|Baylor vs. Iowa State
Jan. 9, 2013 | 7:00 p.m. CT
Waco, Texas | Ferrell Center (10,284)
|Watch (Paid) | Listen | Gametracker | Notes | Tickets|
Baylor Faces Iowa State in Ferrell Center...
The defending national champion and top-ranked Baylor Lady Bears (12-1, 2-0) put their record-tying 24-game Big 12 regular season win streak on the line when they host the 25th-ranked Iowa State Cyclones on Wednesday, Jan. 9, at 7 p.m.
The contest will be televised by Fox Sports Southwest (FSSW) with John Morris calling the action and Jim Haller handling color analyst duties. Baylor, led by 2012 National Coach of the Year Kim Mulkey, is 12-1 on the season after posting an 83-49 win over then-13th-ranked Oklahoma State, and has won 86 of its last 90 games since the start of the 2010-11 season.
Iowa State, currently ranked No. 25 and under the direction of 18th-year head coach Bill Fennelly, is 11-1 on the season and 2-0 in league play after posting wins over Texas (73-65 OT) and at Texas Tech (58-54). The Cyclones are led by junior forward Hallie Christofferson’s 14.0 points per contest while Chelsea Poppens, a senior forward, averages 13.0 points and a team-leading 9.6 rebounds. Senior center Anna Prins manages 11.2 a contest. Sophomore guard Nikki Moody leads the nation in assists with 7.9 per game.
- Preseason National Player of the Year Brittney Griner, a 6-8 senior post, leads BU in scoring and rebounding with 20.0 points and 8.0 boards per game. Griner currently has 2,685 career points, 1,070 career rebounds and 633 blocks to her credit.
- Junior point guard and All-American candidate Odyssey Sims averages 13.2 points an outing while shooting .500 from the floor. She dishes out a team-leading 5.6 assists per game and is a perfect 27-of-27 from the free throw line.
- Senior guard Jordan Madden leads the squad in steals (25) while averaging 9.4 points and 4.2 rebounds a contest. In addition, she is shooting .571 from the floor.
- Brooklyn Pope, enjoying her finest season as a Lady Bear, averages 11.5 points and 6.2 rebounds a contest, including 14.0 ppg over the last eight contests.
- Baylor ranks No. 1 nationally in field goal percentage (.512) while Iowa State is No. 2 in field goal percentage defense (.297). BU ranks No. 8 in field goal percentage defense (.324).
- BU possessed the nation’s No. 3 scoring offense (83.1), while the Cyclones are ranked No. 4 in scoring defense (48.3).
- The Lady Bears’ 47-game home win streak ranks No. 1 nationally after UConn snapped Stanford’s string of 82 straight wins on Dec. 29, 2012.
- Baylor is 4-1 vs. ranked opponents this season and five players are averaging 9.4 or more points per game vs. rated foes: Brittney Griner (20.8), Odyssey Sims (11.6), Brooklyn Pope (11.4), Jordan Madden (10.2) and Destiny Williams (9.4).
- As a team, Baylor ranks among the top 25 in NCAA statistics in 11 categories, while four players are among the nation’s top 25 statistically (see page 6 for listing).
- Baylor is ranked No. 7 nationally in home attendance with 8,506 fans per game.
Baylor Returns to No. 1...
- After a seven-week absence, Baylor returned to the top spot in The Associated Press Poll, garnering 32 of the possible 40 votes.
- Baylor, 12-1 on the season and 2-0 in Big 12 play, has now been ranked No. 1 three times this season and 29 times overall.
Leading the Big 12...
- As a team, Baylor leads the Big 12 in three categories; field goal percentage (.517), 3-point field goal percentage defense (.238) and assist/turnover ratio (1.5).
- Individually, Brittney Griner ranks No. 1 statistically in scoring (20.5) and field goal percentage (.613).
- Four Lady Bears rank among the league’s top-10 in field goal percentage; No. 1 - Griner (.613), No. 2 - Brooklyn Pope (.607), No. 5 - Jordan Madden (.584) and No. 10 - Destiny Williams (.542).
- Baylor head coach Kim Mulkey attained the 350-win mark with BU’s win over 13th-ranked Oklahoma State on Sunday.
- It took Geno Auriemma (UConn) and the legendary Pat Summitt (Tennessee) each 14 seasons to attain the milestone, while Stanford’s Tara VanDerveer needed 16 seasons to reach 350.
Mulkey vs. Ranked Opponents...
- In head coach Kim Mulkey’s 13 seasons, Baylor is 92-58 (.613) against ranked opponents. Since a 69-55 loss to No. 15 Texas during the 2004-05 season, Baylor is 73-33 (.689) versus ranked opponents, including 13-0 last season and 4-1 this season.
- Mulkey is 32-28 (.533) vs. Top-10 foes.
- Iowa State marks Baylor’s sixth ranked opponent of the season.
Sims Sets Free Throw Mark...
- Junior guard Odyssey Sims, with 38 straight free throws made, has broken Jessika Stratton’s (2003-04) mark of 32.
- Sims finished 2011-12 with 11 straight makes from the charity stripe and is 27-of-27 from the free throw line this season.
Iowa State Cyclones...
- Located in Ames, Iowa, the 25th-ranked Iowa State Cyclones, enter Wednesday’s contest with an 11-1 season mark and a 2-0 league record. The Cyclones come to Waco sporting a six-game win streak, their lone loss this season came at Iowa, 50-42.
- Iowa State is coached by 25th-year head coach Bill Fennelly (William Penn College, 1979). Fennelly owns a 549-227 (.708) career mark and is 383-174 (.688) in 18 seasons along the Notre Dame sideline.