Jan. 28, 2014
|Baylor vs. Texas Tech
Jan. 29, 2014 | 7:00 p.m. CT
Waco, Texas | Ferrell Center (10,284)
TV: Fox Sports Southwest Plus
|Listen | Gametracker | Notes | Tickets|
No. 9/7 Baylor Hosts Texas Tech...
The ninth-ranked Baylor Lady Bears, 16-3 overall and sitting alone atop the Big 12 standings at 6-1, host Texas Tech on Wednesday, Jan. 29, at 7 p.m. in a game televised on Fox Sports Southwest Plus to the northern half of Texas while cable viewers in the southern half of Texas will be able to view it on FS Southwest's main feed.
The Texas Tech Lady Raiders, under the direction of first-year head coach Candi Whitaker, are 6-13 on the season and own an 0-8 league mark.
Senior guard Odyssey Sims continues to lead Baylor in scoring at a Big 12-best 29.7 points per game. The Irving, Texas, native is averaging 4.6 rebounds a contest while dishing out 4.6 assists per game and shooting 46.3 percent from the floor, including .415 from beyond the arc. With 556 career assists, Sims is the program's all-time leader and she also owns BU's career 3-point field goal record with 214 makes. In addition, with 2,044 career points, she is the fifth Lady Bear player to reach the 2,000-point milestone.
Freshman Nina Davis (5-11, forward/post), the reigning Big 12 Freshman of the Week, is averaging 13.5 points and a team-leading 8.2 rebounds a game. The Memphis, Tenn., native ranks No. 9 nationally in field goal percentage, hitting 60.1 (101-168) percent of her shots.
On the boards, Davis leads the team with 8.2 rpg while junior post Sune Agbuke (6-4) follows with 7.8 and outing. Freshman Khadijiah Cave (6-2 post) manages 5.7 a game and sophomore Kristina Higgins (6-5 post) averages 5.1 a contest.
Sophomore guard Niya Johnson is the team's top distributor and ranks No. 16 nationally and No. 2 in the Big 12, averaging 6.4 assists an outing while Sims follows with 4.6 a game.
The Lady Raiders are led by junior guard Amber Battles' 18.7 points and 7.8 rebounds per game.
On the Tube...
Eight of Baylor's final 11 regular season games will be televised, including its next four games. The Lady Bears will play two home games this week , both of which will be televised by Fox Sports Southwest, hosting Texas Tech on Wednesday, Jan. 29 (7 p.m.) and Texas on Saturday, Feb. 1 (6:30 p.m.). Baylor's next two games will be nationally televised by ESPN2 when the Lady Bears are at Oklahoma on Monday, Feb. 3 (6 p.m. CT) and host Oklahoma State on Sunday, Feb. 9 (3 p.m. CT).
Three Games in Six Days...
Baylor will get plenty of court action in the coming days. Beginning with the Texas Tech game, the Lady Bears will play three games in six days. BU hosts the Lady Raiders on Wednesday, Jan. 29, hosts Texas on Saturday, Feb. 1 and plays at Oklahoma on Monday, Feb. 3.
- Baylor has won 30-straight home games vs. Big 12 opponents.
- Baylor's 44-game Big 12 Conference regular season win streak, which was halted at Kansas (76-60, Jan. 19), was the nation's longest active league win string.
- Baylor had won 53 straight Big 12 games overall, a league record.
- Odyssey Sims, a 5-8 senior guard, is averaging 29.7 ppg, which ranks No. 2 nationally, as well as 4.6 assists, 4.6 rebounds and 1.8 steals. She is shooting .463 (192-415) from the floor, .415 (54-130) from 3-point range and .804 (127-158) from the free throw line.
- Sims, with 556 career assists and 214 treys, ranks No. 1 in both categories on Baylor's all-time list.
