May 10, 2008
The Texas A&M Aggies advanced to the NCAA Championships' second round with a 4-1 victory over SMU on Saturday afternoon at the Baylor Tennis Center in Waco, Texas. The Aggies will now face 10th-ranked Baylor at 2 p.m. on Sunday in second round action.
Texas A&M's Matt Bain and Chris Chirco gained the Aggies' first doubles win with an 8-2 victory on court three over Alex Skrypko and Adolfo Solares. The 20th-ranked tandem of Conor Pollock and Austin Krajecek clinched the doubles point for Texas A&M with an 8-3 triumph on court one over David Kuczer and Robin Fahgen.
Bain claimed his second victory of the day, walking off the court first in singles with a 6-2, 6-0 decision on court five over Solares. Krajicek earned the Aggies their third point with a win on court two over Skrypko, 6-3, 6-0. SMU's only point came when Chris Hooshyar downed Mike Beatty on court six, 6-0, 7-6(6). The 25th-ranked Pollock ensured the Aggie win with a 7-5, 6-2 victory over David Kuczer.
#25 Texas A&M 4, #40 SMU 1
NCAA First Round - Waco, Texas
May 10, 2008 - Baylor Tennis Center
1. #25 Conor Pollock (TAMU) def. David Kuczer (SMU) 7-5, 6-2
2. Austin Krajicek (TAMU) def. Alex Skrypko (SMU) 6-3, 6-0
3. Wil Spencer (TAMU) vs. Robin Fahgen (SMU) DNF
4. Chris Chirco (TAMU) vs. Oivind Alver (SMU) DNF
5. Matt Bain (TAMU) def. Adolfo Solares (SMU) 6-2, 6-0
6. Chris Hooshyar (SMU) def. Mike Beatty (TAMU) 6-0, 7-6 (6)
1. #20 Conor Pollock/Austin Krajicek (TAMU) def. David Kuczer/Robin Fahgen (SMU) 8-3
2. Wil Spencer/Mike Beatty (TAMU) vs. Oivind Alver/Chris Hooshyar (SMU) DNF
3. Matt Bain/Chris Chirco (TAMU) def. Alex Skrypko/Adolfo Solares (SMU) 8-2
Texas A&M - 13-11
SMU - 20-9
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (5,2,6,1)