|Baylor vs. Texas
Feb. 1, 2014 | 6:30 p.m. CT
Waco, Texas | Ferrell Center (10,284)
TV: Fox Sports Southwest
|Listen | Gametracker | Notes | Tickets|
No. 9/7 Baylor Hosts Texas...
The ninth-ranked Baylor Lady Bears, 17-3 overall and sitting alone atop the Big 12 standings at 7-1, complete the first half of their Big 12 slate by hosting Texas on Saturday, Feb. 1, at 6:30 p.m. in a game televised on Fox Sports Southwest.
The Texas Longhorns, under the direction of second-year head coach Karen Aston, are 14-6 on the season and own a 5-3 league mark.
Senior guard Odyssey Sims continues to lead Baylor in scoring at a Big 12-best 29.5 points per game. The Irving, Texas, native is averaging 4.6 rebounds a contest while dishing out 4.7 assists per game and shooting 46.3 percent from the floor, including .420 from beyond the arc. With 562 career assists, Sims is the program's all-time leader and also owns BU's career 3-point field goal record with 218 makes. In addition, with 2,069 career points, she is the fifth Lady Bear player to reach the 2,000-point milestone and stands fourth on BU's all-time list.
Freshman Nina Davis (5-11, forward/post), the reigning Big 12 Freshman of the Week, is averaging 13.5 points and a team-leading 8.2 rebounds a game. The Memphis, Tenn., native ranks No. 9 nationally in field goal percentage, hitting 60.2 (106-176) percent of her shots.
On the boards, Davis leads the team with 8.2 rpg while junior post Sune Agbuke (6-4) follows with 8.0 and outing. Freshman Khadijiah Cave (6-2 post) manages 5.8 a game and sophomore Kristina Higgins (6-5 post) averages 4.9 a contest.
Sophomore guard Niya Johnson ranks No. 16 nationally and No. 2 in the Big 12, averaging 6.4 assists an outing while Sims follows with 4.7 a game.
The Longhorns are led by junior forward Nneka Enemkpali's 13.1 points and 9.2 rebounds a contest while senior guard Chassidy Fussell follows with 10.4 points a game. Imani McGee-Stafford, a 6-7 sophomore center, comes off the bench to score 10.2 points and haul down 7.1 rebounds an outing.
Family Night...Saturday's game vs. Texas marks Baylor's annual Family Night. BU players and their families will be honored in halftime ceremonies.
Three Games in Six Days...Baylor will get plenty of court action this week. Beginning with Wednesday's victory over Texas Tech (92-43), the Lady Bears play three games in six days. BU hosted the Lady Raiders on Wednesday, Jan. 29, hosts Texas on Saturday, Feb. 1 and play at Oklahoma on Monday, Feb. 3.
- Baylor has won 31-straight home games vs. Big 12 opponents.
- Baylor's 44-game Big 12 Conference regular season win streak, which was halted at Kansas (76-60, Jan. 19), was the nation's longest active league win string.
- Baylor had won 53 straight Big 12 games overall, a league record.
- Odyssey Sims, a 5-8 senior guard, is averaging 29.5 ppg, which ranks No. 2 nationally, as well as 4.7 assists, 4.6 rebounds and 1.9 steals. She is shooting .463 (200-432) from the floor, .420 (58-138) from 3-point range and .805 (132-164) from the free throw line.
- Sims, with 562 career assists and 218 treys, ranks No. 1 in both categories on Baylor's all-time list.
- Nina Davis, a 5-11 freshman forward/post, is averaging 13.5 points per game and ranks No. 9 nationally and leads the Big 12 Conference in field goal shooting at 60.2 (106-176) percent. Davis has averaged 15.7 points. 15.0 rebounds and 3.0 assists this season vs. top 10 opponents (#5 Kentucky, #1 UConn, #8 Oklahoma State).
- Niya Johnson, a 5-7 guard, ranks No. 16 nationally in assists per game (6.4) and is No. 6 in assist/turnover ratio at 3.46 per contest.
- Sune Agbuke, a 6-4 post, ranks No. 26 nationally in blocks per game (2.4).
- In her 14 seasons at the program's helm, Kim Mulkey has posted an impressive 389-84 (.822) record which ranks her No. 2 nationally in winning percentage among active coaches behind UConn's Geno Auriemma (.864).
- Kim Mulkey sports a 151-51 (.748) record vs. current Big 12 Conference teams.
Robertson Hot From Outside...
- Makenzie Robertson, a 5-11 senior guard, turned in a solid performance in Baylor's 69-66 overtime road win over eighth-ranked Oklahoma State. Robertson drilled six treys to lead all scorers with 18 points.
- With the Lady Bears trailing by four late in regulation, Robertson hit a three that cut Oklahoma State's lead to 57-56 with 1:36 to go. She hit another 3-pointer with six seconds left to tie the score at 61. Robertson was 6-of-12 from the floor, including 6-of-10 from 3-point range and added four rebounds, an assist and a steal in 43 minutes.
- Over the last two games (at OSU [6-10] and vs. Texas Tech [3-7]), Robertson is 9-17 (.529) from 3-point range. She is averaging 14.5 points an outing over the two games.
Sims Reaches 2,000 Points...
- Odyssey Sims, with her 31 points at Kansas, became just the fifth Lady Bear to score 2,000 career points, joining Suzie Snider Eppers (3,861), Brittney Griner (3,283), Sophia Young (2,480) and Maggie Davis-Stinnett (2,027).
