|Baylor vs. Kansas State
Jan. 22, 2014 | 7:00 p.m. CT
Waco, Texas | Ferrell Center (10,284)
|Watch | Listen | Gametracker | Notes | Tickets|
No. 12/10 Baylor Hopes to Bounce Back vs. Kansas State...
The 12th-ranked Baylor Lady Bears, 14-3 overall and 4-1 in Big 12 Conference action, hope to bounce back after suffering their first back-to-back losses since February 2011 to top-ranked UConn and Kansas in their last two outings.
The Lady Bears host Kansas State on Wednesday, Jan. 22 at 7 p.m. Baylor has won 29 straight home games vs. Big 12 foes since a 70-54 loss to Texas, March 7, 2010.
Kansas State, under the direction of 18th-year head coach Deb Patterson, enters the contest with an 8-9 season record and a 2-4 league mark, but is fresh off Saturday's 80-74 homeourt win over No. 13 Iowa State.
Senior guard Odyssey Sims continues to lead Baylor in scoring at a nation's-best and Big 12-leading 31.1 points per game. The Irving, Texas, native is averaging 4.6 rebounds a contest while dishing out 4.3 assists per game and shooting 47.6 percent from the floor, including .432 from beyond the arc. With 542 career assists, Sims is the program's all-time leader and she also owns BU's career 3-point field goal record with 211 makes. In addition, with 2,007 career points, she is the fifth Lady Bear player to reach the 2,000-point milestone.
Freshman Nina Davis (5-11, forward/post) is averaging 13.6 points and 7.8 rebounds a game. The Memphis, Tenn., native ranks No. 7 nationally in field goal percentage, hitting 61.6 (90-146) percent of her shots.
Junior post Sune Agbuke (6-4) is the team's top rebounder with 7.9 an outing, followed by Davis' 7.8 rpg. Freshman Khadijiah Cave (6-2 post) manages 6.0 a game while sophomore Kristina Higgins (6-5 post) contributes 5.4 a contest.
Sophomore guard Niya Johnson is the team's top distributor and ranks No. 14 nationally and No. 2 in the Big 12, averaging 6.5 assists an outing while Sims follows with 4.3 a game.
Kansas State is led by 5-8 freshman guard Leticia Romero, the reigning Big 12 Freshman of the Week. The rookie leads the team in both scoring and rebounding at 14.6 points and 5.9 rebounds a game, while Ashia Woods, a 5-11 junior guard, manages 11.0 points an outing.
We Back Pat...Baylor's game vs. Kansas State has been designated a "We Back Pat" game which supports the Pat Summitt Foundation in its fight against Alzheimer's disease. Players from both schools will be wearing, "We Back Pat" shooting shirts pregame and Baylor spirit squad members and the Courtside Players will also be wearing "We Back Pat" shirts.
Up Next...Baylor will play at eighth-ranked Oklahoma State on Sunday, Jan. 27, at 3 p.m. The game will be broadcast nationally on Fox Sports Network.
- Baylor's 44-game Big 12 Conference regular season win streak, which was halted at Kansas (76-60), was the nation's longest active league win string.
- Baylor had won 53 straight Big 12 games overall, a league record.
- Odyssey Sims, a 5-8 senior guard, is averaging a nation's-best 31.1 ppg as well as 4.3 assists, 4.6 rebounds and 2.0 steals. She is shooting .476 (178-374) from the floor, .432 (51-118) from 3-point range and .823 (121-147) from the free throw line.
- Sims, with 542 career assists and 211 treys, ranks No. 1 in both categories on Baylor's all-time list.
- Nina Davis, a 5-11 freshman forward/post, is averaging 13.6 points per game and ranks No. 7 nationally and leads the Big 12 Conference in field goal shooting at 61.6 (90-146) percent.
- Niya Johnson, a 5-7 guard, ranks No. 14 nationally in assists per game (6.5) and is No. 8 in assist/turnover ratio at 3.2 per contest.
- Sune Agbuke, a 6-4 post, ranks No. 25 nationally in blocks per game (2.5).
- In her 14 seasons at the program's helm, Kim Mulkey has posted an impressive 386-84 (.821) record which ranks her No. 2 nationally in winning percentage among active coaches behind UConn's Geno Auriemma (.864).
- Kim Mulkey sports a 148-51 (.744) record vs. current Big 12 Conference teams.
Sims Reaches 2,000 Points...
- Odyssey Sims, with her 31 points at Kansas, became just the fifth Lady Bear to score 2,000 career points, joining Suzie Snider Eppers (3,861), Brittney Griner (3,283), Sophia Young (2,480) and Maggie Davis-Stinnett (2,027).
- Sims' 2,007 career points ranks No. 5 on Baylor's scoring list and she needs just 21 points to overtake Maggie Davis-Stinnett's 2,027 points and move to No. 4.
2013-14 Lady Bear Honors...
