Jan. 24, 2014
|Baylor at Oklahoma State
Jan. 26, 2014 | 3:00 p.m. CT
Stillwater, Okla. | Gallagher-Iba Arena (13,611)
TV: Fox Sports Network
|Listen | Gametracker | Notes | Tickets|
No. 12/10 Baylor Takes on No. 8/9 Oklahoma State...
The 12th-ranked Baylor Lady Bears, 15-3 overall and 5-1 in Big 12 Conference action, travel to Stillwater, Okla., to take on their third top-10 opponent of the season when they tangle with eighth-ranked Oklahoma State in a nationally televised game (FSN) on Sunday, Jan. 26, at 3 p.m. in historic Gallagher-Iba Arena.
The Oklahoma State Cowgirls, under the direction of third-year head coach Jim Littell, are 17-1 on the season and own a 6-1 league mark. The Cowgirls, tied for the league lead with West Virginia, enter the contest enjoying their first five-game winning streak against Big 12 foes since 1997-98.
Freshman Nina Davis (5-11, forward/post) is averaging 13.4 points and 7.7 rebounds a game. The Memphis, Tenn., native ranks No. 7 nationally in field goal percentage, hitting 60.6 (94-155) percent of her shots.
Junior post Sune Agbuke (6-4) and 5-11 freshman forward/post Nina Davis lead the team with 7.7 rpg apiece. Freshman Khadijiah Cave (6-2 post) manages 5.9 a game while sophomore Kristina Higgins (6-5 post) averages 5.2 a contest.
Sophomore guard Niya Johnson is the team’s top distributor and ranks No. 14 nationally and No. 2 in the Big 12, averaging 6.4 assists an outing while Sims follows with 4.4 a game.
The Cowgirls are led by senior guard Tiffany Bias’ 14.3 points per game, while Brittney Martin, a sophomore guard, manages 13.2 points and 7.1 rebounds a contest and junior forward Liz Donohoe averages 12.4 points and a team-leading 7.6 rebounds an outing.
On the Tube...
Baylor’s game vs. Oklahoma State will be televised nationally by Fox Sports Network. Ron Thulin will handle play-by-play duties while Brenda VanLengen will provide color analysis. Check local listings for availability in local area.
Baylor will host Texas Tech on Wednesday, Jan. 29, at 7 p.m. The game will be broadcast by Fox Sports Southwest Plus. The Lady Bears follow the Texas Tech game with another home contest as they host Texas on Saturday, Feb. 1, at 6:30 p.m. The contest will be broadcast on Fox Sports Southwest.
- Baylor’s 44-game Big 12 Conference regular season win streak, which was halted at Kansas (76-60, Jan. 19), was the nation’s longest active league win string.
- Baylor had won 53 straight Big 12 games overall, a league record.
- Odyssey Sims, a 5-8 senior guard, is averaging a nation’s-best 30.4 ppg as well as 4.4 assists, 4.4 rebounds and 1.8 steals. She is shooting .477 (85-388) from the floor, .443 (54-122) from 3-point range and .810 (124-153) from the free throw line
- Sims, with 548 career assists and 214 treys, ranks No. 1 in both categories on Baylor’s all-time list.
- Nina Davis, a 5-11 freshman forward/post, is averaging 13.4 points per game and ranks No. 7 nationally and leads the Big 12 Conference in field goal shooting at 60.6 (94-155) percent.
- Niya Johnson, a 5-7 guard, ranks No. 14 nationally in assists per game (6.4) and is No. 8 in assist/turnover ratio at 3.4 per contest.
- Sune Agbuke, a 6-4 post, ranks No. 25 nationally in blocks per game (2.45).
- In her 14 seasons at the program's helm, Kim Mulkey has posted an impressive 387-84 (.823) record which ranks her No. 2 nationally in winning percentage among active coaches behind UConn’s Geno Auriemma (.864).
- Kim Mulkey sports a 149-51 (.745) record vs. current Big 12 Conference teams.
- In 459 of 471 games under Kim Mulkey, the Lady Bears have held their opponent at or below 50 percent field goal shooting with only four of those efforts coming in the last 12 years.
Sims Reaches 2,000 Points...
- Odyssey Sims, with her 31 points at Kansas, became just the fifth Lady Bear to score 2,000 career points, joining Suzie Snider Eppers (3,861), Brittney Griner (3,283), Sophia Young (2,480) and Maggie Davis-Stinnett (2,027).
- Sims scored 20 points vs. Kansas State (Jan. 22), her 2,027 career points ties her for No. 4 on Baylor’s scoring list, matching Maggie Davis-Stinnett’s 2,027 points.
2013-14 Lady Bear Honors...
- Sune Agbuke - Big 12 Commissioner’s Honor Roll (fall)
- Mariah Chandler- Big 12 Commissioner’s Honor Roll (fall)
- Nina Davis - Big 12 Freshman of the Week (Nov. 18, Dec. 9, Dec. 23); Big 12 Commissioner’s Honor Roll (fall)
- Chardonae Fuqua’ - Big 12 Commissioner’s Honor Roll (fall)
- Kristina Higgins - Big 12 Commissioner’s Honor Roll (fall)
- Alexis Prince - Preseason All-Big 12 (honorable mention)
- Makenzie Robertson - Big 12 Commissioner’s Honors Roll (fall)
- Ieshia Small - Preseason Big 12 Freshman of the Year; Big 12 Commissioner’s Honor Roll (fall)
- Odyssey Sims - ESPNW National Player of the Week (Nov. 25, Jan. 6); Big 12 Player of the Week (Nov. 25, Dec. 9, Jan. 6, Jan. 13); Preseason AP All-American; Wade Trophy Watch List; Wooden Award Top 20; Naismith Trophy Watch List; Preseason Big 12 Player of the Year; Preseason All-Big 12
- National Player of the Year contender and Big 12 Preseason Player of the Year Odyssey Sims, a 5-8 senior guard, is averaging a nation’s-best 30.4 points per game as well as 4.4 rebounds , 4.4 assists and 1.8 steals.
