April 19, 2008
WACO, Texas - The 13th-ranked Baylor men's tennis team defeated 16th-ranked Texas Tech 5-2 Saturday evening at the Baylor Tennis Center. Baylor's record moves to 19-8 overall and 5-1 in Big 12 play, while Texas Tech drops to 19-4 and 4-2.
With the win, Baylor claims a share of the Big 12 Conference regular season championship. The triumph marks the Bears' seventh-straight regular season conference championship and eighth overall in the league's 12-year history.
Baylor will receive the No. 2 seed in the upcoming Big 12 Conference Championship while Texas earned the No. 1 seed. The league's postseason tournament will be held in College Station, Texas, April 25-27.
Baylor took the lead early with wins on courts two and three in doubles action. The tandem of Dominik Mueller and Jordan Rux walked off the court first with their victory on court three over Ilya Babinciuc and Lenoir Ramos 8-2. Lars Poerschke and Attila Bucko upset 50th-ranked Michael Breler and Sinisa Markovic to clinch the doubles point 8-3. On court one, David Galic and Denes Lukacs fell to No. 10 Christian Rojmar and Bojan Szumanski in a tie-breaker 8-7(0).
"This is a big deal and something to feel good about," said head coach Matt Knoll. "We are playing our best tennis of the year right now. Our doubles are terrific and ahead of where we thought, and in singles we got four points cleanly. We competed well on every court and really fought hard. It was a great showing for us."
In singles, the Bears dominated on courts one and two with swift victories. No. 8 Poerschke, playing at No. 1, downed No. 28 Szumanski 6-3, 6-3 to give Baylor its first singles point. Immediately following on court two, No. 12 Lukacs claimed victory over No. 85 Markovic 6-2, 6-3. Clinching the match and the Big 12 Championship for the Bears was No. 96 Mueller with his win over Babinciuc 7-6(5), 6-1. Also contributing to the win was Rux with a victory over Rojmar 7-5, 6-4.
#13 Baylor 5, #16 Texas Tech 2
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 4, 5, 3, 6
1. #8 Lars Poerschke (BU) def. #28 Bojan Szumanski (TT) 6-3, 6-3
2. #12 Denes Lukacs (BU) def. #85 Sinisa Markovic (TT) 6-2, 6-3
3. Lenoir Ramos (TT) def. #113 David Galic (BU) 6-7 (2-7), 7-6 (8-6), 10-8
4. #96 Dominik Mueller (BU) def. Ilya Babinciuc (TT) 7-6 (7-5), 6-1
5. Jordan Rux (BU) def. Christian Rojmar (TT) 7-5, 6-4
6. Michael Breler (TT) def. Attila Bucko (BU) 6-3, 3-6, 6-4
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1
1. #10 Rojmar/Szumanski (TT) def. Galic/Lukacs (BU) 8-7 (0)
2. Poerschke/Bucko (BU) def. #50 Breler/ Markovic (TT) 8-3
3. Mueller/Rux (BU) def. Babinciuc/Ramos (TT) 8-2