|Baylor at Oklahoma
Feb. 3, 2014 | 6:00 p.m. CT
Norman, Okla. | Lloyd Noble Center (12,000)
|Watch | Listen | Gametracker | Notes | Tickets|
No. 9/7 Baylor Travels To Oklahoma for ESPN2 Contest...
The ninth-ranked Baylor Lady Bears, 18-3 overall and sitting alone atop the Big 12 standings at 8-1, begin the second half of their Big 12 slate on the road by taking on Oklahoma on Monday, Feb. 3, at 6:00 p.m. (CT), in a game televised on ESPN2. Beth Mowins will handle play-by-play duties while Kara Lawson will provide color analysis.
The Oklahoma Sooners, under the direction of 18th-year head coach Sherri Coale, are 14-8 on the season and own a 5-4 league mark.
Senior guard Odyssey Sims continues to lead Baylor in scoring at a Big 12-best 30.2 points per game. The Irving, Texas, native is averaging 4.7 rebounds a contest while dishing out 4.8 assists per game and shooting 45.5 percent from the floor, including .414 from beyond the arc. With 569 career assists, Sims is the program's all-time leader and also owns BU's career 3-point field goal record with 220 makes. In addition, with 2,113 career points, she is the fifth Lady Bear player to reach the 2,000-point milestone and stands fourth on BU's all-time list.
Freshman Nina Davis (5-11, forward/post), the reigning Big 12 Freshman of the Week, is averaging 13.6 points and a team-leading 8.6 rebounds a game. The Memphis, Tenn., native ranks No. 9 nationally and leads the Big 12 in field goal percentage, hitting .595 (110-185) percent of her shots.
On the glass, Davis leads the team with 8.6 rpg while junior post Sune Agbuke (6-4) follows with 7.7 an outing. Freshman Khadijiah Cave (6-2 post) manages 5.7 a game and sophomore Kristina Higgins (6-5 post) averages 4.7 a contest.
Sophomore guard Niya Johnson ranks No. 14 nationally and No. 2 in the Big 12, averaging 6.3 assists an outing while Sims follows with 4.8 a game.
The Sooners are led by senior guard Aaryn Ellenberg's 19.1 points a contest while junior guard Sharane Campbell follows with 13.0 points a game. Nicole Griffin, a 6-6 senior center, scores 11.4 points and hauls down 5.5 rebounds an outing and senior guard Morgan Hook manages 10.8 points and 5.5 rebounds a game.
Baylor on ESPN on Big Mondays...
Monday's game marks Baylor's seventh overall Big Monday ESPN appearance, as the Lady Bears are 6-1 when playing on the network on Mondays. Prior to Baylor's loss to top-ranked UConn (66-55) on Jan. 13, the Lady Bears were undefeated on ESPN in Big Monday contests.
Last of Three Games in Six Days...
Baylor has gotten plenty of court action this week. Monday's game vs. Oklahoma marks the Lady Bears' third game in six days. Beginning with Wednesday's victory over Texas Tech (92-43), the Lady Bears defeated Texas (87-73) on Saturday, Feb. 1 and close the busy stretch with Monday's game in Norman.
- Baylor's two turnovers vs. Texas (Feb. 1) were a program low, BU's previous low was five, three times -- vs. Minnesota, 12/5/10; vs. Colorado, 2/33/06; at Iowa State, 2/27/02.
- Baylor has won 32-straight home games vs. Big 12 opponents.
- Baylor's 44-game Big 12 Conference regular season win streak, which was halted at Kansas (76-60, Jan. 19), was the nation's longest active league win string. Baylor had won 53 straight Big 12 games overall, a league record.
- Odyssey Sims, a 5-8 senior guard, is averaging 30.2 ppg, which ranks No. 2 nationally, as well as 4.8 assists, 4.7 rebounds and 1.9 steals. She is shooting .455 (212-466) from the floor, .414 (60-145) from 3-point range and .815 (150-184) from the free throw line.
- Sims, with 569 career assists and 220 treys, ranks No. 1 in both categories on Baylor's all-time list.
- Nina Davis, a 5-11 freshman forward/post, is averaging 13.6 points per game and ranks No. 9 nationally and leads the Big 12 Conference in field goal shooting at 59.5 (110-185) percent. Davis has averaged 15.7 points, 15.0 rebounds and 3.0 assists this season vs. top 10 opponents (#5 Kentucky, #1 UConn, #8 Oklahoma State).
- Niya Johnson, a 5-7 guard, ranks No. 16 nationally in assists per game (6.3) and is No. 6 in assist/turnover ratio at 3.59 per contest.
- Sune Agbuke, a 6-4 post, ranks No. 26 nationally in blocks per game (2.3).
- In her 14 seasons at the program's helm, Kim Mulkey has posted an impressive 390-84 (.823) record which ranks her No. 2 nationally in winning percentage among active coaches behind UConn's Geno Auriemma (.864).
- Kim Mulkey sports a 152-51 (.749) record vs. current Big 12 Conference teams.
