|Baylor at West Virginia
Jan. 8, 2014 | 6:00 p.m. CT
Morgantown, W.Va. | WVU Coliseum (14,000)
|Listen | Gametracker | Notes | Tickets|
No. 7/9 Baylor Travels to West Virginia...
The seventh-ranked Baylor Lady Bears, 12-1 overall and 2-0 in Big 12 action, put two win streaks on the line when they travel to face the West Virginia Mountaineers on Wednesday, Jan. 8, at 6 p.m. (CT). Baylor sports a league-record 42-game regular-season Big 12 Conference win streak and a Big 12-best 51-straight victories overall, including 9-0 in Big 12 Championship play.
The Mountaineers, under the direction of 13th-year head coach Mike Carey, enter the contest with a 13-game win streak, a 13-1 season record and a 2-0 Big 12 mark. West Virginia lost its season opener to Ohio State, 70-61, but have since reeled off 13 consecutive wins. The Mountaineers began league play with two road wins; a 65-55 victory at Kansas and a 71-67 win at 11th-ranked Oklahoma State.
Senior guard Odyssey Sims continues to lead Baylor in scoring at a nation's-best and Big 12-leading 30.8 points per game. The Irving, Texas, native is averaging 4.1 rebounds a contest while dishing out 4.6 assists per game and shooting 50.9 percent from the floor. With 529 career assists, Sims is the program's all-time leader and needs just one more trey (195) to break the BU career record.
Freshman Nina Davis (5-11, forward/post) is averaging 14.8 points and 7.3 rebounds a game. The Memphis, Tenn., native ranks No. 2 nationally in field goal percentage, hitting an impressive 66.4 (73-110) percent of her shots.
Junior post Sune Agbuke (6-4) is the team's top rebounder with 8.7 an outing, followed by Davis' 7.3 rpg. Freshman Khadijiah Cave (6-2 post) manages 6.9 a game while sophomore Kristina Higgins (6-5 post) contributes 5.9 a contest.
Sophomore guard Niya Johnson is the team's top distributor and ranks No. 9 nationally and No. 2 in the Big 12, averaging 7.1 assists an outing while Sims follows with 4.6 a game.
Four Mountaineers are averaging double-digit scoring on the season. They are led by senior center Asya Bussie's 14.3 points and 7.9 rebounds per game, while sophomore guard Bria Holmes follows closely with 14.1 ppg. Senior guard Cristal Caldwell scores 12.6 a contest and Taylor Palmer, a senior guard, averages 12.0 points an outing.
The Lady Bears will return home to host TCU on Saturday, Jan. 11, at 7 p.m., before hosting top-ranked Connecticut on Monday, Jan. 13 at 6 p.m. (CT) in a nationally televised contest (ESPN2).
- The Lady Bears' school-record 68-game home win streak ranks No. 1 nationally and matches the fifth-longest in NCAA history all-time.
- Baylor's 42-game Big 12 Conference regular season win streak is the nation's longest active league win string.
- Baylor has won 51 straight Big 12 games overall, a continuing league record.
- Baylor has used six different starting lineups this season (see page 8 for listing).
- Odyssey Sims, a 5-8 senior guard, is averaging a nation's-best 30.8 ppg as well as 4.6 assists, 4.1 rebounds and 2.2 steals.
- Sims, with 529 career assists, ranks No. 1 on Baylor's career list, breaking the record set by Angela Tisdale (493; 2004-08).
- Nina Davis, a 5-11 freshman forward/post, is averaging 14.8 points per game and ranks No. 2 nationally and leads the Big 12 Conference in field goal shooting at 66.4 (73-110) percent. She leads all Big 12 freshmen in scoring this season.
- Niya Johnson, a 5-7 guard, ranks No. 9 nationally in assists per game (7.1) and is No. 12 in assist/turnover ratio at 3.1 per contest.
- Sune Agbuke, a 6-4 post, ranks No. 38 nationally in blocks per game (2.3).
- Over the last five games, Agbuke has averaged 12.0 rpg. She leads the league in Big 12 contests in rebounding with 11.5 a game.
- In her 14 seasons at the program's helm, Kim Mulkey has posted an impressive 384-82 (.824) record which ranks her No. 2 nationally in winning percentage among active coaches behind UConn's Geno Auriemma (.864).
