|Baylor at Texas Tech
Jan. 30, 2013 | 7:00 p.m. CT
Lubbock, Texas | United Spirit Arena (15,050)
|Watch (Paid) | Listen | Gametracker | Notes | Tickets|
Lady Bears Travel to Texas Tech for First Meeting of Season...
The defending national champion and top-ranked Baylor Lady Bears (18-1, 8-0) have a two-game lead in the Big 12 standings and put their record-setting 30-game Big 12 regular season win streak on the line when they travel to Texas Tech on Wednesday, Jan. 30.
Baylor, led by 2012 National Coach of the Year Kim Mulkey, is 18-1 on the season after posting Saturday's 82-65 homecourt win over 20th-ranked Oklahoma, and has won 92 of its last 96 games since the start of the 2010-11 season, including a nation's best 16 straight.
Texas Tech, under the direction of 14th-year head coach Kristy Curry, is 16-4 on the season and 6-2 in league play and currently sits in second place in the conference standings. The Lady Raiders are led by senior guard Casey Morris' 12.0 points per contest, senior guard Chynna Brown tallies 10.1 points a game while Christine Hyde, a senior guard, averages 10.1 points an outing. Hyde, at 5.7 per game, leads a trio of Lady Raiders who average 5.0 or more rebounds a contest.
- Preseason National Player of the Year Brittney Griner, a 6-8 senior post, leads BU in scoring and rebounding with a league-leading 21.5 points and 8.1 boards per game. Griner currently has 2,833 career points, 1,119 career rebounds, and NCAA records of 665 blocks and 11 dunks to her credit. Griner needs just three points to become the Big 12's all-time scoring leader and recently eclipsed the NCAA career block record (665), men or women. Griner already owns the NCAA record for career dunks (11).
- Junior point guard and All-American candidate Odyssey Sims, who averages 12.5 points an outing, also dishes out a team-leading 5.5 assists per game and is 42-of-49 (.857) from the free throw line.
- Forward Brooklyn Pope, enjoying her finest season as a Lady Bear, averages 11.1 points and 6.3 rebounds a contest.
Lady Bears to Debut Nike Road Uniforms...
- The Baylor Lady Bears are one of 12 teams, and one of only three women's teams, selected to wear the new Nike Hyper Elite Road Jersey and Nike Hyper Elite Shorts.
- Baylor will debut its uniform at Texas Tech on Wednesday.
- The uniforms offer lightweight performance through sustainable materials. A logo inspired by each team's home court appears on the jersey's center chest, a piece of "home away from home," while the back nameplate features iconic references to the team's mascot and home crowd.
- The Lady Bears' 50-game home win streak ranks No. 1 nationally after UConn snapped Stanford's string of 82 straight wins on Dec. 29, 2012.
- Baylor's 30-game Big 12 Conference regular season win streak is the nation's longest active league win streak.
- With Kentucky's loss at South Carolina on Jan. 24, Baylor now owns the nation's longest win streak with 16 straight victories.
- Brittney Griner has registered an NCAA (men or women) and Big 12 record 665 career blocked shots; vs. Oklahoma, she broke former record-holder Louella Tomlinson's (Saint Mary's [CA]) NCAA record 663 rejections.
- Brittney Griner ranks No. 2 on BU's all-time scoring chart with 2,833 points and No. 2 on the Big 12 career list, she needs just three points to pass OSU's Andrea Riley for the Big 12's top spot. In addition, Griner ranks No. 2 on the Big 12's career free throw list with 707 makes and No. 2 in rebounds (1,119).
- During Kim Mulkey's 436-game tenure, a Baylor opponent has only shot 50 percent or better 12 times and on only four occasions in the last 13 years.
Baylor's Record Win Streaks...
- Baylor has won a nation's-best 50 straight home contests, its last home loss was on March 7, 2010, vs. Texas, 70-54.
- UConn snapped Stanford's 82-game home win streak on Dec. 29, 2012.
- The Lady Bears have won a Big 12-record and nation's-best 30 consecutive regular season contests.
- Baylor has won 36 straight Big 12 games overall, a continuing league record.
- At 16 consecutive victories, Baylor owns the nation's longest active win streak.
Griner Earns Double "Of the Week Honors"...
- Brittney Griner earned double player of the week honors this week for her performances vs. two ranked opponents. Griner has been named Phillips 66 Big 12 Women's Basketball Player of the Week and was selected as ESPNW's Player of the Week. Griner extended her Big 12 record for career women's basketball weekly honors to 25 and earned her sixth, including fifth straight, weekly award of the season.
- Griner averaged 18.5 points, 8.0 rebounds and 7.0 blocks in Baylor's wins over No. 24 Iowa State and No. 20 Oklahoma last week while becoming the NCAA's all-time leading shot blocker for both women or men. The 6-8 senior shot .517 (15-of-29) from the floor and .636 (7-of-11) from the charity stripe.
- Griner recorded 14 blocks to raise her career total to 665, breaking Louella Tomlinson's (St. Mary's [CA]) record of 663.
- She also dribbled the length of the court after a steal and threw down her fourth dunk of the season during the ISU game to raise her NCAA career record to 11.
Leading the Big 12...
- As a team, Baylor leads the Big 12 in eight categories; scoring offense (81.2), field goal percentage (.503), scoring margin (+28.0), field goal percentage defense (.326), 3-point field goal percentage defense (.271), assists (21.3), blocked shots (6.2), and assist/turnover ratio (1.6).
- Individually, Brittney Griner ranks No. 1 statistically in scoring (21.5) and No. 2 in both field goal percentage (.590) and blocked shots (3.5), while Kimetria Hayden ranks No. 2 in assist/turnover ratio (2.7) and Odyssey Sims is No. 2 in free throw percentage (.857).
- Five Lady Bears rank among the league's top-15 in field goal percentage; No. 2 - Brittney Griner (.590), No. 3 - Jordan Madden (.573), No. 4 - Brooklyn Pope (.559), No. 7 - Destiny Williams (.544) and No. 13 - Odyssey Sims (.482).
- A trio of Lady Bear guards are among the Big 12 leaders in assists; No. 4 - Odyssey Sims (5.5), No. 6 - Kimetria Hayden (4.3) and No. 10 - Jordan Madden (3.5). BU guards are taking care of the ball as well, Hayden is No. 2 in the league in assist/turnover ratio (2.7) while Madden is No. 3 at 2.4 and Sims is No. 7 with 2.1.
- Texas Tech leads the series 47-28, but Baylor has won the last three meetings.
- Texas Tech's last victory over BU came on Feb. 19, 2011, in Lubbock, it marks Baylor's last Big 12 Conference regular season loss. Baylor has since won a league record 30 straight regular season games.
- Texas Tech leads the series in games played in Lubbock, 25-8, including a 7-6 mark in games played at United Spirit Arena.
- Since March 10, 2004, Baylor has won 17 of the last 19 games, including 13 of the last 14 contests.
- BU and Texas Tech met three times last season, once on each team's home court and in the second round of the Big 12 Championship in Kansas City, Mo., Baylor prevailed in all three contests. BU won in Lubbock, 72-64, in Waco, 56-51, and in Kansas City, 72-48.
- Over the three games, Brittney Griner led Baylor, averaging 18.0 points and 9.7 rebounds per contest, she also registered 19 blocks (6.3 bpg). Odyssey Sims tallied double-digit scoring with 13.0 ppg and Destiny Williams averaged a double-double with 12.7 points and 10.3 rebounds.