April 15, 2007
LUBB OCK, Texas -
The No. 4 ranked Baylor men's tennis team picked up a 4-3 win over No. 40 Texas Tech, Sunday at the McLeod Tennis Center. The win marks Baylor's third straight conference win and improves its overall record to 19-3 on the season.
The Red Raiders took an early lead with two wins over the Bears in doubles. Texas Tech's duo of Teddy Diblasi and Dimitrio Martinez defeated Dominik Mueller and Michal Kokta 8-6, but Baylor's tandem of David Galic and Matija Zgaga, ranked at the No. 18 spot, improved their record to 3-0 in Big 12 action with an 8-6 downing of No. 51 Christian Rojmar and Bogan Szumanski. Michael Breler and Sinisa Markovic secured the doubles point for Texas Tech with a 9-8 win over Lars Poerschke and Denes Lukacs.
Mueller, ranked No. 93, gained Baylor its first point defeating Rojmar in a two set match 6-4, 6-4, while No. 13 Poerschke claimed a 7-5, 6-3 victory over Szumanski, ranked at the No. 39 spot. Lukacs also picked up a 7-5, 6-3 win by defeating Milos Kustudija.
Texas Tech's Markovic bested Matt Brown 4-6, 6-3, 6-2, before No. 124 Zgaga came from behind to clinch the match for the Bears with a 4-6, 6-2, 6-3 downing of Michael Breler. Dimitrio Martinez added a final point for the Red Raiders defeating No. 16 Michal Kokta in a second set tiebreaker 6-4, 7-6.
"It was tough. Their team played with more energy than we did early in the match. They are much better than their ranking," said head coach Matt Knoll.
With the loss, Texas Tech drops to 13-7 overall and 1-3 in conference play.
The Bears are back in action Wednesday, April 18 when they head to Austin, Texas for their third consecutive road match to take on the University of Texas at 6 p.m.
# 4 Baylor 4, #40 Texas Tech 3
Order of Finish: 5, 1, 6, 3, 4*, 2
1. No. 13 Lars Poerschke (BU) def. No. 39 Bogan Szumanski (TT) 7-5, 6-3
2. Dimitrio Martinez (TT) def. No. 16 Michal Kokta (BU) 6-4, 7-6
3. Sinisa Markovic (TT) def. Matt Brown (BU)4-6, 6-3, 6-2
4. No. 124 Matija Zgaga (BU) def. Michael Breler (TT) 4-6, 6-2, 6-3
5. No. 93 Dominik Mueller (BU) def. Christian Rojmar (TT) 6-4, 6-4
6. Denes Lukacs (BU) def. Milos Kustudija (TT) 7-5, 6-3
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2
1. David Galic/Zgaga (BU) def. Rojmar/Szumanski (TT) 8-6
2. Breler/Markovic (TT) def. Poerschke/Lukacs (BU) 9-8
3. Teddy DiBlasi/Martinez (TT) def. Kokta/Mueller (BU) 8-6