- Kim Mulkey sports a 146-50 (.745) record vs. current Big 12 Conference teams.
Sims Honored as National and Big 12 Player of the Week...
- Odyssey Sims was named espnW National Player of the Week and Big 12 Player of the Week for her outstanding performance in BU's two conference wins last week.
- Sims became the first-ever player to be honored twice as espnW's National Player of the Week. Sims earned her 10th career Big 12 weekly award and fifth player of the week recognition.
- Sims averaged 35 points and 5.5 rebounds to lead Baylor to conference wins over Kansas State and Kansas. She scored 40 points against the Wildcats while shooting 12-of-19 (.632) from the floor, including 4-of-4 from 3-point range, and 12-of-16 (.750) from the free throw line. She hauled down a season-high six rebounds and added three assists and three steals. After making a trey versus Kansas, Sims is tied as the program's all-time 3-point leader with 195. She led all scorers in the win with 30 points, sinking 11-of-22 (.500) shots and was 7-of-9 (.778) from the charity stripe.
- Baylor's freshmen quartet is making their presence felt. They are producing 34.0 percent of the team's points, hauling down 34.2 percent of its rebounds and playing 34.3 percent of the minutes.
- The rookies are holding their own in shooting percentage as well, with the group hitting 45.3 percent (147-324) from the floor while the team is managing 46.0 percent.
- Nina Davis, Imani Wright and Khadijiah Cave are three of Baylor's top six scorers with 14.8, 6.8 and 6.5 points per game, respectively.
- Nina Davis (7.3 rpg) and Khadijiah Cave (6.9 rpg) are two of the team's top three rebounders.
- Nina Davis leads the Big 12 Conference and ranks No. 2 nationally in field goal percentage (.664, 73-of-110).
- The four freshmen are playing over 15 minutes a game - Nina Davis, 22.1 mpg; Ieshia Small, 16.0 mpg; Imani Wright, 15.8 mpg; Khadijiah Cave, 15.5 mpg.
Baylor's Record Win Streaks...
- Baylor has won a nation's-best and school-record 68 straight home contests, as its last home loss came on March 7, 2010, vs. Texas, 70-54.
- The Lady Bears have won a Big 12-record and nation's-best 42 consecutive regular season league contests. BU's last regular season league loss a 56-45 defeat at Texas Tech on Feb. 19, 2011.
- Baylor has won 51 straight Big 12 games overall, a continuing league record.
- Baylor has won 20 or more games in each of the last 13 seasons, an ongoing Big 12 record.
- BU has 10 straight seasons of 25-plus wins, and three consecutive 30-win campaigns.
West Virginia Mountaineers...
- Located in Morgantown, W.V., the West Virginia University Mountaineers bring their 13-1 season record and 2-0 Big 12 mark to the floor when they host the Lady Bears on Wednesday night. The Mountaineers, with two Big 12 road wins under their belt, enter the contest on a 13-game win streak. WVU lost its season opener to Ohio State (70-61) and has since reeled off 13 consecutive victories.
- The Mountaineers, a veteran squad with eight upperclassmen on the roster, opened Big 12 play with road victories at Kansas (65-55) and 11th-ranked Oklahoma State (71-67).
- Four Mountaineers are averaging double-digit scoring on the season. They are led by senior center Asya Bussie's 14.3 points and 7.9 rebounds per game, while sophomore guard Bria Holmes follows closely with 14.1 ppg. Senior guard Cristal Caldwell scores 12.6 a contest and Taylor Palmer, a senior guard, averages 12.0 points an outing.
- The Mountaineers are coached by 13th-year head coach Mike Carey, a 1980 Salem graduate. Carey is 257-142 (.644) in his 13 seasons as a head coach.
- Baylor leads the series vs. West Virginia, 3-1.
- Baylor has won three straight contests, an 82-68 victory on March 22, 2011, in the second round of the NCAA Championship in Waco, on Jan. 19, 2013, 76-58, in Waco and a March 2, 2013, road win, 80-49.
- The Mountaineers' victory over Baylor came on Dec. 7, 1984, 73-67, in Oxford, Miss., in the Ole Miss-hosted Lady Rebel Dial Classic.