Jordan Rux posted two wins against Pepperdine.
March 12, 2008
MALIBU, Calif. - The 11th-ranked Baylor men's tennis team was edged out by Pepperdine on Wednesday afternoon at the Ralphs-Straus Tennis Center. After the 4-3 loss, the Bears are now 10-7 on the season while Pepperdine moves to 4-6.
Baylor's three points came off two doubles victories and singles wins at Nos. 5 and 6. In doubles, Gwen Corches and Jordan Rux got the Bears' first doubles win with an 8-5 victory over Mahmoud Kamel and Alejandro Moreno on court 3. Pepperdine countered when Omar Altmann and Andre Begemann downed #49 Dominik Mueller and Attila Bucko (BU), 9-7. No. 54 Denes Lukacs/David Galic (BU) defeated Pepperdine's James Lemke and Bassam Beidas at No. 1 to claim the doubles point for the Bears.
In singles, Rux and Bucko were Baylor's lone victors. Rux, a freshman, lost his first set to Mahmoud Kamel 6-2 but rebounded to take the second 6-3 and won a tiebreaker in the third 7-6(4) to give the Bears another point. Baylor's third point came when Bucko downed Moreno in three sets. Like Rux, Bucko lost the first set (6-4) but took the next two 6-4, 6-3.
After completing their 3-match southern California trip, the Bears return home and are idle until they host SMU on Thursday, March 27 at 6 p.m.
#32 Pepperdine 4, #14 Baylor 3
Order of finish: 1,2,4,6,3,5
1. #19 Andre Begemann (PEP) def. #10 Denes Lukacs (BU) 6-2, 6-2
2. #25 Bassam Beidas (PEP) def. #102 David Galic (BU) 6-3, 6-4
3. #97 Omar Altmann (PEP) def. Matt Brown (BU) 6-7 (3-7), 6-0, 6-4
4. James Lemke (PEP) def. #75 Dominik Mueller (BU) 6-2, 7-6 (7-5)
5. Jordan Rux (BU) def. Mahmoud Kamel (PEP) 2-6, 6-3, 7-6 (7-4)
6. Attila Bucko (BU) def. Alejandro Moreno (PEP) 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
Order of finish: 3,1,2
1. Omar Altmann/Andre Begemann (PEP) def. #49 Dominik Mueller/Attila Bucko (BU) 9-7
2. #54 Denes Lukacs/David Galic (BU) def. James Lemke/Bassam Beidas (PEP) 8-5
3. Gwen Corches/Jordan Rux (BU) def. Mahmoud Kamel/Alejandro Moreno (PEP) 8-5