WACO, Texas -
Odyssey Sims had 28 points to lead five Baylor players in double-figure scoring and the 10th-ranked Lady Bears cruised to a 110-55 season-opening victory over Grambling State on Saturday night in their first game without Brittney Griner.
Mariah Chandler added 14 points while freshman Nina Davis and Kristina Higgins both had 11 for Baylor, which had the game's first 16 points before Grambling (0-1) finally scored nearly 5 minutes into the game.
The Lady Bears extended their nation's-best home winning streak to 58 in a row. They haven't lost in the Ferrell Center since March 2010 to Texas, the final home game of Griner's freshman season.
Baylor has won all 14 of its home openers for coach Kim Mulkey.
- The Lady Bears extended their home win streak to 58 games; the streak is the longest active streak in the nation after UCONN snapped Stanford's string of 82-straight wins on Dec. 29, 2012. Baylor's last loss in Waco came against Texas, March 7, 2010 by a score of 70-54.
- Baylor's 110 points marked the 65th time in school history that the Lady Bears have scored in triple digits. The last time BU scored over 100 came Dec. 29, 2012 in a 106-41 win over Southeastern Louisiana State.
- The Lady Bears' 110 points is tied for the 10th highest point total in school history.
- Odyssey Sims' 28 points was the third-highest single-game total of her career trailing only her 37-point performance as a freshman at Oklahoma (02/27/11) and her 29 points last season in the NCAA Tournament against Louisville (03/31/13).
- Sims passed the 20-point mark in a game for the 19th time in her career with 28 points Saturday vs. Grambling State.
- Sims extended her streak of double-digit scoring to 11 games. Sims was last held to single-digits against UCONN, Feb. 18 when she had nine.
- Mariah Chandler had a career-high 14 points, surpassing her previous career-high of nine, accomplished twice against Jacksonville State (11/14/09) and Oklahoma State (01/09/10).
- Kristina Higgins scored a career-high 11 points; her previous height was eight against TCU Feb. 16, 2013.
- Nina Davis reached double figures in her collegiate debut with 11 points.
- Sims' five steals gives her 10 games in her career with at least five steals, 23 games with at least four steals, and 47 games with at least three steals
- Niya Johnson had a career-high 4 steals Saturday vs. Grambling State, her previous high was three against Kentucky Nov. 13, 2012.
- Imani Wright scored 10 points in her college debut with Baylor Saturday night against Grambling State.
- Higgins posted a career-high nine rebounds passing her previous total of five against TCU (02/16/13).
STAT OF THE GAME
Baylor held a 54-32 advantage over Grambling in points in the paint.
TWEET OF THE GAME
The Lady Bears are back at the Ferrell Center Thursday (Nov. 14), when they host Nicholls State at 7 p.m. CT.