|Baylor at Iowa State
Jan. 23, 2013 | 7:00 p.m. CT
Ames, Iowa | Hilton Coliseum (14,356)
|Watch (Paid) | Listen | Gametracker | Notes | Tickets|
Lady Bears Complete Season Series vs. Iowa State...
The defending national champion and top-ranked Baylor Lady Bears (16-1, 6-0) put their record-setting 28-game Big 12 regular season win streak on the line when they play at No. 24/22 Iowa State on Wednesday, Jan. 23. The contest will mark Baylor's eighth ranked opponent of the season, BU is 6-1 vs. ranked foes.
Baylor, led by 2012 National Coach of the Year Kim Mulkey, is 16-1 on the season after posting Saturday's 76-58 homecourt win over West Virginia, and has won 90 of its last 94 games since the start of the 2010-11 season, including 14 straight.
Iowa State, currently ranked No. 24 and under the direction of 18th-year head coach Bill Fennelly, is 13-3 on the season and 4-2 in league play after last week's win over Oklahoma (82-61) and loss at Oklahoma State (71-42). The Cyclones are led by junior forward Hallie Christofferson's 14.4 points per contest while Chelsea Poppens, a senior forward, averages 12.3 points and a team-leading 9.0 rebounds. Senior center Anna Prins manages 10.1 a contest.
- Preseason National Player of the Year Brittney Griner, a 6-8 senior post, leads BU in scoring and rebounding with a league-leading 21.8 points and 8.1 boards per game. Griner currently has 2,796 career points, 1,103 career rebounds, 651 blocks and 10 dunks to her credit. Griner needs just 40 points to become the Big 12's all-time scoring leader and 13 blocks to eclipse the NCAA block record. Griner already owns the NCAA record for career dunks.
- Junior point guard and All-American candidate Odyssey Sims, who averages 12.5 points an outing, also dishes out a team-leading 5.2 assists per game and is 36-of-42 (.857) from the free throw line.
- Brooklyn Pope, enjoying her finest season as a Lady Bear, averages 11.4 points and 6.2 rebounds a contest, including 13.0 ppg over the last 12 contests.
Leading the Big 12...
- As a team, Baylor leads the Big 12 in seven categories; scoring offense (82.1), field goal percentage (.508), scoring margin (+29.4), assists (21.5), blocked shots (5.8), rebound margin (+11.4) and assist/turnover ratio (1.6).
- Individually, Brittney Griner ranks No. 1 statistically in scoring (21.8) and field goal percentage (.598), while Kimetria Hayden ranks No. 1 in assist/turnover ratio (2.8).
- Four Lady Bears rank among the league's top-10 in field goal percentage; No. 1 - Brittney Griner (.598), No. 2 - Jordan Madden (.577), No. 5 - Brooklyn Pope (.564) and No. 7 - Destiny Williams (.550).
- A trio of Lady Bear guards are among the Big 12 leaders in assists; No. 4 - Odyssey Sims (5.2), No. 6 - Kimetria Hayden (4.4), No. 10 and - Jordan Madden (3.4). BU guards are taking care of the ball as well, Hayden leads the league in assist/turnover ratio (2.8) while Madden is No. 3 at 2.2 and Sims is No. 6 with 1.9.
- Baylor's 28-game Big 12 Conference regular season win streak is the nation's longest active league win streak.
- During Kim Mulkey's 434-game tenure, a Baylor opponent has only shot 50 percent or better 12 times and on only four occasions in the last 12 years.
- In Baylor's last 234 games, only one opponent (Stanford, .509) has shot 50 percent or above. This season, the Cardinal broke BU's 217-game streak of holding an opponent to 50 percent or less shooting from the floor.
- Baylor is 6-1 vs. ranked opponents this season and four players are averaging 9.4 or more points per game vs. rated foes: Brittney Griner (22.9 ppg), Brooklyn Pope (11.4), Odyssey Sims (11.3) and Destiny Williams (9.4).
- As a team, Baylor ranks among the top 25 in nine NCAA statistical categories, while three players are among the nation's top 25 statistically.
- Griner has blocked at least one shot in 126 of her 129-game career, including 66 straight outings. The three games in which she did not block a shot all came in her sophomore season (vs. FIU, vs. Clemson, vs. Kansas State).
- In head coach Kim Mulkey's 13 seasons, Baylor is 94-58 (.618) against ranked opponents. Since a 69-55 loss to No. 15 Texas during the 2004-05 season, Baylor is 74-33 (.692) versus ranked opponents, including 13-0 last season and 6-1 this season.
Baylor's Record Win Streaks...
- Baylor has won a nation's-best 49 straight home contests, its last home loss was on March 7, 2010, vs. Texas, 70-54.
- UConn snapped Stanford's 82-game home win streak on Dec. 29, 2012.
- The Lady Bears have won a Big 12-record and nation's-best 28 consecutive regular season contests.
- Baylor has won 34 straight Big 12 games overall, a continuing league record.
- BU leads the series 15-6 and has won four straight and 10 of the last 11 games.
- Iowa State's last victory over BU came on Feb. 13, 2010, in Ames, 69-45.
- The series is tied, 4-4, in games played in Hilton Coliseum.
- The Cyclones' last win in Ames came on Feb. 13, 2010, 69-45.