| Baylor [#1/1 (14-0, 1-0)] vs. Iowa State [NR/NR (9-3, 0-1)]
Saturday, Jan. 7, 2012 | 7 p.m. CT
Ames, Iowa | Hilton Coliseum (14,356)
TV: Mediacom Connections [delayed] (Iowa only)
|Watch | Listen | Live Stats | Notes | Gameday Central|
The top-ranked Baylor Lady Bears make their first Big 12 Conference road trip of the season when they travel to Ames, Iowa, to take on the Iowa State Cyclones on Saturday, Jan. 7. The Lady Bears are hoping to begin at 15-0 for the first time in program history when they play in Hilton Coliseum.
The contest matches the league's top two rebounders in Baylor's Brittney Grinerand Iowa State's Chelsea Poppens. Poppens leads the league with 11.7 a contest while Griner follows with 10.5 an outing.
Baylor, 14-0 overall and 1-0 in league play, is led on the season by a trio of double-digit scorers. Griner, a junior post, leads the team with 21.6 points per game while sophomore guard Odyssey Sims manages 17.8 a contest and junior forward/post Brooklyn Pope contributes 10.1 a game. Junior forward/post Destiny Williams adds 9.4 an outing and Kimetria Haydenaverages 9.1 a contest. Griner, Williams and Pope are the team's top rebounders at 10.5, 7.3 and 6.5 boards per game, respectively. Sims is also averaging 6.1 assists and 4.1 steals per contest.
The Iowa State Cyclones (9-3, 0-1) bring their 7-0 home record to the court when they host the Lady Bears on Saturday night. The Cyclones' three losses this season have come vs. Penn State (66-59), at Michigan (56-49) and at Oklahoma (80-51).
Poppens, reigning Big 12 Player of the Week and the league's top rebounder, leads the Cyclones with 14.5 points and 11.7 rebounds a contest. The 6-2 junior forward leads the league in offensive rebounds with 5.2 per contest. Hallie Christofferson, a 6-3 sophomore forward, follows Poppens with 10.8 points and 6.5 boards an outing.
The Cyclones are coached by 17th-year head coach Bill Fennelly, a 1979 William Penn graduate. Fennelly is 363-163 (.690) in his 17 seasons along the Iowa State sideline and 529-216 (.710) in 24 seasons as a head coach.
• Brittney Griner has registered a Big 12 record 468 career blocked shots.
• Brittney Griner ranks No. 6 on BU's career scoring chart with 1,798 points and needs six to climb to No. 5.
• Baylor is the only school to have its women's basketball (No. 1), men's basketball (No. 4) and football (No. 15) teams ranked among the AP Top 25.
• The Lady Bears are 52-4 over their last 56 games.
• BU has registered its first 14-0 start in school history. The Lady Bears began the 2000-01 season 13-0.
• Entering Saturday's contests, Baylor is the only Division I school with both its men's (14-0) and women's (14-0) basketball teams sporting perfect records.
• Baylor has spent 16 weeks at No. 1 in The Associated Press Poll which ranks eighth all-time.
• For the second straight season Baylor opened Big 12 Conference play ranked No. 1.
• Baylor is one of just six remaining undefeated teams among NCAA Division I programs (BU, Colorado, Green Bay, Maryland, Ohio State, Texas Tech).
• The Lady Bears sport a school-record 32-game home win streak, BU's last home loss came vs. Texas on March 7, 2009, 70-54.
• For the first time in her 86-game career, Brittney Grinerdid not go to the free throw line when she was 0-0 from the charity stripe vs. Missouri.
BIG 12 ACTION
Baylor is 152-89 (.631) in 16 seasons of Big 12 Conference regular season play.
Kim Mulkeyis 125-52 (.706) in regular-season league play, including 127-55 (.696) all-time vs. current Big 12 teams. Baylor was 27-37 in league play prior to Mulkey's arrival.
LAST TIME IN AMES
In Baylor's last trip to Ames, Iowa State posted a 69-45 victory. The Cyclones lit it up from beyond the arch, hitting 16 of 33 (.417) treys. ISU's Chelsea Poppens hauled down 14 rebounds in the contest while Brittney Grinerwas the lone Lady Bear to scored in double figures with 10 points.
Baylor and Iowa State have faced only one common opponent this season, Mississippi Valley State. The Cyclones posted a 77-47 win over the Devilettes while the Lady Bears won 93-55.
BAYLOR AND NATIONAL STATISTICS
#T1 - Won-lost percentage (1.000)
#2 - Blocked shots (8.3)
#2 - Assists (20.2)
#2 - Scoring offense (85.3)
#3 - Scoring margin (32.9)
#3 - Field goal percentage (49.4)
#5 - Field goal percentage defense (30.2)
#6 - Assist/turnover ratio (1.33)
#6 - Rebound margin (15.2)
BAYLOR AND INDIVIDUAL STATISTICS
#1 - Blocks per game: Brittney Griner (5.2)
#3 - Field goal percentage: Brittney Griner (65.1)
#6 - Steals per game: Odyssey Sims (4.1)
#8 - Points per game: Brittney Griner (22.2)
#10 - Assists per game: Odyssey Sims (6.3)
#10 - Double-doubles: Brittney Griner (7.0)
#11 - Rebounds per game: Brittney Griner (10.6)
#16 - Assists/turnover ratio: Terran Condrey (2.47)