Dominik Mueller clinched the match for the Bears and extended his win streak to 10 matches.
Feb. 24, 2008
WACO, Texas - The 11th-ranked Baylor Bears defeated No. 53 Kentucky 7-0 in men's tennis Sunday at the Baylor Tennis Center and extended its home win streak to 19 matches.
Baylor won the doubles point to take an early lead over Kentucky. The tandem of Denes Lukacs and Gwen Corches earned the first win by defeating Will Beck and Shane Collins 8-3. Securing the point for the Bears were David Galic and Jordan Rux with their victory over Bruno Agostinelli and Brad Cox 9-7.
The men went on to win all six of the singles matches. Taking the first singles point for Baylor was freshman Jordan Rux with a 6-3, 6-2 victory over Will Beck. Clinching the Bear's win and extending his singles win streak to 10 was sophomore Dominik Mueller with his defeat of Marcus Sundh 6-4, 6-3 on court four. The Bears posted wins over Kentucky's two ranked opponents when No. 17 Lars Poerschke defeated 36th-ranked Bruno Agostinelli and 12th-ranked Denes Lukacs downed No. 63 Will Ward. Gwen Corches and No. 57 David Galic also posted victories for the Bears.
"Super performance from the team," said head coach Matt Knoll, "to beat Kentucky 7-0 is impressive, but the score does not show how hard fought the match was. It was a super performance all around."
The Bears are now 9-2 for the season and have their next match Wednesday, February 27 against No. 3 Ohio State at 3 p.m. at the Baylor Tennis Center.
#11 Baylor 7, #53 Kentucky 0
Order of Finish: 6, 2, 4*, 3, 5, 1
1. #17 Lars Poerschke (BU) def. #36 Bruno Agostinelli (UK) 7-5, 7-6 (5)
2. #12 Denes Lukacs (BU) def. #63 Will Ward (UK) 6-3, 6-2
3. #57 David Galic (BU) def. Brad Cox (UK) 7-6, 1-6, 3-2 (2)
4. Dominik Mueller (BU) def. Marcus Sundh (UK) 6-4, 6-3
5. Gwen Corches (BU) def. Alberto Gonzalez (UK) 7-5, 6-7 (5), 10-6
6. Jordan Rux (BU) def. Will Beck (UK) 6-3, 6-2
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2
1. David Galic/Jordan Rux (BU) def. Bruno Agostinelli/Brad Cox (UK) 9-7
2. Will Ward/Marcus Sundh (UK) def. Lars Poerschke/Dominik Mueller (BU) 8-7 (3)
3. Denes Lukacs/Gwen Corches (BU) def. Will Beck/Shane Collins (UK) 8-3
* clinched match