- Sune Agbuke - Big 12 Commissioner's Honors Roll (fall)
- Mariah Chandler- Big 12 Commissioner's Honors Roll (fall)
- Nina Davis - Big 12 Freshman of the Week (Nov. 18, Dec. 9, Dec. 23); Big 12 Commissioner's Honors Roll (fall)
- Chardonae Fuqua' - Big 12 Commissioner's Honors Roll (fall)
- Kristina Higgins - Big 12 Commissioner's Honors Roll (fall)
- Alexis Prince - Preseason All-Big 12 (honorable mention)
- Makenzie Robertson - Big 12 Commissioner's Honors Roll (fall)
- Ieshia Small - Preseason Big 12 Freshman of the Year; Big 12 Commissioner's Honors Roll (fall)
- Odyssey Sims - ESPNW National Player of the Week (Nov. 25, Jan. 6); Big 12 Player of the Week (Nov. 25, Dec. 9, Jan. 6, Jan. 13); Preseason AP All-American; Wade Trophy Watch List; Wooden Award Top 20; Naismith Trophy Watch List; Preseason Big 12 Player of the Year; Preseason All-Big 12
- National Player of the Year contender and Big 12 Preseason Player of the Year Odyssey Sims, a 5-8 senior guard, is averaging a nation's-best 31.1 points per game as well as 4.6 rebounds , 4.3 assists and 1.9 steals.
- On the boards, junior post Sune Agbuke (6-4) leads the team with 7.9 rpg, while freshman forward/post Nina Davis hauls down 7.8 rpg. Freshman Khadijiah Cave (6-2 post) manages 6.0 a game while sophomore Kristina Higgins (6-5 post) averages 5.4 a contest.
- Sophomore guard Niya Johnson is the team's top distributor and ranks No. 14 nationally and No. 2 in the Big 12, averaging 6.5 assists an outing while Odyssey Sims follows with 4.3 a game.
Among the Big 12 Leaders...
- Odyssey Sims leads the Big 12 in scoring at 31.1 ppg while freshman Nina Davis ranks No. 10 (13.6 ppg).
- Sims leads the Big 12 in scoring in league games only at a blistering 35.4 ppg.
- Nina Davis is No. 7 in the nation and is No. 2 the Big 12 in field goal percentage at 61.6 percent.
- All four of Baylor's posts rank among the league's top 20 in rebounding. Sune Agbuke ranks No. 4 with 7.9 rpg, while Nina Davis is No. 5 with 7.8 rpg, Khadijiah Cave is No. 15 with 6.0 rpg and Kristina Higgins is No. 20 at 5.4 an outing.
- Nina Davis (No. 2, 3.6), Sune Agbuke (No. 7, 2.8) and Khadijiah Cave (No. 9, 2.5) rank among the Big 12's top offensive rebounders.
- Niya Johnson (3.2) and Odyssey Sims (1.8) are No. 1 and No. 6, respectively, in assist/turnover ratio. In addition, Johnson is No. 2 in the league in assists (6.5 apg) and Sims is No. 7 with 4.3 a contest.
- Sune Agbuke (43/2.5) ranks No. 2 in the Big 12 in blocked shots.
- Baylor leads the series 21-8, including 17 straight victories.
- Kansas State's last series win was on Jan. 27, 2004, in Manhattan, Kan., 85-65.
- The Lady Bears are 9-1 vs. Kansas State in games played in the Ferrell Center including six straight wins. The Wildcats' last victory over the Lady Bears in the Ferrell Center was on Feb. 8, 2003, 65-53.
- Kim Mulkey is 19-4 vs. Kansas State, 7-1 in Waco.
In the Big 12's 18th Season, Did You Know?
- Baylor, with its 44 straight regular season league wins, broke Oklahoma's Big 12 record for consecutive regular season conference victories. The Sooners won 24 straight games from March 3, 2005 until Jan. 27, 2007.
- Baylor is one of three programs to post a perfect league record: Baylor - 18-0 (2012 & `13); Nebraska - 16-0 (2010); Oklahoma - 16-0 (2006), and the first to post back-to-back unblemished league records.
- Baylor has won the most regular season Big 12 games and owns the league's best regular season winning percentage: Baylor - 191-90, .680 winning percentage Oklahoma - 181-100, .644 winning percentage
- Baylor has won the most Big 12 Tournament games and owns the league's best winning percentage in the event: Baylor - 26-12 (.664) Oklahoma - 23-13 (.639)
- Baylor is 55-2 in regular season Big 12 games over the past three seasons with a league-record 44-straight wins since a 56-45 loss at Texas Tech, Feb. 18, 2011. That string of wins was halted at Kansas (76-60) on Jan. 19.
- Baylor owns the record for most Big 12 Tournament championships with five, and Baylor and Oklahoma rank 1-2 in regular-season crowns with four and six, respectively.
- Kim Mulkey is 164-53 (.756) in regular-season league play, including 148-51 (.744) vs. current Big 12 teams. Baylor was 27-37 (.422) in league play prior to Mulkey's arrival.