- On the boards, junior post Sune Agbuke (6-4) and freshman forward/post Nina Davis lead the team with 7.7 rpg apiece. Freshman Khadijiah Cave (6-2 post) manages 5.9 a game while sophomore Kristina Higgins (6-5 post) averages 5.2 a contest.
- Sophomore guard Niya Johnson is the team’s top distributor and ranks No. 14 nationally and No. 2 in the Big 12, averaging 6.4 assists an outing while Odyssey Sims follows with 4.4 a game.
Among the Big 12 Leaders...
- Odyssey Sims leads the Big 12 in scoring at 30.4 ppg while freshman Nina Davis ranks No. 11 (13.4 ppg).
- Sims leads the Big 12 in scoring in league games only at a blistering 32.8 ppg.
- Nina Davis is No. 7 in the nation and is No. 1 the Big 12 in field goal percentage at 60.6 percent.
- Three of Baylor’s four posts rank among the league’s top 20 in rebounding. Nina Davis ranks No. 6 with 7.7 rpg, Sune Agbuke ranks No. 7 with 7.7 rpg, while Khadijiah Cave is No. 15 with 5.9 rpg.
- Nina Davis (No. 2, 3.6) and Sune Agbuke (No. 7, 2.8) rank among the Big 12’s top offensive rebounders.
- Niya Johnson (3.4) and Odyssey Sims (1.9) are No. 1 and No. 7, respectively, in assist/turnover ratio. In addition, Johnson is No. 2 in the league in assists (6.4 apg) and Sims is No. 6 with 4.4 a contest.
- Sune Agbuke (43/2.4) ranks No. 2 in the Big 12 in blocked shots.
Lady Bears vs. Ranked Opponents...
- Baylor is 0-2 vs. ranked opponents this season, both of which were ranked in the AP’s Top 10.
- The contest marks Baylor’s third game vs. a Top 10 opponent, the Lady Bears lost to fifth-ranked Kentucky in quadruple overtime, 133-130, and to top-ranked UConn, 66-55.
Mulkey vs. Ranked Opponents...
- In head coach Kim Mulkey’s 14 seasons, Baylor is 100-61 (.621) against ranked opponents. Since a 69-55 loss to No. 15 Texas during the 2004-05 season, Baylor is 81-36 (.692) versus ranked opponents, including 13-0 in 20011-12, 12-2 this past season and 0-2 in 2013-14.
- Mulkey is 34-30 (.531) vs. Top-10 foes.
Oklahoma State Cowgirls...
- Located in Stillwater, Okla., the eighth-ranked OSU Cowgirls enter Sunday’s contest with a 17-1 season mark and a 6-1 league record. The Cowgirls are enjoying their first five-game winning streak against Big 12 foes since 1997-98. OSU is tied with West Virginia for the league lead with a 6-1 mark each, while Baylor follows at 5-1.
- The Cowgirls sport an 11-1 record, 3-1 in league play, at Gallagher-Iba Arena this season. OSU’s lone season loss came in Gallagher Iba Arena vs. West Virginia (71-67) on Jan. 4, 2014. Since that loss, the Cowgirls have reeled off five consecutive wins.
- The Cowgirls are led by senior guard Tiffany Bias’ 14.3 points per game, while Brittney Martin, a sophomore guard, manages 13.2 points and 7.1 rebounds a contest and junior forward Liz Donohoe averages 12.4 points and a team-leading 7.6 rebounds an outing.
- OSU is coached by third-year head coach Jim Littell (Southwestern College, 1977). Littell is 60-24 (.714) in his three seasons as OSU’s head coach.
Series Record vs. OSU...
- BU leads the series 29-10 and has won eight straight and 11 of the last 12 games.
- BU leads the series in Stillwater, 9-8.
- OSU’s last victory over BU came on Jan. 9, 2010, in Stillwater, 78-65.
- Kim Mulkey is 23-5 vs. Oklahoma State, 9-4 in Stillwater.
- BU pulled out a 77-69 victory over OSU in the Big 12 Championship semifinals last season.
- OSU outscored BU, 36-32, in the second half and pulled to within three (72-69) with 1:34 left in the contest. However, a steal by Brittney Griner, a trey by Jordan Madden and two free throws by Odyssey Sims preserved the win for Baylor.
OSU and BU Rank Among League Leaders...
- BU leads the league in scoring (89.0)
- OSU leads the league in scoring defense (53.8)
- Field goal percentage - OSU (No. 2, .445); BU (No. 3, .442)
- Rebounding - BU (No. 1, 51.0); OSU (No. 2, 45.3)
- 3-point field goal defense - OSU (No. 1, .208); BU (No. 2, .263)
- Assists - BU (No. 1, 19.9); OSU (No. 2, 15.6)
- Assist/turnover ratio - BU (No. 1, 1.5); OSU (No. 2, 1.1)