|Baylor vs. UCONN
Jan. 13, 2014 | 6:00 p.m. CT
Waco, Texas | Ferrell Center (10,284)
|Watch | Listen | Gametracker | Notes | Tickets|
No. 7/7 Baylor Hosts Top-Ranked and Defending NCAA Champion UConn...
The seventh-ranked Baylor Lady Bears, 14-1 overall, put their nation's-best 69-game home game win streak on the line as they host the top-ranked, undefeated and defending national champion UConn Huskies on Monday, Jan. 13, at 6 p.m. in the Ferrell Center.
The contest, part of ESPN's Big Monday package, will be televised on ESPN2 with Beth Mowins calling the action and Stephanie White and Doris Burke providing color analysis.
The Huskies, under the direction of 29th-year head coach Geno Auriemma, enter the contest with a 17-0 season record and have won 23-straight games dating back to last season.
Senior guard Odyssey Sims continues to lead Baylor in scoring at a nation's-best and Big 12-leading 31.8 points per game. The Irving, Texas, native is averaging 4.3 rebounds a contest while dishing out 4.5 assists per game and shooting 51.6 percent from the floor, including .452 from beyond the arc. With 536 career assists, Sims is the program's all-time leader and she also owns the BU career 3-point field goal record with 207 makes.
Freshman Nina Davis (5-11, forward/post) is averaging 14.4 points and 7.2 rebounds a game. The Memphis, Tenn., native ranks No. 2 nationally in field goal percentage, hitting an impressive 65.4 (83-127) percent of her shots.
Junior post Sune Agbuke (6-4) is the team's top rebounder with 8.1 an outing, followed by Davis' 7.2 rpg. Freshman Khadijiah Cave (6-2 post) manages 6.6 a game while sophomore Kristina Higgins (6-5 post) contributes 5.8 a contest.
Sophomore guard Niya Johnson is the team's top distributor and ranks No. 11 nationally and No. 2 in the Big 12, averaging 6.8 assists an outing while Sims follows with 4.5 a game.
All five UConn starters are averaging double-digit scoring. Sophomore forward Breanna Stewart leads the Huskies with 18.1 points per contest and ranks second on the team in rebounding at 7.8 rpg. Senior guard Bria Hartley averages 13.8 a game and Stefanie Dolson, a senior center, averages 13.4 points and a team-leading 9.6 rebounds. Junior forward Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis scores 11.4 an outing and sophomore Moriah Jefferson (Glenn Heights, Texas) manages 10.2 an contest.
Baylor will resume Big 12 play as it travels to Lawrence, Kan., to take on the Kansas Jayhawks on Sun., Jan. 19, at 2 p.m.
On the Tube...
Starting with Monday's game vs. UConn, 10 of Baylor's 15 remaining regular-season games will be televised.
- The Lady Bears' school-record 69-game home win streak ranks No. 1 nationally and matches the third-longest in NCAA history all-time.
- Baylor's 44-game Big 12 Conference regular season win streak is the nation's longest active league win string.
- Baylor has won 53 straight Big 12 games overall, a continuing league record.
- Odyssey Sims, a 5-8 senior guard, is averaging a nation's-best 31.8 ppg as well as 4.5 assists, 4.3 rebounds and 2.1 steals. She is shooting .516 (161-312) from the floor, .452 (47-104) from 3-point range and .818 (108-132) from the free throw line.
- Over the last four games, Sims has averaged 5.8 rpg; 6 at K-State, 5 vs. Kansas, career-high 10 at West Virginia, 2 vs. TCU.
- Sims, with 536 career assists and 207 treys, ranks No. 1 in both categories on Baylor's all-time list.
- Nina Davis, a 5-11 freshman forward/post, is averaging 14.4 points per game and ranks No. 2 nationally and leads the Big 12 Conference in field goal shooting at 65.4 (83-127) percent. She leads all Big 12 freshmen in scoring this season.
- Niya Johnson, a 5-7 guard, ranks No. 11 nationally in assists per game (6.8) and is No. 10 in assist/turnover ratio at 3.3 per contest.
- Sune Agbuke, a 6-4 post, ranks No. 37 nationally in blocks per game (2.5). She has blocked 20 shots (3.3 bpg) over the past six contests.
- In her 14 seasons at the program's helm, Kim Mulkey has posted an impressive 386-82 (.825) record which ranks her No. 2 nationally in winning percentage among active coaches behind UConn's Geno Auriemma (.864).
- Kim Mulkey sports a 148-50 (.748) record vs. current Big 12 Conference teams.
- In 456 of 468 games under Kim Mulkey, the Lady Bears have held their opponent at or below 50 percent field goal shooting with only four of those efforts coming in the last 12 years.
- In Baylor's last 268 games, only one opponent (Stanford, .509) has shot 50 percent or above. Last season, the Cardinal broke BU's 217-game streak of holding an opponent to 50 percent or less shooting from the floor. Since then, BU has held it last 48 foes below 50 percent from the field.
Baylor on ESPN on Big Mondays...
- Monday's game marks Baylor's seventh overall Big Monday ESPN appearance, as the Lady Bears are 6-0 when playing on the network on Mondays.
- The Lady Bears posted two ESPN Big Monday wins last season, defeating #3/2 UConn in Hartford, Conn., 76-70, and a victory at Oklahoma (86-64).
- Baylor will play two games on ESPN2's Big Monday slate this season, vs. UConn and at Oklahoma (Feb. 3).
ESPN Big Monday appearances:
Feb. 22, 2010 - defeated Texas A&M, 65-63, in College Station
Feb. 14, 2011 - defeated Texas A&M in Waco, 67-58
Feb. 6, 2012 - defeated Oklahoma in Waco, 81-54
Feb. 27, 2012 - defeated Texas A&M, 69-62, in College Station
Feb. 18, 2013 - defeated UConn, 76-70, in Hartford, Conn.
Feb. 25, 2013 - defeated Oklahoma, 86-64, in Norman
- The series is tied, 2-2.
- Baylor has won the last two meetings between the two schools.
- Kim Mulkey is 2-2 vs. UConn.
- The highest ranked team has won each of the first four series meetings.