Denes Lukacs clinched the match for the Bears.
March 4, 2007
WACO, Texas - Baylor men's tennis, ranked No. 4, defeated 56th-ranked TCU 7-0 on Sunday afternoon at the Baylor Tennis Center.
Baylor started strong by taking the doubles point with three wins over TCU. Lars Poerschke and Denes Lukacs took the first doubles match defeating Andrew Ulrich and Stuart Row 8-1. Baylor's duo of Michal Kokta and Dominik Mueller, ranked at the No. 50 spot, sealed the doubles point for the Bears with an 8-2 win over TCU's Christopher Biro and Caleb Bulls while Baylor's team of Matija Zgaga and David Galic defeated Cosmin Cotet and Kriegler Brink 8-4.
In singles action, No. 25 Kokta gained the Bears another point defeating Cotet 6-3, 4-0 (ret.). Zgaga, ranked at the No. 100 spot, followed shortly after with a 6-1, 6-2 win over Ulrich. Lukacs clinched the match for the Bears defeating Bulls 6-4, 6-3 while Bucko added another win for the Bears with a 6-3, 6-2 downing of Row. No. 28 Poerschke defeated Biro in a two set match 7-6(2), 6-0 while Brown gained the Bears another win defeating Brink 6-7(4), 6-4, 1-0 (10-4).
"It was a great way to end the first half of our season going into spring break. I thought the guys did a nice job in doubles. They were in control of all the matches. Matija was strong in singles and I was proud that Matt was able to come through and we were able to beat them 7-0," head coach Matt Knoll said.
The Bears now 11-2 on the season will return to action when they host No. 3 Virginia on Saturday, March 17 at 6 p.m.
With the loss TCU drops to 1-4 on the season.
# 4 Baylor 7, #56 TCU 0
Baylor Tennis Center - Waco, Texas
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1
1. Zgaga/Galic (BU) def. Cotet/Brink (TCU) 8-4
2. Poerschke/Lukacs (BU) def. Ulrich/Row (TCU) 8-1
3. #50 Kokta/Mueller (BU) def. Biro/Bulls (TCU) 8-2
Order of Finish: 1, 4, 5*, 6, 2, 3
1. #25 Michal Kokta (BU) def. Cosmin Cotet (TCU) 6-3, 4-0 (ret.)
2. #28 Lars Poerschke (BU) def. Christopher Biro (TCU) 7-6(2), 6-0
3. Matt Brown (BU) def. Kriegler Brink (TCU) 6-7(4), 6-4, 1-0 (10-4)
4. #100 Matija Zgaga (BU) def. Andrew Ulrich (TCU) 6-1, 6-2
5. Denes Lukacs (BU) def. Caleb Bulls (TCU) 6-4, 6-3
6. Attila Bucko (BU) def. Stuart Row (TCU) 6-3, 6-2