May 20, 2006
PALO ALTO, Calif. -
The Baylor men's tennis team advanced to the NCAA quarterfinals today with a 4-1 win over the University of Washington at the NCAA Championships hosted by Stanford University at the Taube (pronounced Toby) Tennis Center.
Fourth-ranked Baylor, seeded fifth in the tournament, moves on the the quarterfinals for the fourth straight year and the fifth time in program history. The Bears are 2-2 in quarterfinal matches and are on a three-match win streak in quarterfinal action. The Bears will take on host Stanford, a 4-0 winner over Duke, at 3 p.m. (PDT) on Sunday.
With the doubles point triumph today, Baylor now sports an 18-1 record when claiming doubles. Matt Brown and Matija Zgaga, playing at No. 2, got off the court first with a 9-7 win and David Galic and Will Ward followed at No. 3 with an 8-3 victory.
Washington would even the match at 1-1 with a quick win at No. 2 when Pierre Metenier defeated Matija Zgaga, 6-1, 6-3. However, that would be the Huskies' lone point of the day. BU's Lars Poerschke claimed a 7-6, 6-3 win at the top spot, Will Ward followed with a 6-3, 6-3 win at No. 4 and freshman Matt Brown clinched the match with a 6-2, 6-2 triumph on court five.
Baylor's record now stands at 24-6 while Washington sees its season end at 20-6.
"Washington is a good team, I give them a lot of credit. The intensity keeps getting higher with each match and I thought we did a good job of managing it. Doubles came together for us and gave us some momentum,"said head coach Matt Knoll
. "Stanford (tomorrow's opponent) will be our toughest challenge of the year. They're getting stronger with each match. Plus, the crowd and atmosphere will be tremendous tomorrow," he added.
#4 Baylor 4, #21 Washington 1
Order of finish: 2, 3
1. #23 Kokta/Poerschke (BU) vs. Chu/Slovic (UW) DNF
2. Brown/Zgaga (BU) def. Jank/Kuharszky (UW) 9-7
3. David Galic/Ward (BU) def. Insausti/Mike Ricks (UW) 8-3
Order of finish: 2, 1, 4, 5
1. #4 Lars Poerschke (BU) def. #44 Alex Slovic (UW) 7-6, 6-3
2. Pierre Metenier (UW) def. #65 Matija Zgaga (BU) 6-1, 6-3
3. #29 Michal Kokta (BU) vs. Jean Noel-Insausti (UW) DNF
4. Will Ward (BU) def. Daniel Chu (UW) 6-3, 6-3
5. #124 Matt Brown (BU) def. Andy Kuharszky (UW) 6-2, 6-2
6. Vladimir Portnov (BU) vs. Klaus Jank (UW) DNF