- Nina Davis, a 5-11 freshman forward/post, is averaging 13.5 points per game and ranks No. 9 nationally and leads the Big 12 Conference in field goal shooting at 60.1 (101-168) percent. Davis has averaged 15.7 points. 15.0 rebounds and 3.0 assists this season vs. top 10 opponents (#5 Kentucky, #1 UConn, #8 Oklahoma State).
- Niya Johnson, a 5-7 guard, ranks No. 16 nationally in assists per game (6.4) and is No. 6 in assist/turnover ratio at 3.3 per contest.
- Sune Agbuke, a 6-4 post, ranks No. 26 nationally in blocks per game (2.4).
- In her 14 seasons at the program's helm, Kim Mulkey has posted an impressive 388-84 (.822) record which ranks her No. 2 nationally in winning percentage among active coaches behind UConn's Geno Auriemma (.864).
- Kim Mulkey sports a 150-51 (.746) record vs. current Big 12 Conference teams.
Sims Simply Stellar...
- Odyssey Sims, a 5-8 senior guard, turned in a stellar performance in Baylor's 78-62 victory at West Virginia, establishing career highs in both points (48) and rebounds (10). Her 48-point effort was the second-highest in Big 12 history behind Brittney Griner's 50-point game, March 4, 2013, vs. Kansas State.
- Sims shot 14-29 (.483) from the floor, including 6-10 (.600) from 3-point range, and 14-17 (.824) from the charity stripe with seven assists and two steals.
Robertson Hot From Outside...
- Makenzie Robertson, a 5-11 senior guard, turned in a solid performance in Baylor's 69-66 overtime road win over eighth-ranked Oklahoma State. Robertson drilled six treys to lead all scorers with 18 points.
- With the Lady Bears trailing by four late in regulation, Robertson hit a three that cut Oklahoma State's lead to 57-56 with 1:36 to go. She hit another 3-pointer with six seconds left to tie the score at 61. Robertson was 6-of-12 from the floor, including 6-of-10 from 3-point range and added four rebounds, an assist and a steal in 43 minutes.
Nina Davis Honored as Big 12 Freshman of the Week...
- Nina Davis, a 5-11 freshman forward/post, was selected for Phillips 66 Big 12 Women's Basketball Freshman of the Week honors for the fourth time this season. The Memphis, Tenn., native is the only rookie to be honored four times this season.
- Davis averaged 12.5 points and 11.5 rebounds in BU's two victories last week. She tallied nine points and six rebounds against K-State during the midweek game. In BU's overtime win at No. 8/9 Oklahoma State, Davis scored 16 points, hauled down a career-high-tying 17 rebounds and also tied career highs in steals (5) and blocks (2).
2013-14 Lady Bear Honors...
- Sune Agbuke - Big 12 Commissioner's Honor Roll (fall)
- Mariah Chandler- Big 12 Commissioner's Honor Roll (fall)
- Nina Davis - Big 12 Freshman of the Week (Nov. 18, Dec. 9, Dec. 23, Jan. 27); Big 12 Commissioner's Honor Roll (fall)
- Chardonae Fuqua' - Big 12 Commissioner's Honor Roll (fall)
- Kristina Higgins - Big 12 Commissioner's Honor Roll (fall)
- Alexis Prince - Preseason All-Big 12 (honorable mention)
- Makenzie Robertson - Big 12 Commissioner's Honors Roll (fall)
- Ieshia Small - Preseason Big 12 Freshman of the Year; Big 12 Commissioner's Honor Roll (fall)
- Odyssey Sims - ESPNW National Player of the Week (Nov. 25, Jan. 6); Big 12 Player of the Week (Nov. 25, Dec. 9, Jan. 6, Jan. 13); Preseason AP All-American; Wade Trophy Watch List; Wooden Award Top 20; Naismith Trophy Watch List; Preseason Big 12 Player of the Year; Preseason All-Big 12
- National Player of the Year contender and Big 12 Preseason Player of the Year Odyssey Sims, a 5-8 senior guard, is averaging a 29.7 points per game, which ranks No. 2 nationally, as well as 4.6 rebounds , 4.6 assists and 1.8 steals.
