|Baylor vs. TCU
Jan. 11, 2014 | 7:00 p.m. CT
Waco, Texas | Ferrell Center (10,284)
|Watch (Paid) | Listen | Gametracker | Notes | Tickets|
No. 7/7 Baylor Hosts TCU on Saturday...
The seventh-ranked Baylor Lady Bears, 13-1 overall and 3-0 in Big 12 action, put three win streaks on the line when they host the TCU Horned Frogs on Saturday, Jan. 11, at 7 p.m. (CT). Baylor sports a league-record 43-game regular-season Big 12 Conference win streak and a Big 12-best 52-straight victories overall, including 9-0 in Big 12 Championship play, and has won a nation's-best 68-game straight home games.
The Horned Frogs, under the direction of 22nd-year head coach Jeff Mittie, enter the contest with an 11-4 season record and a 2-1 Big 12 mark which includes two straight league wins over Texas Tech (65-54) and Kansas (52-50).
Senior guard Odyssey Sims continues to lead Baylor in scoring at a nation's-best and Big 12-leading 32.1 points per game. The Irving, Texas, native is averaging 4.5 rebounds a contest while dishing out 4.8 assists per game and shooting 50.7 percent from the floor. With 536 career assists, Sims is the program's all-time leader and she also broke the BU career 3-point field goal record with 201.
Freshman Nina Davis (5-11, forward/post) is averaging 14.6 points and 7.1 rebounds a game. The Memphis, Tenn., native ranks No. 2 nationally in field goal percentage, hitting an impressive 66.0 (79-119) percent of her shots.
Junior post Sune Agbuke (6-4) is the team's top rebounder with 8.4 an outing, followed by Davis' 7.1 rpg. Freshman Khadijiah Cave (6-2 post) manages 6.8 a game while sophomore Kristina Higgins (6-5 post) contributes 5.8 a contest.
Sophomore guard Niya Johnson is the team's top distributor and ranks No. 9 nationally and No. 2 in the Big 12, averaging 6.8 assists an outing while Sims follows with 4.8 a game.
The Horned Frogs Frogs are led by sophomore guard Zahna Medley's 16.4 points per contest while Natalie Ventress, a junior forward, averages 11.1 points. TCU is led in rebounding by senior center Latricia Lovings' 7.8 boards an outing.
Up Next...The Lady Bears will host top-ranked Connecticut on Monday, Jan. 13, at 6 p.m. (CT) in a nationally televised contest (ESPN2).
- The Lady Bears' school-record 68-game home win streak ranks No. 1 nationally and matches the fifth-longest in NCAA history all-time.
- Baylor's 43-game Big 12 Conference regular season win streak is the nation's longest active league win string.
- Baylor has won 52 straight Big 12 games overall, a continuing league record.
- Baylor has used six different starting lineups this season (see page 8 for listing).
- Odyssey Sims, a 5-8 senior guard, is averaging a nation's-best 32.1 ppg as well as 4.8 assists, 4.5 rebounds and 2.1 steals.
- Sims, with 536 career assists, ranks No. 1 on Baylor's career list, breaking the record set by Angela Tisdale (493; 2004-08).
- Nina Davis, a 5-11 freshman forward/post, is averaging 14.6 points per game and ranks No. 2 nationally and leads the Big 12 Conference in field goal shooting at 66.0 (79-119) percent. She leads all Big 12 freshmen in scoring this season.
- Niya Johnson, a 5-7 guard, ranks No. 9 nationally in assists per game (6.8) and is No. 12 in assist/turnover ratio at 3.2 per contest.
- Sune Agbuke, a 6-4 post, ranks No. 38 nationally in blocks per game (2.4).
- Over the last eight games, Agbuke has averaged 10.8 rpg. She leads the league in Big 12 contests in rebounding with 9.3 a game.
Sims Simply Stellar...
- Odyssey Sims, a 5-8 senior guard, turned in a stellar performance in Baylor's 78-62 victory at West Virginia, establishing career highs in both points (48) and rebounds (10).
- Sims shot 14-29 (.483) from the floor, including 6-10 (.600) from 3-point range, and 14-17 (.824) from the charity stripe with seven assists and two steals.
- National Player of the Year contender and Big 12 Preseason Player of the Year Odyssey Sims, a 5-8 senior guard, is averaging a nation's-best 32.1 points per game as well as 4.8 assists, 4.5 rebounds and 2.1 steals.
