|Baylor at Kansas
Jan. 13, 2013 | 1:30 p.m. CT
Lawrence, Kan. | Allen Fieldhouse (16,300)
|Listen | Gametracker | Notes | Tickets|
Baylor Puts 25-Game Big 12 Win Streak on Line at Kansas...
The defending national champion and top-ranked Baylor Lady Bears (13-1, 3-0) put their record-setting 25-game Big 12 regular season win streak on the line when they travel to historic Allen Fieldhouse in Lawrence, Kan., to take on the 17th-ranked Kansas Jayhawks on Sunday, Jan. 13, at 1:30 p.m.
The contest will be televised nationally by FSN with Ron Thulin calling the action and Brenda VanLengen handling color analyst duties.
Baylor, led by 2012 National Coach of the Year Kim Mulkey, is 13-1 on the season after posting a 67-39 home win over 25th-ranked Iowa State, and has won 87 of its last 91 games since the start of the 2010-11 season.
No. 17 Kansas, undefeated at home this season at 9-0, is under the direction of ninth-year head coach Bonnie Henrickson. The Jayhawks are 11-3 on the season and 2-1 in league play after posting wins over Kansas State (72-63), at West Virginia (60-59) and losing at Oklahoma State (76-59). Kansas is led by senior forward Carolyn Davis' 15.5 points per contest while preseason All-Big 12 selection Angel Goodrich, a senior guard, averages 13.7 points. Tania Jackson, a junior forward, comes off the bench to lead the team in rebounding with 6.4 per contest.
- Preseason National Player of the Year Brittney Griner, a 6-8 senior post, leads BU in scoring and rebounding with 20.2 points and 7.7 boards per game. Griner currently has 2,708 career points, 1,074 career rebounds and 636 blocks to her credit.
- Junior point guard and All-American candidate Odyssey Sims, who averages 12.6 points an outing, also dishes out a team-leading 5.6 assists per game and is 28-of-31 (.903) from the free throw line.
- Brooklyn Pope, enjoying her finest season as a Lady Bear, averages 11.4 points and 5.9 rebounds a contest, including 13.6 ppg over the last nine contests. She leads the league in field goal percentage at .608.
Leading the Big 12...
- As a team, Baylor leads the Big 12 in five categories; field goal percentage (.507), scoring margin (+31.4), assists (21.6), blocked shots (5.9) and assist/turnover ratio (1.6).
- Individually, Brittney Griner ranks No. 1 statistically in scoring (20.2) and Brooklyn Pope leads the league in field goal percentage (.608).
- Four Lady Bears rank among the league's top-10 in field goal percentage; No. 1 - Brooklyn Pope (.608), No. 3 - Griner (.593), No. 4 - Jordan Madden (.570) and No. 8 - Destiny Williams (.551).
- A trio of Lady Bear guards lead the Big 12 in assist/turnover ratio; No. 1 - Kimetria Hayden (2.9), No. 2 - Jordan Madden (2.5) and No. 3 - Niya Johnson (2.1).
- The Lady Bears' 48-game home win streak ranks No. 1 nationally after UConn snapped Stanford's string of 82 straight wins on Dec. 29, 2012.
- During Kim Mulkey's 431 game tenure, a Baylor opponent has only shot 50 percent or better 12 times and on only four occasions in the last 11 years.
- In Baylor's last 231 games, only one opponent (Stanford, .509) has shot 50 percent or above. This season, the Cardinal broke BU's 217-game streak of holding an opponent to 50 percent or less shooting from the floor.
- Baylor is 5-1 vs. ranked opponents this season and four players are averaging 9.5 or more points per game vs. rated foes: Brittney Griner (21.2), Brooklyn Pope (11.2), Odyssey Sims (10.8) and Destiny Williams (9.5).
- As a team, Baylor ranks among the top 25 in NCAA statistics in 11 categories, while four players are among the nation's top 25 statistically (see page 6 for listing).
- Baylor's loss to Stanford (50.9%, 11/16/12) halted a streak of 217 straight wins holding an opponent to 50 percent or less shooting from the field, dating back to March 25, 2006, an 82-63 Sweet 16 loss to eventual national champion Maryland.
- During Kim Mulkey's 431-game tenure, a Baylor opponent has only shot 50 percent or better 12 times and on only four occasions in the last 11 years.
- In Baylor's last 231 games, only one opponent (Stanford) has shot 50 percent or above.
- In 2011-12, Baylor ranked No. 2 in NCAA Division I statistics in field goal percentage defense (.309).
- Baylor is 86-3 since the start of the 2009-10 season when allowing 60 or fewer points, including last year's 33-0 mark and a 10-0 record in 2012-13. The Lady Bears held 31 of 40 opponents to 60 or fewer points en route to the 2012 NCAA title.
- Located in Lawrence, Kan., the 17th-ranked Kansas Jayhawks enter Sunday's contest with an 11-3 season mark and a 2-1 league record. The Jayhawks are 9-0 in Allen Fieldhouse this season.
- Kansas is led by senior forward Carolyn Davis' 15.5 points per contest while preseason All-Big 12 selection Angel Goodrich, a senior guard, averages 13.7 points. Tania Jackson , a 6-2 junior forward, comes off the bench to lead the team in rebounding with 6.4 per contest.
- Kansas is coached by 16th-year head coach Bonnie Henrickson (St. Cloud State, 1986). Henrickson owns a 307-186 (.623) career mark and is 149-124 (.546) in nine seasons along the Kansas sideline.
- BU leads the series 17-7 and has won five straight and 15 of the last 16 games. KU's lone win during that stretch was on March 4, 2009, in Lawrence, 69-45.
- Kansas' last victory over BU came on March 4, 2009, in Lawrence, 69-45.
- The Lady Bears lead the series in Lawrence, 6-4, and have won two straight, including last year's 76-45 victory.