- On the boards, freshman forward/post Nina Davis leads the team with 8.2 rpg while junior post Sune Agbuke (6-4) follows with 7.8 and outing. Freshman Khadijiah Cave (6-2 post) manages 5.7 a game and sophomore Kristina Higgins (6-5 post) averages 5.1 a contest.
- Sophomore guard Niya Johnson is the team's top distributor and ranks No. 16 nationally and No. 2 in the Big 12, averaging 6.4 assists an outing while Odyssey Sims follows with 4.6 a game.
Among the Big 12 Leaders...
- Odyssey Sims leads the Big 12 in scoring at 29.7 ppg while freshman Nina Davis ranks No. 10 (13.5 ppg). Davis ranks No. 2 in scoring among the league's rookies and is the conference's top rookie rebounder.
- Sims leads the Big 12 in scoring in league games only at 30.6 ppg.
- Nina Davis is No. 7 in the nation and is No. 1 the Big 12 in field goal percentage at 60.1 percent.
- Three of Baylor's four posts rank among the league's top 20 in rebounding. Nina Davis ranks No. 2 with 8.2 rpg, Sune Agbuke ranks No. 6 with 7.8 rpg, while Khadijiah Cave is No. 17 with 5.7 rpg.
- Nina Davis (No. 2, 3.7) and Sune Agbuke (No. 5, 2.9) rank among the Big 12's top offensive rebounders.
- Niya Johnson (3.3) and Odyssey Sims (1.7) are No. 1 and No. 8, respectively, in assist/turnover ratio. In addition, Johnson is No. 2 in the league in assists (6.4 apg) and Sims is No. 6 with 4.6 a contest.
- Sune Agbuke (46/2.4) ranks No. 2 in the Big 12 in blocked shots.
Back in the Top 10...
- After 67 consecutive top 10 appearances in the Associated Press Poll, Baylor dropped to No. 12 after its 76-60 loss at Kansas on Jan. 20.
- After a one week hiatus, the Lady Bears are back in the top 10, checking in at No. 9 after upsetting then-eighth-ranked Oklahoma State, 69-66 in overtime, in Stillwater.
- Baylor now has 165 top 10 poll appearances as well as 190 consecutive poll appearances and 210 overall.
Texas Tech Lady Raiders...
- Located in Lubbock, Texas, the Texas Tech Lady Raiders enter Wednesday's contest at 6-13 on the season and 0-8 in league play. Texas Tech is mired in a nine-game losing streak which started on Dec. 22, 2013, with a 58-57 home loss to Abilene Christian.
- The Lady Raiders sport an 0-6 road record this season, including an 0-3 Big 12 road mark. Texas Tech and its most recent opponent, 20th-ranked Iowa State, went to overtime on Saturday before the visiting Cyclones pulled out an 85-76 victory.
- The Lady Raiders are led by junior guard Amber Battles' 18.7 points and 7.8 rebounds per game.
- Texas Tech is coached by first-year head coach Candi Whitaker (Texas Tech, 2002). Whitaker spent last season as the associate head coach at Oklahoma State under Jim Littell. Prior to her time in Stillwater, she served as head coach at the University of Missouri-Kansas City for six seasons (2006-2012). Whitaker, a former point guard at Texas Tech under legendary coach Marsha Sharp, is 6-13 (.316) in her first season along the Texas Tech sideline and 83-106 (.439) in her seven seasons as a head coach.
Series Record vs. Texas Tech...
- Texas Tech leads the series 47-30, but Baylor has won the last five meetings.
- Texas Tech's last victory over BU came on Feb. 19, 2011, in Lubbock, 56-45.
- Texas Tech leads the series in games played in Waco, 20-13, but Baylor has won the last nine games in the Ferrell Center. The Lady Raiders' last victory in Waco came on Feb. 8, 2004, 62-59.
- BU is 22-8 vs. Texas Tech under Kim Mulkey, including a 10-2 Ferrell Center mark.