Denes Lukacs won in both singles and doubles against Oklahoma.
April 13, 2008
NORMAN, Okla. - Baylor's 14th-ranked men's tennis team extended its win streak to seven matches with its 6-1 victory over the Oklahoma Sooners on Sunday afternoon at OU's Headington Family Tennis Center. The win raises Baylor's overall record to 17-7 and 3-0 in Big 12 play while Oklahoma falls to 10-11 and 0-4.
The Bears won the doubles point with victories at the top two courts. No. 44 David Galic and Denes Lukacs triumphed over Andrei Daescu and Federico Chavarria, 8-6 on court one. Lars Poerschke and Attila Bucko, playing on court two, downed Sergey Avdeyev and Alex Joitoiu, 8-6.
Due to an injury to Vlad Marinescu, the Sooners defaulted at No. 3 doubles and No. 3 singles.
Lukacs, Galic, Dominik Mueller, Bucko and Jordan Rux claimed five singles points for the Bears. Mueller and Rux each saw their matches go to three sets while Lukacs and Corches won in straight sets. The Sooners lone point came when the 32nd-ranked Daescu upset the 20th-ranked Poerschke in three sets.
"I thought our guys put in a super effort today. The conditions were really rough, 30 mile per hour winds. We managed the conditions well and were able to post another road win," said head coach Matt Knoll.
The Bears put their unbeaten Big 12 mark on the line when they host the Texas Longhorns on Wednesday, April 16 at 6 p.m. The Texas/Baylor match was originally scheduled for last Wednesday (April 9) but was rescheduled due to the threat of rain in Waco. Texas, ranked No. 4, was upset on Saturday by 20th-ranked Texas Tech 4-3 on Saturday.
#14 Baylor 6, Oklahoma 1
1. #32 Andrei Daescu (OU) def. #20 Lars Poerschke (BU) 6-4, 2-6, 6-2
2. #10 Denes Lukacs (BU) def. Sergey Avdeyev (OU) 6-3, 6-4
3. #104 David Galic (BU) def. Vlad Marinescu (OU) 1-0 ret.
4. #101 Dominik Mueller (BU) def. Federico Chavarria (OU) 3-6, 6-2, 6-0
5. Attila Bucko (BU) def. Alex Joitoiu (OU) 6-2, 6-4
6. Jordan Rux (BU) def. Ryan Thomas (OU) 6-4, 5-7, 10-8
1. #44 Galic/Lukacs (BU) def. Daescu/Chavarria (OU) 8-6
2. Poerschke/Bucko (BU) def. Avdeyev/Joitoiu (OU) 8-6
3. OU Default