|#1/1 Baylor (18-1, 5-0) vs. #6/5 Texas A&M (18-1, 6-0)
Sunday, Jan. 30, 2011 | Noon CST
College Station, Texas | Reed Arena (12,292)
TV: FOX Sports Net
| Listen | Gametracker | Notes | Gameday Central
Date: Sunday, Jan. 30, 2011
Tip-Off: Noon CST
Location: College Station, Texas
Arena: Ferrell Center (12,292)
Television: FOX Sports Net
Talent: Brenda Stover (pxp), Brenda VanLengen (analyst)
Radio: 1660 AM, 106.9 FM, 101.3 FM, 100.9 FM
Talent: Rick May (pxp), Lori Fogleman (color)
Video Web Stream: None
Audio Web Stream: www.BaylorBears.com (free)
Live Stats: www.BaylorBears.com (free)
BAYLOR LADY BEARS
Record: 18-1, 5-0
Ranking (AP/ESPN): 1/1
Last Game: W, 64-51, Texas Tech
Head Coach: Kim Mulkey
Career Record: 282-77 (11th season)
Record at Baylor: same
Baylor vs. Texas A&M: Baylor leads 44-35
TEXAS A&M AGGIES
Record: 18-1, 6-0
Ranking (AP/ESPN): 6/5
Last Game: W, 80-78 (OT), at Oklahoma
Head Coach: Gary Blair
Career Record: 581-238 (26th season)
Record at Texas A&M: 173-75 (8th season)
In a battle for the league lead, the top-ranked Baylor Lady Bears, 18-1 overall and 5-0 in Big 12 action, bring their 15-game win streak into Sunday's 12 p.m. nationally televised (FSN) contest at Texas A&M.
Baylor is led on the season by sophomore post Brittney Griner's 22.2 points and 7.8 rebounds a contest while freshman guard Odyssey Sims follows with 13.3 points a game. Senior guard Melissa Jones ranks second in rebounding at 6.9 an outing.
Gary Blair's sixth-ranked Texas A&M squad, 18-1 on the season and 6-0 in league play, looks to defend its 12-game win streak and keep its perfect home record (8-0) on Sunday. The Aggies are led by 6-1 senior forward Danielle Adams' 22.9 points and 8.4 rebounds a game, she is followed by junior forward Tyra White at 13.9 an outing. Adora Elonu, a junior forward, ranks second on the team in rebounding with 6.1 a game.
The contest matches up the league's top two teams in scoring margin, assists and assist/turnover ratio as well as the Big 12's top two scorers in Griner and Adams.
• As a team, Baylor ranks among the top 20 in NCAA Division I statistics in 15 categories, including nine among the top five. Brittney Griner (blocks per game, triple doubles) and Melissa Jones (assist/turnover ratio) both rank No. 2 nationally while Odyssey Sims ranks No. 3 in 3-point field goal percentage.
• Baylor has held its opponents to a .309 field goal percentage this season while shooting .478. BU leads the Big 12 in both categories. BU leads the nation in both field goal percentage defense, scoring margin (+32.4) and blocks (7.3).
• Baylor leads the Big 12 Conference in: scoring offense, scoring defense, scoring margin, field goal percentage, field goal percentage defense, 3-point FG percentage defense, rebounding offense, rebounding margin, blocked shots and defensive rebounds.
• Baylor's Brittney Griner is a contender for National Player of the Year honors while point guard Odyssey Sims is a National Freshman of the Year candidate. The tandem joins Melissa Jones as All-America candidates as well.
• Baylor is 18-1 after 19 games for the second time in the past four years. Its best-ever start was 20-1 to open the 2007-08 season.
• BU's 15-game win streak is the longest since a school-record 30-game string that encompassed the final 20 games of the 2004-05 season and the first 10 of the 2005-06 campaign. The current 15-game run is the second-longest in school history and marks the ninth time in the last 11 seasons they have registered at least one double-digit win streak.
• A win Sunday would give BU its first undefeated January since 2007-08 when it went 9-0.
• Sunday's contest marks Baylor's third game this season vs. a top six team: No. 1 UConn, No. 6 Tennessee, No. 6 Texas A&M. All told it will be BU's eight contest vs. a ranked opponent.
SCOUTING THE AGGIES
Located in College Station, Texas, the Texas A&M Aggies are 18-1 on the season and 6-0 in Big 12 play. Texas A&M's lone loss came at fifth-ranked Duke (61-58). The Aggies are riding a 12-game win streak and are 8-0 at home this season.
The Aggies are led in scoring and rebounding by senior Danielle Adams' 22.9 point and 8.4 rebound averages, she is followed by junior forward Tyra White at 13.9 points an outing. Adora Elonu, a junior forward, ranks second on the team in rebounding with 6.1 a contest.
The Aggies are coached by eighth-year head coach Gary Blair (Texas Tech, 1972). Blair is 173-75 (.698) in his eight seasons along the Texas A&M sideline and 581-238 (.709) in 26 seasons as a head coach.
Baylor leads the series 44-35 and has won 19 of the last 22 contests, including five straight wins. Overall in College Station the Aggies hold an 18-15 edge, however, the Lady Bears have won two straight in Reed Arena.
Kim Mulkey is 19-4 overall vs. the Aggies and 7-3 in College Station.