|Baylor vs. West Virginia
Jan. 19, 2013 | 7:00 p.m. CT
Waco, Texas | Ferrell Center (10,284)
TV: FSSW (check local listings)
|Watch (Paid) | Listen | Gametracker | Notes | Tickets|
Television Listing for Game...
- DirecTV - Ch. 680 (680-1 HD); DISH - Ch. 441.
- Houston - FS Southwest main channel.
- Viewers in North Texas, Oklahoma and Arkansas will be able to watch the game on their Plus channel.
- Viewers in the Spurs territory (So. Texas) and Louisiana be able to watch the game on FCS (joined in progress at 7:30 p.m.).
Baylor Hosts West Virginia for 1st Time in League Play...
The defending national champion and top-ranked Baylor Lady Bears (15-1, 5-0) put their record-setting 27-game Big 12 regular season win streak and nation's best 48-game home win streak on the line when they host Big 12 newcomer West Virginia on Saturday, Jan. 19.
The contest will be televised regionally by FSSW with John Morris calling the action and Jim Haller handling color analyst duties. Check local listings for area coverage. Baylor, led by 2012 National Coach of the Year Kim Mulkey, is 15-1 on the season after posting Wednesday's 90-69 win at Kansas State, and has won 89 of its last 93 games since the start of the 2010-11 season, including 13 straight.
West Virginia, under the direction of 12th-year head coach Mike Carey, brings its 11-5 season record and 3-2 Big 12 mark to the Ferrell Center on Saturday night. The Mountaineers enter the contest on a three-game win streak after posting home victories over Texas (53-49) and TCU (58-50) and winning at Kansas State (66-52). Junior guard Christal Caldwell leads a trio of Mountaineers in double-digit scoring with 12.3 per contest. Taylor Palmer, a junior guard, averages 11.9 points an outing while senior center Ayana Dunning manages 10.8 points while pulling down a team-high 6.6 rebounds a game.
- Preseason National Player of the Year Brittney Griner, a 6-8 senior post, leads BU in scoring and rebounding with 21.6 points and 7.6 boards per game. Griner currently has 2,770 career points, 1,089 career rebounds, 642 blocks and 10 dunks to her credit.
- Junior point guard and All-American candidate Odyssey Sims, who averages 12.3 points an outing, also dishes out a team-leading 5.1 assists per game and is 35-of-40 (.875) from the free throw line.
- Brooklyn Pope, enjoying her finest season as a Lady Bear, averages 11.5 points and 6.3 rebounds a contest, including 13.4 ppg over the last 11 contests.
Baylor's Record Win Streaks...
- Baylor has won a nation's-best 48 straight home contests, its last home loss was on March 7, 2010, vs. Texas, 70-54.
- UConn snapped Stanford's 82-game home win streak on Dec. 29, 2012.
- The Lady Bears have won a Big 12-record and nation's-best 27 consecutive regular season contests.
- Baylor has won 33 straight Big 12 games overall, a continuing league record.
Big 12 Action...
- Baylor is a league-best 174-89 (.662) in 17 seasons of Big 12 Conference regular season play.
- Kim Mulkey is 147-52 (.739) in regular-season league play, including 128-50 (.719) vs. current Big 12 teams. Baylor was 27-37 in league play prior to Mulkey's arrival.
Leading the Big 12...
- As a team, Baylor leads the Big 12 in six categories; scoring offense (82.4), field goal percentage (.508), scoring margin (+30.1), assists (21.7), rebound margin (+11.8) and assist/turnover ratio (1.6).
- Individually, Brittney Griner ranks No. 1 statistically in scoring (21.6) and field goal percentage (.595).
- Five Lady Bears rank among the league's top-10 in field goal percentage; No. 1 - Brittney Griner (.595), No. 3 - Brooklyn Pope (.584), No. 4 - Jordan Madden (.581), No. 7 - Destiny Williams (.557) and No. 12 - Odyssey Sims (.486).
- A quarter of Lady Bear guards are among the Big 12 leaders in assists; No. 4 - Odyssey Sims (5.1), No. 6 - Kimetria Hayden (4.4), No. 10 - Jordan Madden (3.5) and No. 13 - Niya Johnson (3.0). BU guards are taking care of the ball as well, Hayden leads the league in assist/turnover ratio (2.9) while Madden is No. 2 at 2.5 and Sims is No. 7 with 1.9.
- The series between Baylor and West Virginia is tied at 1-1.
- Baylor won the most recent contest, an 82-68 victory on March 22, 2011, in the second round of the NCAA Championships in Waco.
- The Mountaineers' victory over Baylor came on Dec. 7, 1984, 73-67, in Oxford, Miss., in the Ole Miss-hosted Lady Rebel Dial Classic.
- Five active West Virginia players, Taylor Palmer, Brooke Hampton, Jessica Harlee and Ayana Dunning, played in the last BU-WVU game on March 22, 2011. Of the five, Ayana Dunning is the only player that scored, she tallied seven points and pulled down a team-high six rebounds.
- Six BU players, Brittney Griner, Destiny Williams, Odyssey Sims, Jordan Madden, Kimetria Hayden and Brooklyn Pope, participated in the game. Griner registered 30 points and eight blocks in the win while Sims added 13 points and Williams completed BU's double-digit scoring with 10 and tallied a game-high nine rebounds.
- With 642 career blocks, Griner needs 21 to claim the NCAA block record of 663, set by St. Mary's (CA) Louella Tomlinson (2006-11).
- Griner has scored 2,770 career points and ranks No. 2 on both BU's and the Big 12's career scoring charts.
- Kimetria Hayden has scored 949 career points and needs just 51 to become the 30th Lady Bear to achieve the milestone.
NCAA Division I Statistics...
- As a team, Baylor ranks among the top 25 in 10 NCAA statistical categories (through games of Jan. 17).
1. Field goal percentage - .508
1. Assist/turnover ratio - 1.63
1. Assists - 21.7
3. Scoring margin - 30.1
3. Scoring offense - 82.4
5. Rebound margin - 11.8
11. Field goal percentage defense - .328
9. Turnovers - 13.3
16. Blocked shots - 5.5
23. Scoring defense - .523
- Individually, four Lady Bears rank among the top 25 in NCAA Division I statistics in five categories:
2. Assist/turnover ratio - Kimetria Hayden, 2.9
6. Field goal percentage - Brittney Griner, .595
9. Points per game - Brittney Griner, 21.6
12. Assist/turnover ratio - Jordan Madden, 2.5
13. Blocked shots - Brittney Griner, 2.69
15. Free throw percentage - Odyssey Sims, .875