- Sims' 2,069 career points moved her to No. 4 on Baylor's scoring list, passing Maggie Davis-Stinnett's 2,027 points.
2013-14 Lady Bear Honors...
- Sune Agbuke - Big 12 Commissioner's Honor Roll (fall)
- Mariah Chandler- Big 12 Commissioner's Honor Roll (fall)
- Nina Davis - Big 12 Freshman of the Week (Nov. 18, Dec. 9, Dec. 23, Jan. 27); Big 12 Commissioner's Honor Roll (fall)
- Chardonae Fuqua' - Big 12 Commissioner's Honor Roll (fall)
- Kristina Higgins - Big 12 Commissioner's Honor Roll (fall)
- Alexis Prince - Preseason All-Big 12 (honorable mention)
- Makenzie Robertson - Big 12 Commissioner's Honors Roll (fall); first-team Capital One Academic All-District® 7
- Ieshia Small - Preseason Big 12 Freshman of the Year; Big 12 Commissioner's Honor Roll (fall)
- Odyssey Sims - ESPNW National Player of the Week (Nov. 25, Jan. 6); Big 12 Player of the Week (Nov. 25, Dec. 9, Jan. 6, Jan. 13); Preseason AP All-American; Wade Trophy Watch List; Wooden Award Top 20; Naismith Trophy Watch List; Preseason Big 12 Player of the Year; Preseason All-Big 12
- National Player of the Year contender and Big 12 Preseason Player of the Year Odyssey Sims, a 5-8 senior guard, is averaging a 29.5 points per game, which ranks No. 2 nationally, as well as 4.7 assists, 4.6 rebounds and 1.8 steals.
- On the boards, freshman forward/post Nina Davis leads the team with 8.2 rpg while junior post Sune Agbuke (6-4) follows with 8.0 and outing. Freshman Khadijiah Cave (6-2 post) manages 5.8 a game and sophomore Kristina Higgins (6-5 post) averages 4.9 a contest.
- Sophomore guard Niya Johnson is the team's top distributor and ranks No. 16 nationally and No. 2 in the Big 12, averaging 6.4 assists an outing while Odyssey Sims follows with 4.7 a game.
Among the Big 12 Leaders...
- Odyssey Sims leads the Big 12 in scoring at 29.5 ppg while freshman Nina Davis ranks No. 10 (13.5 ppg). Davis ranks No. 2 in scoring and rebounding among the league's rookies.
- Sims leads the Big 12 in scoring in league games only at 29.9 ppg.
- Nina Davis is No. 7 in the nation and No. 1 the Big 12 in field goal percentage at 60.2 percent.
- Three of Baylor's four posts rank among the league's top 20 in rebounding. Nina Davis ranks No. 3 with 8.2 rpg, Sune Agbuke ranks No. 4 with 8.0 rpg, while Khadijiah Cave is No. 14 with 5.8 rpg.
- Nina Davis (No. 2, 3.7) and Sune Agbuke (No. 6, 2.9) rank among the Big 12's top offensive rebounders.
- Niya Johnson (3.5) and Odyssey Sims (1.8) are No. 1 and No. 8, respectively, in assist/turnover ratio. In addition, Johnson is No. 2 in the league in assists (6.4 apg) and Sims is No. 7 with 4.7 a contest.
- Sune Agbuke (47/2.4) ranks No. 2 in the Big 12 in blocked shots.
Back in the Top 10...
- After 67 consecutive top 10 appearances in the Associated Press Poll, Baylor dropped to No. 12 after its 76-60 loss at Kansas on Jan. 20.
- After a one-week hiatus, the Lady Bears are back in the top 10, checking in at No. 9 this week after upsetting then-eighth-ranked Oklahoma State, 69-66 in overtime, in Stillwater, Jan. 26.
- Baylor now has 165 top 10 poll appearances as well as 190 consecutive poll appearances and 210 overall.
- Located in Austin, Texas, the Texas Longhorns enter Saturday's contest with a 14-6 season mark and a 5-3 league record. The Longhorns are coming off an 80-55 win at Kansas on Tuesday, Jan. 28, the victory was their first conference road win.
- Texas is led by junior forward Nneka Enemkpali's 13.1 points and 9.2 rebounds a contest while senior guard Chassidy Fussell follows with 10.4 points a game. Imani McGee-Stafford, a 6-7 sophomore center, comes off the bench to score 10.2 points and haul down 7.1 rebounds an outing.
- Texas is coached by seventh-year head coach Karen Aston (Arkansas-Little Rock, 1987). Aston owns a 127-87 (.594) career mark and is 26-24 (.520) in her second season along the Longhorn sideline. She served two stints (1994-96 and 2006-07) as a Lady Bear assistant.
Series Record vs. Texas...
- Texas leads the series 57-27, but Baylor has won six straight contests, posting its longest series win streak.
- Baylor leads the series 18-10 since Kim Mulkey became the Lady Bears' head coach, including a 10-3 edge in games played in Waco.
- Texas' last victory over BU came on March 7, 2010, in Waco, 70-54. Brittney Griner was serving a suspension and did not play in the game.
- The Longhorns lead the series in Waco, 23-16, Texas' most recent Waco victory came on March 7, 2010, 70-54. Since the, Baylor has won 31 straight home games vs. Big 12 foes.