 4, No. 4 Baylor 2 (listed by seeds)
ITA National Team Indoor
Nordstrom Tennis Center - Seattle, Wash.
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 6, 1, 5*
1) #29 Oleksandr Nedovyesov (OS) def. Lars Poerschke (BU) 6-4, 6-4
2) #71 Ivan Puchkarov (OS) def. #10 Denes Lukacs (BU) 6-3, 6-4
3) #77 Dmytro Petrov (OS) def. #80 David Galic (BU) 6-3, 6-2
4) Gwen Corches (BU) vs. Nathan Byrnes (OS) DNF
5) Mark Kepler (OS) def. Jordan Rux (BU) 6-3, 7-5
6) Dominik Mueller (BU) def. Anton Bobytskyi (OS) 6-4, 6-3
Order of Finish: 3,1
1) Galic/Rux (BU) def. Nedovyesov /Byrnes (OS) 8-5
2) Poerschke/Mueller (B) vs. Petrov /Puchkarov (OS) DNF
3) Lukacs/Atilla Bucko (BU) def. Bobytskyi /Kepler (OS) 8-3