|Baylor at Oklahoma State
Feb. 2, 2013 | 7:00 p.m. CT
Stillwater, Okla. | Gallagher-Iba Arena (13,611)
TV: FSSW Plus (check provider listings)
|Watch (Paid) | Listen | Gametracker | Notes | Tickets|
Lady Bears Take on No. 19 Oklahoma State on Road...
The defending national champion and top-ranked Baylor Lady Bears (19-1, 9-0) put their record-setting 31-game Big 12 regular season win streak on the line when they travel to 19th-ranked Oklahoma State on Saturday, Feb. 2, and hope to register their 13th straight 20-win season, a continuing school and Big 12 record.
Baylor, led by 2012 National Coach of the Year Kim Mulkey, is 19-1 on the season after posting Wednesday's 90-60 road win over Texas Tech, and has won 93 of its last 97 games since the start of the 2010-11 season, including a nation's best 17 straight.
Oklahoma State, under the direction of second-year head coach Jim Littell, is 15-4 on the season and 4-4 in league play and currently sits in fifth place in the Big 12 standings. The Cowgirls are led by senior forward Toni Young's 17.1 points and 9.7 rebounds per contest while Liz Donohoe, a sophomore forward, averages 15.5 points and junior guard Tiffany Bias manages 12.4 a contest.
- Preseason National Player of the Year Brittney Griner, a 6-8 senior post, leads BU in scoring and rebounding with a league-leading 22.4 points and 8.4 boards per game. Griner currently has 2,873 career points, 1,134 career rebounds, and NCAA records of 672 blocks and 12 dunks to her credit. Griner became the Big 12's all-time scoring leader and recently eclipsed the NCAA career block record (672), men or women. She already owns the NCAA record for career dunks (12).
- Junior point guard and All-American candidate Odyssey Sims, who averages 12.2 points an outing, also dishes out 5.4 assists per game and is 44-of-51 (.863) from the free throw line.
- Forward Brooklyn Pope, enjoying her finest season as a Lady Bear, averages 11.3 points and 6.3 rebounds a contest.
Leading the Big 12...
- As a team, Baylor leads the Big 12 in eight categories; scoring offense (81.7), scoring defense (53.5), field goal percentage (.507), scoring margin (+28.1), field goal percentage defense (.327), assists (21.4), blocked shots (6.3) and assist/turnover ratio (1.6).
- Individually, Brittney Griner ranks No. 1 statistically in both scoring (22.4) and field goal percentage (.597) and No. 2 in blocked shots (3.7), while Kimetria Hayden ranks No. 1 in assist/turnover ratio (2.8) and Odyssey Sims is No. 2 in free throw percentage (.863).
- Five Lady Bears rank among the league's top-15 in field goal percentage; No. 1 - Brittney Griner (.597), No. 4 - Brooklyn Pope (.561), No. 5 - Jordan Madden (.555), No. 7 - Destiny Williams (.543) and No. 15 - Odyssey Sims (.469).
- The Lady Bears' 50-game home win streak ranks No. 1 nationally after UConn snapped Stanford's string of 82 straight wins on Dec. 29, 2012.
- Baylor's 31-game Big 12 Conference regular season win streak is the nation's longest active league win streak.
- With Kentucky's loss at South Carolina on Jan. 24, Baylor now owns the nation's longest win streak in 2012-13 with 17 straight victories.
- Brittney Griner needs just 127 points to reach the 3,000-point milestone. She would become just the eighth player in NCAA Division I history to reach 3,000 points, she currently ranks No. 12 on the NCAA career scoring list with 2,873 points.
- Griner ranks No. 3 on the NCAA's list for most games scoring in double figures with 130. UConn's Maya Moore holds the NCAA record at 149.
- Griner has registered an NCAA (men or women) and Big 12 record 672 career blocked shots; vs. Oklahoma (Jan. 26), she broke former record-holder Louella Tomlinson's (Saint Mary's [CA]) NCAA record of 663 rejections.
- Griner ranks No. 2 on BU's all-time scoring chart with 2,873 points and No. 1 on the Big 12 career list, she surpassed OSU's Andrea Riley for the Big 12's top spot at Texas Tech (Jan. 30). In addition, Griner ranks No. 2 on the Big 12's career free throw list with 713 makes and No. 2 in rebounds (1,134).
- Over the last four games, Griner has blocked 30 shots (7.5 bpg); 9 vs. West Virginia, 6 at Iowa State, 8 vs. Oklahoma, 7 at Texas Tech.
- In 425 of 437 games under Kim Mulkey, the Lady Bears have held their opponent at or below 50 percent from the field with only four of those coming in the last 11 years.
- BU leads the series 27-10 and has won six straight and nine of the last 10 games.
- OSU's last victory over BU came on Jan. 9, 2010, in Stillwater, 78-65.
- The series is tied, 8-8, in games played in OSU's Gallagher-Iba Arena, but the Lady Bears have won two straight in Stillwater and three of the last four.
Earlier This Season...
- BU handed Oklahoma State its first loss of the season when the two teams met on Jan. 6 in Waco. Baylor downed OSU 83-49, as the Lady Bears prevailed 46-16 in the paint and scored 28 points off 22 OSU turnovers.
Mulkey vs. Ranked Opponents...
- In head coach Kim Mulkey's 13 seasons, Baylor is 96-58 (.623) against ranked opponents. Since a 69-55 loss to No. 15 Texas during the 2004-05 season, Baylor is 77-33 (.700) versus ranked opponents, including 13-0 last season and 8-1 this season.