Sophomore Denes Lukacs claimed Baylor's first point versus Texas.
April 16, 2008
WACO, Texas - The 13th-ranked Baylor men's tennis team started this week's play with a loss to the seventh-rank University of Texas 4-3 Wednesday evening at the Baylor Tennis Center. The defeat drops Baylor's overall record to 17-8 and 3-1 in Big 12 play, while Texas moves up to 18-4 and 4-1.
The Bears fell behind early as Texas took the doubles point. First off the court was the doubles team of Dominik Mueller and Jordan Rux with their loss to Dimitar Kutrovsky and Josh Zavala 8-6. Lars Poerschke and Attila Bucko earned Baylor's only doubles victory with their upset of No. 35 Luis Diaz Barriga and Miguel Reyes Varela 9-8 (7).
No. 12 Denes Lukacs claimed Baylor's first point with his defeat of No. 37 Kellen Damico 6-3, 6-2 on court two. Despite making a second-set comeback, No. 8 Poerschke fell to No. 17 Kutrovsky 6-4, 7-6 (6). Mueller, Rux, and Bucko each took their matches to three sets. Rux and Bucko were able to come out victorious; Mueller, however, was unable to overcome No. 115 Diaz Barriga, who clinched the match for the Longhorns 6-4, 1-6, 6-2.
"We were not good enough," said head coach Matt Knoll, "We were closer in doubles than I expected, but we have spots where we are stronger and spots where we are weaker. You need guys to step up and win the close matches and we have not done that. We needed this match to see where we are. I think we are a top-ten quality team, but we have not shown it."
Baylor finishes up its Big 12 with matches against Nebraska Friday, April 18 and Texas Tech Saturday, April 19. Both matches are scheduled to begin at 6 p.m. and will be played in Waco at the Baylor Tennis Center.
#7 TEXAS 4, #13 BAYLOR 3
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1, 4, 6, 5
1. #17 Dimitar Kutrovsky (UT) def. #8 Lars Poerschke (BU) 6-4, 7-6 (6)
2. #12 Denes Lukacs (BU) def. #37 Kellen Damico (UT) 6-3, 6-2
3. #45 Ed Corrie (UT) def. #113 David Galic (BU) 6-1, 6-4
4. #115 Luis Diaz Barriga (UT) def. #96 Dominik Mueller (BU) 6-4, 1-6, 6-2
5. Jordan Rux (BU) def. Miguel Reyes Varela (UT) 3-6, 7-6 (3), 7-5
6. Attila Bucko (BU) def. Milan Mihailovic (UT) 1-6, 7-6 (7), 6-2
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2
1. #6 Corrie/Damico (UT) def. Galic/Lukacs (BU) 8-5
2. Poerschke/Bucko (BU) def. #35 Diaz Barriga/Reyes Varela (UT) 9-8 (5)
3. Kutrovsky/Josh Zavala (UT) def. Mueller/Rux (BU) 8-6