Post Game Notes
April 3, 2012
- With tonight's 80-61 win over Notre Dame, Baylor wins its second NCAA Championship since 2005 and finishes the season with a perfect 40-0 mark. It marks the second straight season and third time in the Big 12 Conference's 16-year history that a league team has won the NCAA title (Texas A&M in 2011, Baylor in 2005).
- It marks the 15th time in NCAA history that the NCAA champion has finished with a perfect record; it is the eighth time it has happened in the women's game and first since UConn in 2010 (39-0).
- Baylor is 28-9 in 11 all-time NCAA Tournament trips, all under Kim Mulkey, 2-0 in national championship games.
- Baylor's 40 victories extends its program record, bettering last season's 34 wins. BU became the first women's program in the NCAA era to win 40 games in a season, surpassing the 39 wins by Tennessee (1998) and UConn (2002, 2009, 2010). No men's team has ever finished 40-0 either.
- With tonight's Lady Bear victory, Kim Mulkey's career record improved to 338-79.
- Mulkey becomes the fifth coach in the NCAA era to win multiple national titles, joining Tennessee's Pat Summitt (8), UConn's Geno Auriemma, Southern Cal's Linda Sharp (2) and Stanford's Tara VanDerveer (2).
- The Lady Bears own the longest active win streak (40) in NCAA Division I women's basketball.
- Baylor is 78-4 in its last 82 games.
- Baylor improved to 3-0 all-time vs. Notre Dame.
- Tonight's crowd of 19,028 equaled the fourth-largest ever to watch the Lady Bears play, following 28,937 for both the national semi-finals and finals in 2005 at Indianapolis and 25,817 for the 2010 national semifinal game in San Antonio. Both games in Denver drew sell-out crowds of 19,028.
- Baylor's senior class of Terran Condrey, Ashley Field and Lindsay Palmer finished their four-year BU caeers with a record of 131-19 (.873) with one national title, two Final Four appearances, four NCAA Tournament trips and five Big 12 titles (two regular-season, three tournament).
- The Lady Bears improved to 13-0 vs. ranked opponents this season, 6-0 vs. Top 10 teams.
- Tonight's win over Notre Dame was Baylor's 21st of the season outside Waco (11-0 in road games, 10-0 neutral)
- Baylor hasn't allowed an opponent to shoot 50 percent from the field in 215 straight games, dating back to March 25, 2006, against Maryland.
- Baylor improved to 36-0 when leading at halftime this season.
- Baylor hit an even 50.0 percent from the field vs. Notre Dame, the 16th time this season it has reached the 50 percent mark. BU is 112-2 under Kim Mulkey when shooting 50.0 percent or better from the floor in a game.
- Baylor reached the 80-point mark for the third time in six 2012 NCAA Tournament games.
- Baylor improved to 34-0 on the season when out-rebounding its opponent.
- The win was BU's 35th of the season by 10 or more points.
- Baylor improved to 35-0 on the season when scoring 70 or more points and has now won 113 straight games such an overtime loss to North Carolina State in the 2nd round of the 2007 NCAA Tournament at Raleigh, N.C. The Lady Bears also have a string of 94 straight wins when scoring 80 or more points that dates to the 2005 season.
- Baylor's 310 blocks on the season is an NCAA single-season record.
- Baylor shot 50.0 percent from the field, the 37th time in 40 starts in 2011-12 it hit better than 41.7 percent from the floor.
- Brittney Griner (26 points) has now scored in double-figures in 80 straight games and in 110 of 112 in her career. She now has 25 20-point performances this season, 68th of her career.
- Griner collected 18th double-double of the season and 44th of her career.
- Griner becomes the second player in Baylor history to earn Final Four MOP honors (Sophia Young, 2005).
- With her five blocks vs. Notre Dame, Griner extended her NCAA Championship career record to 93 blocks.
- Griner has blocked at least one shot in 108 of her 112 career games, including 50-straight outings. She finished her junior season with 206 blocks and has 599 in her three-year career to rank second on the NCAA's all-time list. She will need 64 rejections next season to break the NCAA career record.
- Griner moved her season point total to 929 points, a Big 12 record, and the third-highest single-season total in Baylor history behind Suzie Snider Eppers' 1,000-point seasons in 1976-77 (1,082) and 1974-75 (1,011). Griner's 2011-12 point total is the most by a BU player in the NCAA era.
- Griner had 13 rebounds vs. Notre Dame to push her season total to 379, fourth-best on BU's one-season list, and best by a Lady Bear in the NCAA era.
- Destiny Williams registered her 29th career double-figure scoring game with a 12-point performance vs. Notre Dame.
- Odyssey Sims (19 points) recorded her 30th double-digit scoring effort of the season and the 52nd of her career. She scored in double figures in seven straight games to close her sophomore season.