April 25, 2008
COLLEGE STATION, Texas - After winning the doubles point, Dominik Mueller, Jordan Rux and Attila Bucko won their singles matches to give Baylor a 4-0 victory over Nebraska in quarterfinal action of the Big 12 Conference Championships in College Station, Texas, on Friday.
The win raised 11th-ranked Baylor's season record to 20-8 while Nebraska dropped to 10-16. The Bears have advanced to the semifinals and will now face Oklahoma State at 9 a.m. on Saturday.
In doubles, Mueller and Rux breezed past Nebraska's Tobias Schneider and Mark Tate on court three, winning by a score of 8-1. The 42nd-ranked tandem of Lars Poerschke and Bucko claimed the doubles point for the Bears with a win over the Huskers' Hendrik Stahmer and Francois Van Impe, 8-2.
Throughout the season, courts four, five and six have been extremely strong for the Bears, posting a 65-16 record at those spots, and today's results were no different as all three players on those courts claimed victory. Mueller was the first off the court for the Bears with a decisive 6-1, 6-0 victory at No. 4 over Stahmer. Rux extended his team-best win streak to 12 matches with his 6-2, 6-2 win at No. 6 over Tate. Bucko put the finishing touches on the match with a 6-4, 7-6(6).triumph over Renao Melo at No. 6.
"Tournament time is all about surviving and advancing, and we advanced, so I we are thankful for that," said head coach Matt Knoll. "I do not think we played very well, to be honest. But I think we are happy to be in the semifinals and we are excited to come out tomorrow and hopefully play better. We will be ready for anybody, and you know that whenever you get to the semifinals of this tournament you have to play a great match.".
#11 Baylor 4, Nebraska 0
Big 12 Conference Championship - College Station, Texas
Order of finish: 4, 6, 5
1. #8 Lars Poerschke (BU) vs. Calin Paar (UN) DNF
2. #11 Denes Lukacs (BU) vs. #122 David Bendheim (UN) DNF
3. David Galic (BU) vs. Francois Van Impe (UN) DNF
4. #110 Dominik Mueller (BU) def. Hendrik Stahmer (UN) 6-1, 6-0
5. Attila Bucko (BU) def. Renao Melo (UN) 6-4, 7-6 (8-6)
6. Jordan Rux (BU) def. Mark Tate (UN) 6-2, 6-2
Order of finsih: 3, 2
1. David Galic/Denes Lukacs (BU) vs. David Bendheim/Calin Paar (UN) DNF
2. #42 Lars Poerschke/Attila Bucko (BU) def. Hendrik Stahmer/Francois Van Impe (UN) 8-2
3. Dominik Mueller/Jordan Rux (BU) def. Tobias Schneider/Mark Tate (UN) 8-1