Feb. 16, 2007
Seventh-seeded Baylor defeated No. 10 Duke, 4-0, Friday in first round play at the USTA/ITA National Men's Team Indoor Championships at the Midtown Tennis Club.
Baylor (7-1) won the doubles point, then got wins in singles from Denes Lukacs, Dominik Mueller and Michal Kokta to claim the victory. Mueller came back from a 4-1 second-set deficit to beat David Goulet 7-6, 6-4 at No. 5 singles to clinch the win.
"Today was a tremendous team effort. Duke beat us in this tournament last year so we knew we had our work cut for us. It's going to be even tougher tomorrow against Ohio State," said head coach Matt Knoll.
The loss ends Duke's (3-3) streak of Team Indoor quarterfinal appearances at 10. The Blue Devils edged the Bears 4-3 in last year's first round.
Baylor won the Team Indoor title the last time the event was in Chicago in 2005. The Bears improve to 13-4 in six appearances and have now reached the quarterfinals four of the last five years. Baylor takes a 4-3 lead in its all-time series against Duke.
The Bears will face second-seeded and No. 2 ranked Ohio State in Saturday's 3 p.m. quarterfinals. The Buckeyes posted a 4-0 victory over Stanford to advance.
USTA/ITA National Men's Team Indoor Championship
#5 Baylor 4, #11 Duke 0
Midtown Tennis Club - Chicago
Order of finish: 6, 1 5
1. #17 Michal Kokta (BU) def. #100 Joey Atas (DUKE) 3-6, 6-3, 6-4
2. #56 Lars Poerschke (BU) vs. #80 Peter Rodrigues (DUKE) 6-7, 6-4, DNF
3. Matt Brown (BU) vs. #54 Kiril Dimitrov (DUKE) 5-7, 6-4, DNF
4. Matija Zgaga (BU) vs. David Goulet (DUKE) 6-7 (4-7), 7-6 (7-2), DNF
5.#53 Dominik Mueller (BU) def. #84 Dylan Arnould (DUKE) 7-6, 6-4
6. #66 Denes Lukacs (BU) def. Aaron Carpenter (DUKE) 6-2, 6-4
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3
1. #4 Atas/Goulet (DUKE) def. #44 Brown/David Galic (BU) 8-5
2. Poerschke/ Zgaga (BU) def. Dimitrov/Ned Samuelson (DUKE) 8-6
3. Kokta/ Mueller (BU) def. Rodrigues/ Arnould (DUKE) 9-8 (7-3)