March 30, 2008
WACO, Texas- The 18th-ranked Baylor Bears defeated Memphis, 6-1, Saturday night in men's tennis action at the Baylor Tennis Center. Baylor is now 14-7 for the season while Memphis drops to 6-10.
Baylor fell behind early when Memphis took wins on courts two and three to take the doubles point. The doubles team of Dominik Mueller and Attila Bucko went down early to team Leon Nasemann and Jimmy Khougassian 2-8. The 60th-ranked doubles team David Galic and Denes Lukacs earned a win over team Amrit Narasimhan and Charlie Ramsay 8-5. The Bears, however, could not pull out the last doubles match; despite coming back from a 0-3 deficit, doubles team Jordan Rux and Gwen Corches lost to Jordan Smith and Spencer Heflin 7-9 to give Memphis the point.
"It was a long day, playing two matches was tough" said head coach Matt Knoll, "We did a great job bouncing back from doubles. Memphis had great doubles skills and you have to give them a lot of credit, but we came back and won all of our singles. This gives us a nice winning streak to head into conference with and gives us momentum. We are looking forward to getting some rest and then getting back into conference."
After a rain delay interrupted early singles play, Baylor came back, sweeping singles, to defeat Memphis. The Bears' first singles point came from Jordan Rux with a decisive victory over Jordan Smith 6-3, 6-0. Dominik Mueller, ranked 107th, clinched the match for Baylor with his win over Charlie Ramsay 6-1, 7-6(5). Concluding the match was an exciting third-set tie breaker resulting in a 4-6, 6-1, 10-7 victory for Matt Brown over opponent Benedikt Fischer.
In previous action today, Baylor defeat Laredo Community College 5-2.
Baylor's next match is Wednesday, April 2 at 6 p.m. against Texas A&M in College Station.
#18 BAYLOR 6, MEMPHIS 1
Order of Finish: 3, 4, 1, 5, 2, 6,br>
1. #14 Denes Lukacs (BU) def. Amrit Narasimhan (MEM) 6-2, 6-1
2. Gwen Corches (BU) def. Leon Nasemann (MEM) 6-4, 5-7, 10-2
3. Jordan Rux (BU) def. Jordan Smith (MEM) 6-3, 6-0
4. Attila Bucko (BU) def. Micheal Gaerthoeffner (MEM) 6-2, 6-2
5. #107 Dominik Mueller (BU) def. Charlie Ramsay (MEM) 6-1, 7-6 (7-5)
6. Matt Brown (BU) def. Benedikt Fischer (MEM) 4-6, 6-1, 10-7
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3
1. #60 David Galic/ Lukacs (BU) def. Narasimhan/ Ramsay (MEM) 8-5
2. Nasemann/Jimmy Khougassian (MEM) def. Mueller/ Bucko (BU) 8-2
3. Smith/Spencer Heflin (MEM) def. Rux/ Corches (BU) 9-7
#18 Baylor 5, Laredo College 2
Order of Finish: 6, 5, 4, 2, 1, 3
1. #14 Denes Lukacs (BU) def. Moacir Santos (LCC) 3-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-8)
2. Francisco Segura (LCC) def. #102 David Galic (BU) 6-0, 7-6 (7-4)
3. Jose C. Tolentino (LCC) def. Gwen Corches (BU) 2-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-8)
4. #107 Dominik Mueller (BU) def. Max Moreau (LCC) 6-1, 6-3
5. Attila Bucko (BU) def. Diego Troiano (LCC) 7-5, 6-0
6. Matt Brown (BU) def. Luis Campos (LCC) 6-0, 6-0
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2
1. #60 Galic/ Lukacs (BU) def. Santos/ Segura (LCC) 8-5
2. Mueller/ Bucko (BU) def. Tolentino/ Moreau (LCC) 8-5
3. Corches/Jordan Rux (BU) def. Troiano/ Campos (LCC) 8-3