May 10, 2008
| Final Results
WACO, Texas -
Baylor's men's tennis team breezed through NCAA Tournament first-round action on Saturday at the Baylor Tennis Center with a 4-0 victory over Oral Roberts.
The 10th-ranked Bears, 23-8 on the season, advance to the tournament's second round for the seventh straight time and 10th time overall. They will take on the winner of the Texas A&M-SMU match on Sunday at 2 p.m.
The Bears whipped through doubles to get on the scoreboard first. Dominik Mueller and Jordan Rux, moving up to court two for this match, breezed past ORU's Clemons Geercken and Denis Troyke, 8-1. Attila Bucko and Gwen Corches, playing just their second match of the season together, downed Dario Beslic and Cuan Farquharson, 8-5, to seal the doubles point for the Bears.
On court one, David Galic and Denes Lukacs were leading 7-3 when play was suspended.
Matt Brown, playing singles for the first time since March 29, walked off the court first with a 6-2, 6-3 triumph over Dario Beslic on court six. On court three, Mueller, ranked No. 79, downed Farquharson, 6-2, 6-0 and Corches clinched the match for the Bears with a 6-1, 6-4 win on court five over Geercken.
"It's the first step for us. I thought the guys did a good job and Oral Roberts competed very well. We responded to everything they gave us," said head coach Matt Knoll.
Baylor moves to 23-8 on the season while Oral Roberts sees its season end at 7-10.
#10 Baylor 4, Oral Roberts 0
1. #9 Denes Lukacs (BAYLOR) vs. Alex Kotsuik (ORU) 6-1, 4-1, DNF
2. David Galic (BAYLOR) vs. Alex Dargel (ORU) DNF
3. #79 Dominik Mueller (BAYLOR) def. Cuan Farquharson (ORU) 6-2, 6-0
4. Jordan Rux (BAYLOR) vs. Denis Troyke (ORU) DNF
5. Gwen Corches (BAYLOR) def. Clemons Geercken (ORU) 6-1, 6-4
6. Matt Brown (BAYLOR) def. Dario Beslic (ORU) 6-2, 6-3
1. David Galic/Denes Lukacs (BAYLOR) vs. Alex Kotsuik/Alex Dargel (ORU) DNF
2. Jordan Rux/Dominik Mueller (BAYLOR) def. Clemons Geercken/Denis Troyke (ORU) 8-1
3. Attila Bucko/Gwen Corches (BAYLOR) def. Dario Beslic/Cuan Farquharson (ORU) 8-5
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (6,3,5)