Sims Simply Stellar...
- Odyssey Sims, a 5-8 senior guard, turned in a stellar performance in Baylor's 78-62 victory at West Virginia, establishing career highs in both points (48) and rebounds (10). Her 48-point effort was the second-highest in Big 12 history behind Brittney Griner's 50-point game, March 4, 2013, vs. Kansas State.
- Sims shot 14-29 (.483) from the floor, including 6-10 (.600) from 3-point range, and 14-17 (.824) from the charity stripe with seven assists and two steals.
40 Times Four...
- Odyssey Sims has scored 40 points four times this season, former Lady Bear standout Brittney Griner recorded five 40-point efforts in her career.
- Sims scored 40-plus on the road three times (47 vs. Kentucky, 40 at Kansas State, 48 at West Virginia) and poured in 44 vs. Texas in the Ferrell Center on Sat., Feb. 1.
- Nina Davis, an undersized post player at 5-11, has recorded six double-doubles as a rookie. She leads all Big 12 freshmen in rebounding (8.6 rpg) and ranks No. 2 among the league's freshmen in scoring with 13.6 ppg.
- Davis has recorded double-digit scoring in 17 of Baylor's 21 contests and leads the league and ranks No. 9 nationally in field goal percentage, hitting 59.5 percent of her shots.
- Davis has hauled down a career-high 17 rebounds on three occasions this season; vs. top-ranked UConn, at No. 8 Oklahoma State and vs. Texas.
- Over the last three games (No. 8 OSU, Texas Tech, Texas), Davis has averaged 14.7 points and 13.6 rebounds.
- National Player of the Year contender and Big 12 Preseason Player of the Year Odyssey Sims, a 5-8 senior guard, is averaging 30.2 points per game, which ranks No. 2 nationally, as well as 4.8 assists, 4.7 rebounds and 1.8 steals.
- On the boards, freshman forward/post Nina Davis leads the team with 8.6 rpg while junior post Sune Agbuke (6-4) follows with 7.7 and outing. Freshman Khadijiah Cave (6-2 post) manages 5.7 a game and sophomore Kristina Higgins (6-5 post) averages 4.7 a contest.
- Sophomore guard Niya Johnson is the team's top distributor and ranks No. 14 nationally and No. 2 in the Big 12, averaging 6.3 assists an outing while Odyssey Sims follows with 4.8 a game.
Among the Big 12 Leaders...
- Odyssey Sims leads the Big 12 in scoring at 30.2 ppg while freshman Nina Davis ranks No. 10 (13.6 ppg). Davis ranks No. 2 in scoring and No. 1 in rebounding among the league's rookies.
- Sims leads the Big 12 in scoring in league games only at 31.4 ppg.
- Nina Davis is No. 9 in the nation and No. 1 the Big 12 in field goal percentage at 59.5 percent.
- Three of Baylor's four posts rank among the league's top 20 in rebounding. Nina Davis ranks No. 2 with 8.6 rpg, Sune Agbuke ranks No. 9 with 7.7 rpg, while Khadijiah Cave is No. 17 with 5.7 rpg.
- Nina Davis (No. 2, 3.9), Sune Agbuke (No. 8, 2.8) and Khadijiah Cave (No. 11, 2.3) rank among the Big 12's top offensive rebounders.
Back in the Top 10...
- After 67 consecutive top 10 appearances in the Associated Press Poll, Baylor dropped to No. 12 after its 76-60 loss at Kansas on Jan. 20.
- After a one-week hiatus, the Lady Bears are back in the top 10, checking in at No. 9 this week after upsetting then-eighth-ranked Oklahoma State, 69-66 in overtime, in Stillwater, Jan. 26.
- Baylor now has 165 top 10 poll appearances as well as 190 consecutive poll appearances and 210 overall.
- Located in Norman, Okla., the Oklahoma Sooners enter Monday's contest at 14-8 on the season and 5-4 in league play after last Saturday's home victory over No. 11 Oklahoma State (81-74).
- The Sooners are led by senior guard Aaryn Ellenberg's 19.1 points a contest while junior guard Sharane Campbell follows with 13.0 points a game. Nicole Griffin, a 6-6 senior center, scores 11.4 points and hauls down 5.5 rebounds an outing and senior guard Morgan Hook manages 10.8 points and 5.5 rebounds a game.
- Oklahoma is coached by 18th-year head coach Sherri Coale (Oklahoma Christian, 1987). Coale owns a 395-187 (.679) career mark, all along the Oklahoma sideline.
Series Record vs. OU...
- Oklahoma leads the series 24-17, but Baylor has won the last six meetings to register its longest series win streak.
- Oklahoma's last victory over BU came on March 12, 2010, in Kansas City, Mo., in the second round of the Big 12 Championship. Then-No. 12 ranked OU downed 16th-ranked Baylor, 59-54.
- OU also leads the series in games played in Lloyd Noble Arena, 11-8, but BU has won four of the last six in Norman, including three straight.