|Baylor at Kansas State
Jan. 16, 2013 | 7:00 p.m. CT
Manhattan, Kan. | Bramlage Coliseum (12,528)
|Listen | Gametracker | Notes | Tickets|
Baylor Makes Second Straight Road Trip to Kansas...
The defending national champion and top-ranked Baylor Lady Bears (14-1, 4-0) put their record-setting 26-game Big 12 regular season win streak on the line when they make their second straight road trip to the Sunflower state, as they take on the Kansas State Wildcats on Wednesday, Jan. 16, at 7:00 p.m.
The contest will be televised regionally by FSMW with Brian Smoller calling the action and Missy Heidrick handling color analyst duties.
Baylor, led by 2012 National Coach of the Year Kim Mulkey, is 14-1 on the season after posting an 82-60 road win over 17th-ranked Kansas, and has won 88 of its last 92 games since the start of the 2010-11 season.
Kansas State, under the direction of 17th-year head coach Deb Patterson, brings its 10-6 season record and 1-3 Big 12 mark to the floor as it hosts the Lady Bears on Wednesday night. The Wildcats enter the contest on a two-game losing streak after losses at Texas Tech (59-50) and at home vs. West Virginia (66-52).
Kansas State starts five guards and has only two players over six feet tall on its roster. The Wildcats are led by senior Brittany Chambers, a 5-8 guard, in both scoring and rebounding at 18.5 points and 7.6 rebounds a game and sophomore guard Haley Texada (Frisco, Texas/Wakeland HS), who averages 11.9 points a contest.
- Preseason National Player of the Year Brittney Griner, a 6-8 senior post, leads BU in scoring and rebounding with 21.1 points and 7.7 boards per game. Griner currently has 2,741 career points, 1,081 career rebounds and 639 blocks to her credit.
- Junior point guard and All-American candidate Odyssey Sims, who averages 12.7 points an outing, also dishes out a team-leading 5.3 assists per game and is 31-of-35 (.886) from the free throw line.
- Brooklyn Pope, enjoying her finest season as a Lady Bear, averages 11.5 points and 6.3 rebounds a contest, including 13.6 ppg over the last 10 contests.
Leading the Big 12...
- As a team, Baylor leads the Big 12 in six categories; scoring offense (81.9), field goal percentage (.504), scoring margin (+30.7), assists (21.6), blocked shots (5.7) and assist/turnover ratio (1.6).
- Individually, Brittney Griner ranks No. 1 statistically in scoring (21.1) and field goal percentage (.592).
- Four Lady Bears rank among the league's top-10 in field goal percentage; No. 1 - Brittney Griner (.592), No. 3 - Jordan Madden (.573), No. 4 - Brooklyn Pope (.573) and No. 8 - Destiny Williams (.553).
- A trio of Lady Bear guards are among the Big 12 leaders in assist/turnover ratio; No. 1 - Kimetria Hayden (3.0), No. 2 - Jordan Madden (2.5) and No. 4 - Niya Johnson (2.1).
Baylor's Record Win Streaks...
- Baylor has won a nation's-best 48 straight home contests, its last home loss was on March 7, 2010, vs. Texas, 70-54.
- UConn snapped Stanford's 82-game home win streak on Dec. 29, 2012.
- The Lady Bears have won a Big 12-record and nation's-best 26 consecutive regular season contests.
- Baylor has won 32 straight Big 12 games overall, a continuing league record.
Big 12 "Of the Week Honors"...
- Brittney Griner has been named Phillips 66 Big 12 Women's Basketball Player of the Week, as chosen by a media panel, Jan. 14.
- Griner extended her record for career women's basketball weekly honors to 23 and earned her fourth award of the season.
- Griner averaged 28.0 points, 5.5 rebounds and 3.0 blocks in Baylor's two victories over ranked opponents last week. The 6-8 center tallied a game-high 23 points, four rebounds, three blocks, two assists and a steal against No. 25 Iowa State, while going 10-of-20 from the floor.
- Griner recorded her second 30-plus point performance with 33 points at No. 17 Kansas while also registering seven rebounds, three assists and three blocks.
National "Of the Week Honors"...
- Brittney Griner has been named USBWA the Ann Meyers Drysdale Women's Basketball Player of the Week, as chosen by the U.S. Basketball Writers of America, Jan. 14.
- Griner is the first Lady Bear to earn the national weekly honor.
Kansas State Wildcats...
- Located in Manhattan, Kan., the Kansas State Wildcats bring their 10-6 season record and 1-3 Big 12 mark to the floor when they host the Lady Bears on Wednesday night. The Wildcats enter the contest on a two-game losing streak after losses at Texas Tech (59-50) and at home vs. West Virginia (66-52).
- The Wildcats start five guards and have only two players over six feet tall on their roster.
- Senior Brittany Chambers, a 5-8 guard, leads the team in both scoring and rebounding at 18.5 points and 7.6 rebounds a game. Sophomore guard Haley Texada (Frisco, Texas/Wakeland HS) averages 11.9 points a contest and Brianna Craig, a 5-10 freshman guard, manages 9.8 points an outing.
- The Wildcats are coached by 17th-year head coach Deb Patterson, a 1979 Rockford College graduate. Patterson is 330-195 (.629) in her 17 seasons as a head coach.
- Baylor leads the series 17-8, including 13 straight victories.
- Kansas State's last series win was on Jan. 27, 2004, in Manhattan, Kan., 85-65.
- The Lady Bears are 4-4 vs. Kansas State in games played in Bramlage Coliseum, including four straight wins. KSU's last home win vs. Baylor was on Jan. 27, 2004, 85-65.