|Baylor vs. Oklahoma
Jan. 26, 2013 | 11:00 a.m. CT
Waco, Texas | Ferrell Center (10,284)
|Listen | Gametracker | Notes | Tickets|
Lady Bears Host No. 20/19 Oklahoma on Family Day...
The defending national champion and top-ranked Baylor Lady Bears (17-1, 7-0) have a one-game lead in the Big 12 standings and put their record-setting 29-game Big 12 regular season win streak on the line when they host No. 20/19 Oklahoma on Saturday, Jan. 26. The contest will mark Baylor's ninth ranked opponent of the season, BU is 7-1 vs. ranked foes, and puts BU's nation's-leading 15-game win streak on the line.
The contest will be nationally televised by Fox Sports Network (FSN) with Bob Licht calling the action and Brenda VanLengen handling color analyst duties, tip time is 11:05 a.m. Saturday's contest marks Lady Bear Family Day. The players and their families will be honored during halftime festivities.
Baylor, led by 2012 National Coach of the Year Kim Mulkey, is 17-1 on the season after posting Wednesday's 66-51 road win over 24th-ranked Iowa State, and has won 91 of its last 95 games since the start of the 2010-11 season, including 15 straight.
Oklahoma, currently ranked No. 20/19 and under the direction of 17th-year head coach Sherri Coale, is 15-3 on the season and 5-1 in league play. The Sooners are led by junior guard Aaryn Ellenberg's 18.9 points per contest, junior center Nicole Griffin tallies 11.0 points a game while Morgan Hook, a junior guard, averages 10.5 points an outing. Senior forward Joanna McFarland leads the team in rebounding with 8.4 a contest
- Preseason National Player of the Year Brittney Griner, a 6-8 senior post, leads BU in scoring and rebounding with a league-leading 21.8 points and 8.1 boards per game. Griner currently has 2,818 career points, 1,111 career rebounds, 657 blocks and 11 dunks to her credit. Griner needs just 18 points to become the Big 12's all-time scoring leader and seven blocks to eclipse the NCAA block record. Griner already owns the NCAA record for career dunks.
- Junior point guard and All-American candidate Odyssey Sims, who averages 12.5 points an outing, also dishes out a team-leading 5.1 assists per game and is 41-of-47 (.872) from the free throw line.
- Brooklyn Pope, enjoying her finest season as a Lady Bear, averages 11.2 points and 6.3 rebounds a contest.
National Television Broadcast...
- The game between 20th-ranked Oklahoma and top-ranked Baylor will be televised nationally by FOX Sports Network (FSN). A total of 16 FSN affiliates nationwide will carry the contest live.
- The following FSN stations will carry the live telecast: Arizona, Detroit, Midwest (Plus), North (Plus), Ohio, Oklahoma, Southwest, West, Wisconsin (Plus), Sportsouth, Sun Sports, MSG Plus, Root Sports (Northwest Region, Pittsburgh Region, Rocky Mountain Region) and Fox College Sports Central.
- The Lady Bears' 49-game home win streak ranks No. 1 nationally after UConn snapped Stanford's string of 82 straight wins on Dec. 29, 2012.
- Baylor's 29-game Big 12 Conference regular season win streak is the nation's longest active league win streak.
- With Kentucky's loss at South Carolina on Thursday, Baylor now owns the nation's longest win streak with 15 straight victories.
- Brittney Griner has registered a Big 12 record 657 career blocked shots, and ranks No. 2 on the NCAA Division I Career Top 10 list; she trails record-holder Louella Tomlinson's (Saint Mary's [CA]) 663 rejections by six.
- Brittney Griner ranks No. 2 on BU's all-time scoring chart with 2,818 points and No. 2 on the Big 12 career list, she needs just 18 points to pass OSU's Andrea Riley for the Big 12's top spot. In addition, Griner ranks No. 2 on the Big 12's career free throw list with 704 makes.
- During Kim Mulkey's 435-game tenure, a Baylor opponent has only shot 50 percent or better 12 times and on only four occasions in the last 13 years.
- In Baylor's last 235 games, only one opponent (Stanford, .509) has shot 50 percent or above. This season, the Cardinal broke BU's 217-game streak of holding an opponent to 50 percent or less shooting from the floor.
- Baylor is 7-1 vs. ranked opponents this season and four players are averaging 8.5 or more points per game vs. rated foes: Brittney Griner (22.8 ppg), Odyssey Sims (11.4), Brooklyn Pope (11.0) and Destiny Williams (8.5).
- As a team, Baylor ranks among the top 25 in 11 NCAA statistical categories, while four players are among the nation's top 25 statistically (see page 7 for listing).
- Baylor is ranked No. 5 nationally in home attendance with 8,644 fans per game (see chart at bottom of page).
Baylor's Record Win Streaks...
- Baylor has won a nation's-best 49 straight home contests, its last home loss was on March 7, 2010, vs. Texas, 70-54.
- UConn snapped Stanford's 82-game home win streak on Dec. 29, 2012.
- The Lady Bears have won a Big 12-record and nation's-best 29 consecutive regular season contests.
- Baylor has won 35 straight Big 12 games overall, a continuing league record.
Leading the Big 12...
- As a team, Baylor leads the Big 12 in nine categories; scoring offense (81.2), field goal percentage (.503), scoring margin (+28.6), scoring defense (52.6), 3-point field goal percentage defense (.260), assists (21.1), blocked shots (5.8), rebound margin (+10.8) and assist/turnover ratio (1.6).
- Individually, Brittney Griner ranks No. 1 statistically in scoring (21.8) and field goal percentage (.588), while Kimetria Hayden ranks No. 2 in assist/turnover ratio (3.0).
- Four Lady Bears rank among the league's top-10 in field goal percentage; No. 1 - Brittney Griner (.588), No. 4 - Jordan Madden (.563), No. 5 - Brooklyn Pope (.559) and No. 7 - Destiny Williams (.544).
- A trio of Lady Bear guards are among the Big 12 leaders in assists; No. 4 - Odyssey Sims (5.1), No. 6 - Kimetria Hayden (4.3), No. 9 and - Jordan Madden (3.4). BU guards are taking care of the ball as well, Hayden is No. 2 in the league in assist/turnover ratio (3.0) while Madden is No. 3 at 2.4 and Sims is No. 7 with 1.9.
- Oklahoma leads the series 24-15, but Baylor has won the last four meetings.
- Oklahoma's last victory over BU came on March 12, 2010, in Kansas City, Mo., in the second round of the Big 12 Championship. Then-No. 12 ranked OU downed 16th-ranked Baylor, 59-54.
- OU also leads the series in games played in the Ferrell Center, 9-8.
- The Sooners' last win in Waco came on Jan. 28, 2009, 56-51.
- BU won both contests last season, triumphing 89-58 in Norman and 81-54 in Waco.
- Over the two games, Brittney Griner led Baylor, averaging 22.5 points and 7.0 rebounds per contest, she also registered 15 blocks (7.5 bpg). Odyssey Sims and Brooklyn Pope each averaged double-digit scoring with 14.0 and 10.5 points, respectively. Destiny Williams averaged 11.0 rebounds a game while scoring 8.5 points.