Feb. 17, 2008
With a 4-1 victory over 38th-ranked Penn State, the fourth-ranked Baylor men's tennis team got back on the winning track in final day action at the ITA National Team Indoor Championships in Seattle.
The Bears, now 8-2 on the season and 15-7 all-time in National Team Indoor Championships play.
Against Penn State, Baylor took the doubles point winning at courts one and two. The two teams split matches at No. 1 and No. 3 and Lars Poerschke and Dominik Mueller, playing at No. 2, posted a 9-8 win over Adam Slagter and Guillaume St. Maurice to claim the point for the Bears.
In singles Penn State earned its only point of the match when Ryan Gormley downed Gwen Corches at No. 4. Baylor then reeled off three straight wins to seal the match. Poerschke defeated 51st-ranked Michael James on court one and on court three, 80th-ranked David Galic posted a straight-sets win over Brendan Lynch. Mueller, playing at No. 5 for the second time this season, clinched the match for the Bears, extending his win streak to nine matches. The sophomore downed St. Maurice in straight sets.
Baylor now returns home to host 52nd-ranked Kentucky on Sunday, Feb. 24 at 2:00 p.m.
No. 4 Baylor 4, #38 Penn State 1
ITA National Team Indoor
Nordstrom Tennis Center - Seattle, Wash.
Order of Finish: 4, 1, 3, 5*v
1) Lars Poerschke (BU) def. #51 Michael James (PSU) 6-1, 1-6, 6-2
2) #10 Denes Lukacs (BU) vs. Adam Slagter (PSU) DNF
3) #80 David Galic (BU) def. Brandon Lynch (PSU) 6-4, 6-4
4) Ryan Gormley (PSU) def. Gwen Corches (BU) 6-2, 6-1
5) Dominik Mueller (BU) def. Guillaume St. Maurice (PSU) 6-3, 6-1
6) Attila Bucko (BU) def. James Dwyer (PSU) DNF
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2
1) Galic/Rux (BU) def. Gormley/Jake Toole (PSU) 8-3
2) Poerschke/Mueller (BU) def. Slagter/St. Maurice (PSU) 9-8
3) James/Lynch (PS) def. Lukacs/Bucko (BU) 8-4