March 2, 2007
WACO, Texas -
Men's Tennis Blanks VCU, 4-0
No. 4 Bears to host TCU on Sunday.
WACO, Texas - The fourth-ranked Baylor men's tennis team defeated No. 21 Virginia Commonwealth 4-0 on Friday night at the Baylor Tennis Center to raise its record to 10-2 on the season. The loss drops VCU to 10-5.
Senior Michal Kokta clinched the match for the Bears on court No. 1 with a victory over VCU senior Arnaud Le Cloerec.
Baylor started strong by winning the doubles point when Lars Poerschke and Denes Lukacs teamed together for the second time this season to claim victory. The tandem defeated VCU's Emil Lindgren and Sebastian Ripoll 8-3 on court two. The most dramatic match of doubles came on court three where Baylor's Kokta and Dominik Mueller trailed 5-2 but rallied and reeled off wins in the final five games of the set to post a 9-7 win over Sergi Arumi and Sebastien Deridder. The victory raised the duo's season record to 5-0 and extending their win streak. Baylor earned the sweep when David Galic and Matija Zgaga defeated Petr Olsak and Le Cloerec on court one, 8-5.
The Bears prevailed in three singles matches to halt the match with a 4-0 win. On court two, 28th-ranked Poerschke won the first set 6-1 then VCU's Lindgren retired from the match. Mueller, a freshman, playing at No. 5, quickly downed Alex Israel 6-1, 6-3. On the top court, Kokta, ranked No. 25, trailed 4-1 in the first set before rebounding to win five of the next six games and win the tiebreaker 7-5 to claim the first set 7-6 over 54th-ranked Le Cloerec. Kokta went on to blank Le Cloerec 6-0 in the second set to clinch the match for the Bears.
Baylor will host 56th-ranked TCU on Sunday, March 4 at 1 p.m. (CT).
#4 Baylor 4, #21 VCU 0
Baylor Tennis Center - Waco, Texas
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1
1. David Galic/Zgaga (BU) def. Petr Olsak/Le Cloerec (VCU) 8-5
2. Poerschke/Lukacs (BU) def. Lindgren/Sebastian Ripoll (VCU) 8-3
3. #50 Kokta/Mueller (BU) def. Arumi/Deridder (VCU) 9-7
Order of Finish: 2, 5, 1
1. #25 Michal Kokta (BU) def. #54 Arnaud Le Cloerec (VCU) 7-6(5), 6-0
2. #28 Lars Poerschke (BU) def. Emil Lindgren (VCU) 6-1, ret.
3. Matt Brown (BU) vs. Sergi Arumi (VCU) DNF
4. #100 Matija Zgaga (BU) vs. Sebastien Deridder (VCU) DNF
5. #91 Dominik Mueller (BU) def. Alex Israel (VCU) 6-1, 6-3
6. Denes Lukacs (BU) vs. Damien Lacombe (VCU) DNF