April 22, 2007
WACO, Texas - The fourth-ranked Baylor men's tennis team claimed its sixth straight Big 12 title with a 5-2 win over No. 28 Oklahoma Sunday afternoon at the Baylor Tennis Center. The win marks Baylor's seventh conference title earned in program history, all under head coach Matt Knoll. The Bears have won four consecutive matches and are undefeated in Big 12 action. With the win the Bears improve to 22-3 on the season, 6-0 in conference play.
The Sooners took an early lead claiming the doubles point with two wins over the Bears. Both Oklahoma duos won 8-5 as Marek Velicka and Ryan Thomas defeated Denes Lukacs and Dominik Mueller on court three and Federico Chavarria and Andrei Daescu, ranked at the No. 60 spot, bested Matija Zgaga and David Galic on court one. Baylor's tandem of Lars Poerschke and Michal Kokta claimed the only doubles win of the afternoon to remain undefeated in conference play with an 8-4 win over Rob McKenzie and Vaclav Kucera.
The Bears dominated in singles action with five wins. Lukacs swept Chavarria 6-0, 6-0 on court six to finish undefeated in conference play, while Lars Poerschke, ranked at the No. 14 spot, secured his third straight win over a ranked opponent defeating No. 62 Kucera 6-3, 6-4. No. 102 Mueller added another point for the Bears with a 6-0, 6-2 downing of Ondrej Kacmar on court five. Kokta, ranked at the No. 23 spot, clinched the match for the Bears with a 6-4, 7-5 win over Velicka. No. 124 Daescu defeated Matt Brown 4-6, 6-2, 1-0(10), while Zgaga defeated McKenzie in a third set tiebreaker 6-4, 2-6, 7-6(6) on court four to remain undefeated in conference action.
"I was proud of the guys for bouncing back at the beginning of singles play. We knew we'd have our hands full with a talented OU team and they certainly made it tough on us out there," said Knoll.
The Bears are back in action when they head to Kansas City, Missouri April 26-29 for the Big 12 Championships.
#4 Baylor 5, #28 Oklahoma 2
1. #60 Chavarria/Daescu (OU) def. #18 Zgaga/Galic (BU) 8-5
2. Kokta/Poerschke (BU) def .McKenzie/Kucera (OU) 8-4
3. Velicka/Ryan Thomas (OU) def. Lukacs/Mueller (BU) 8-5
1. #14 Lars Poerschke (BU) def. #62 Vaclav Kucera (OU) 6-3, 6-4
2. #23 Michal Kokta (BU) def. Marek Velicka (OU) 6-4, 7-5
3. #124 Andrei Daescu (OU) def. Matt Brown (BU 4-6, 1-6, 1-0(10)
4. Matija Zgaga (BU) def. Rob McKenzie (OU) 6-4, 2-6, 7-6(6)
5. #102 Dominik Mueller (BU) vs. Ondrej Kacmar (OU) 6-0, 6-2
6. Denes Lukacs (BU) def. Federico Chavarria (OU) 6-0, 6-0