|Baylor vs. TCU
Jan. 2, 2013 | 7:00 p.m. CT
Fort Worth, Texas | Daniel-Meyer Coliseum (7,201)
TV: FSSW Plus
|Listen | Gametracker | Notes | Tickets|
Baylor Opens Big 12 Play at TCU...
The defending national champion and second-ranked Baylor Lady Bears (10-1) open Big 12 Conference action on Wednesday, Jan. 2, at 7:00 p.m. (CT) when they travel to Fort Worth to take on Big 12 newcomer TCU.
Baylor, led by 2012 National Coach of the Year Kim Mulkey, is 10-1 on the season after posting a 106-41 win over Southeastern Louisiana, and has won 84 of its last 88 games since the start of the 2010-11 season.
TCU, under the direction of 21st-year head coach Jeff Mittie, are 7-4 on the season after recording a 69-38 victory over TAMU-Corpus Christi. The Horned Frogs are led by freshman guard Zahna Medley's 14.5 points per contest while Natalie Ventress, a sophomore forward, averages 13.9 points and freshman guard Kamy Cole comes off the bench to average 10.0 a contest. TCU is led in rebounding by junior center Latricia Lovings' 10.3 boards an outing.
- Preseason National Player of the Year Brittney Griner, a 6-8 senior post, leads BU in scoring and rebounding with 20.2 points and 7.5 boards per game. Griner currently has 2,647 career points, 1,047 career rebounds and 629 blocks to her credit.
- Junior point guard Odyssey Sims averages 13.1 points an outing while shooting .517 from the floor. She dished out a team-leading 5.9 assists per game and is a perfect 26-of-26 from the free throw line.
- Senior guard Jordan Madden leads the squad in assists (45), minutes played (287) and steals (19) while averaging 9.5 points and 4.4 rebounds a contest. In addition, she is shooting .583 from the floor.
- Brooklyn Pope, enjoying her finest season as a Lady Bear, averages 10.8 points and 6.2 rebounds a contest, including 13.7 ppg over the last six contests. Pope hauled down a career-high 16 rebounds vs. 10th-ranked Tennessee, producing her first double-double of the season (11 pts/16 reb).
- Three TCU players have Waco or Big 12 connections; senior guard Delisa Gross was a teammate of BU's Makenzie Robertson at Midway HS, senior guard Whitney Williams and sophomore guard Donielle Breaux each transferred from Big 12 schools. Williams spent two seasons at Iowa State and Breaux played 11 games at Kansas last season before transferring to TCU.
Big 12's Best Blockers...
- Two of the Big 12's best blockers will be on the court in Fort Worth on Wednesday.
- TCU's Latricia Lovings leads the league in blocks with 4.1 per contest and 45 on the season while BU's Brittney Griner ranks second with 2.7 per outing and 30 total.
Baylor Owns Nation's Longest Win Streak...
- Baylor has won a nation's-best 46 straight home contests, its last home loss was on March 7, 2010, vs. Texas, 70-54.
- UConn snapped Stanford's 82-game home win streak on Saturday, Dec. 29.
As the Big 12 Begins its 17th Year, Did You Know?
- Baylor is two wins shy of the Big 12 record for consecutive regular season conference victories set by Oklahoma with 24 straight wins from March 3, 2005 until Jan. 27, 2007.
- Baylor is one of three teams to post a perfect league record: Baylor - 18-0 (2012); Nebraska - 16-0 (2010); Oklahoma - 16-0 (2006).
- Baylor has won the most regular season Big 12 games and owns the league's best regular season winning percentage:
Baylor - 169-89, .655 winning percentage
Oklahoma - 168-90, .651 winning percentage
- Baylor has won the most Big 12 Tournament games and owns the league's best winning percentage:
Baylor - 23-12 (.657)
Oklahoma - 22-12 (.647)
- Baylor is 33-1 in regular season Big 12 games over the past two seasons with 22-straight wins since a 56-45 loss at Texas Tech, Feb. 18, 2011.
- Baylor and Oklahoma share the lead in Big 12 Tournament championships with four each.
Big 12 Season Openers...
- Baylor is 9-7 all-time in Big 12 Conference season openers, including a 3-4 mark in road season openers.
- The Lady Bears open league play on the road for the fourth time in six years, the sixth time in nine seasons and eighth time overall when they travel to TCU on Wednesday.
- Head coach Kim Mulkey is 8-4 in league season openers, including a 3-3 mark in road season openers.
Big 12 Action...
- Baylor is a league-best 169-89 (.655) in 16 seasons of Big 12 Conference regular season play.
- Kim Mulkey is 142-52 (.732) in regular-season league play, including 123-50 (.711) vs. current Big 12 teams. Baylor was 27-37 in league play prior to Mulkey's arrival.
Leading the Big 12...
- As a team, Baylor leads the Big 12 in two categories; field goal percentage (.520) and assist/turnover ratio (1.6).
- Individually, a pair of Lady Bears rank No. 1 statistically; Brittney Griner in scoring (20.2) and Brooklyn Pope in field goal percentage (.630).
- The league's top two shot blockers will meet on the court of Wednesday, TCU's Latricia Lovings leads the league with 45 (4.1 bpg) rejections while Griner has blocked 30 (2.7 bpg).
- BU leads the series 23-5, but the two teams have not met since the breakup of the Southwest Conference.
- Wednesday's contest marks the first time the two teams have met since Feb. 17, 1996, when Baylor posted a 92-85 win in Fort Worth.
- Baylor has won 12 straight contests versus the Horned Frogs, TCU's last victory over BU came on Feb. 28, 1990, in Fort Worth.
- Baylor leads the series 11-3 in games played in Fort Worth.