- On the boards, junior post Sune Agbuke (6-4) is the team's top rebounder with 8.4 an outing, followed by Nina Davis' 7.1 rpg. Freshman Khadijiah Cave (6-2 post) manages 6.8 a game while sophomore Kristina Higgins (6-5 post) averages 5.8 a contest.
- Sophomore guard Niya Johnson is the team's top distributor and ranks No. 9 nationally and No. 2 in the Big 12, averaging 6.8 assists an outing while Odyssey Sims follows with 4.8 a game.
- Baylor's freshmen quartet is making their presence felt. They are producing 33.5 percent of the team's points, hauling down 34.0 percent of its rebounds and playing 34.2 percent of the minutes.
- The rookies are holding their own in shooting percentage as well, with the group hitting 46.4 percent (165-389) from the floor while the team is managing 46.0 percent.
- Nina Davis, Imani Wright and Khadijiah Cave are three of Baylor's top six scorers with 14.6, 6.3 and 6.0 points per game, respectively.
- Nina Davis (7.1 rpg) and Khadijiah Cave (6.8 rpg) are two of the team's top three rebounders.
- Nina Davis leads the Big 12 Conference and ranks No. 2 nationally in field goal percentage (.660, 79-of-119).
- The four freshmen are playing over 15 minutes a game - Nina Davis, 23.0 mpg; Khadijiah Cave, 15.1 mpg; Ieshia Small, 15.1 mpg; Imani Wright, 14.9 mpg.
Among the Big 12 Leaders...
- Odyssey Sims leads the Big 12 in scoring at 32.1 ppg while freshman Nina Davis ranks No. 7 (14.6 ppg). In addition, Davis ranks No. 1 in scoring among league freshmen.
- Sims leads the Big 12 in scoring in league games only at a blistering 39.9 ppg.
- Nina Davis is No. 2 in the nation and leads the Big 12 in field goal percentage at 66.4 percent while Sims checks in at No. 11 (.507). Sims ranks No. 4 in the conference in steals per game (2.1) while Davis is No. 5 with 1.9 a contest.
- All four of Baylor's posts rank among the league's top 20 in rebounding. Sune Agbuke ranks No. 2 with 8.4 rpg while Nina Davis sits at No. 9 with 7.1 a contest, Khadijiah Cave is No. 13 with 6.8 rpg and Kristina Higgins is No. 19 at 5.8 an outing.
- Nina Davis (No. 3, 3.2), Sune Agbuke (No. 6, 3.1) and Khadijiah Cave (No. 7, 3.1) rank among the Big 12's top offensive rebounders.
- Niya Johnson (3.2) and Odyssey Sims (2.2) are No. 1 and No. 5, respectively, in assist/turnover ratio. In addition, Johnson is No. 2 in the league in assists (6.8 apg) and Sims is No. 67 with 4.8 a contest.
- Sune Agbuke (33/2.4) ranks No. 2 in the Big 12 in blocked shots.
- Agbuke ranks No. 1 in rebounding in league games only with 9.3 rpg while Sims ranks No. 6 at 7.0 rpg and Makenzie Robertson is No 9 (6.3 rpg).
Down to 11 on Roster...
- With a season-ending injury and a transfer, Baylor is down to an 11-player roster.
- Sophomore guard Alexis Prince, a Preseason All-Big 12 honorable mention selection, is sidelined with a foot injury. She had surgery on Friday, Jan. 10, and will miss the rest of the season.
- Freshman guard Breanna Hayden transferred at semester to Alabama.
- Located in Fort Worth, Texas, the TCU Horned Frogs, second-year members of the Big 12 Conference, enter Saturday's contest 11-4 overall and 2-1 in league action. The Horned Frogs have won two straight Big 12 contests, a 65-54 win at Texas Tech and a 52-50 home victory over Kansas.
- The Horned Frogs are led by sophomore guard Zahna Medley's 16.4 points per contest while Natalie Ventress, a junior forward, averages 11.1 points. TCU is led in rebounding by senior center Latricia Lovings' 7.8 boards an outing.
- TCU is coached by 22nd-year head coach Jeff Mittie (Missouri Western , 1989). Mittie owns a 447-224 (.666) career mark and is 296-165 (.642) in 15 seasons along the TCU sideline.
- BU leads the series 25-5
- Baylor has won 14 straight contests versus the Horned Frogs; TCU's last victory over BU came on Feb. 28, 1990, in Fort Worth. TCU's last Waco victory came on Jan. 27, 1990, 73-70.
- Baylor leads the series 12-2 in games played in Waco.
- Kim Mulkey is 2-0 vs. TCU.