|Baylor vs. Kansas
Feb. 6, 2013 | 7:00 p.m. CT
Waco, Texas | Ferrell Center (10,284)
|Watch (Paid) | Listen | Gametracker | Notes | Tickets|
Lady Bears Return Home to Host Kansas...
The defending national champion and top-ranked Baylor Lady Bears (20-1, 10-0) put their record-setting 32-game Big 12 regular season win streak and three-game league lead on the line when they host Kansas on Wednesday, Feb. 6.
Baylor, led by 2012 National Coach of the Year Kim Mulkey, is 20-1 on the season after Saturday's 81-62 win at 19th-ranked Oklahoma State, and has won 94 of its last 98 games since the start of the 2010-11 season, including a nation's best 18 straight and registered its 13th straight 20-win campaign in the process.
Kansas, under the direction of 16th-year head coach Bonnie Henrickson, is 14-6 on the season and 5-4 in league play and currently sits in fifth place in the Big 12 standings. The Jayhawks are led by senior forward Carolyn Davis' 15.7 points per contest while preseason All-Big 12 selection Angel Goodrich, a senior guard, averages 14.0 points. Chelsea Gardner, a 6-3 sophomore forward, leads the team in rebounding with 6.2 per contest while Davis follows with 5.9. Of Kansas' nine available players, six hail from the state of Texas; Lamaria Cole (Bryan), Bunny Williams (Duncanville), Monica Engelman and CeCe Harper (San Antonio), Chelsea Gardner (DeSoto) and Carolyn Davis (Houston).
- Preseason National Player of the Year Brittney Griner, a 6-8 senior post, leads BU in scoring and rebounding with a league-leading 22.8 points and 8.5 boards per game. Griner currently has 2,903 career points, 1,144 career rebounds, and NCAA records of 675 blocks and 12 dunks to her credit. Griner recently became the Big 12's all-time scoring leader and the NCAA career block record holder (675), men or women. She already owns the NCAA record for career dunks (12).
- Junior point guard and All-American candidate Odyssey Sims, who averages 12.4 points an outing, also dishes out 5.7 assists per game and is 48-of-57 (.842) from the free throw line.
- Forward Brooklyn Pope, enjoying her finest season as a Lady Bear, averages 11.0 points and 6.2 rebounds a contest.
Griner and Sims on Midseason Wade Watch List...
- For the second straight season, Brittney Griner and Odyssey Sims are on the State Farm "Wade Watch" list. Both players were finalists for the Wade Trophy last season and Griner went on to win the coveted award.
- The State Farm Wade Trophy is presented annually to the nation's most outstanding NCAA Division I women's basketball player.
- The Wade Watch List, from which The State Farm Wade Trophy recipient is chosen, consists of players selected on the basis of game and season statistics, leadership, character, effect on their team and overall playing ability.
- Both players are also on the recently-released midseason Wooden Award list.
- Baylor's speed is apparent on offense as it has outscored the opponent 144-35 in fast break points, 84-19 in Big 12 play.
- Points the point - Baylor 1,011 (48.1 ppg)/Opponent 384 (18.3 ppg); Big 12 play - BU 469 (46.9 ppg)/Opponent 170 (17.0 ppg).
- The Lady Bears' 50-game home win streak ranks No. 1 nationally after UConn snapped Stanford's string of 82 straight wins on Dec. 29, 2012.
- Baylor's 32-game Big 12 Conference regular season win streak is the nation's longest active league win streak.
- With Kentucky's loss at South Carolina on Jan. 24, Baylor now owns the nation's longest win streak in 2012-13 with 18 straight victories.
- Brittney Griner needs just 97 points to reach the 3,000-point milestone. She would become just the eighth player in NCAA Division I history to reach 3,000 points, she currently ranks No. 12 on the NCAA career scoring list with 2,903 points. (see chart on page 8)
- Griner ranks No. 3 on the NCAA's list for most games scoring in double figures with 131. UConn's Maya Moore holds the NCAA record at 149. (see chart on page 8)
- Griner has registered an NCAA (men or women) and Big 12 record 675 career blocked shots; vs. Oklahoma (Jan. 26), she broke former record-holder Louella Tomlinson's (Saint Mary's [CA]) NCAA record of 663 rejections.
- Griner ranks No. 2 on BU's all-time scoring chart with 2,903 points and No. 1 on the Big 12 career list, she surpassed OSU's Andrea Riley for the Big 12's top spot at Texas Tech (Jan. 30). In addition, Griner ranks No. 2 on the Big 12's career free throw list with 719 makes and No. 2 in rebounds (1,144).
- Over the last five games, Griner has blocked 33 shots (6.6 bpg); 9 vs. West Virginia, 6 at Iowa State, 8 vs. Oklahoma, 7 at Texas Tech and 3 at OSU.
- Griner is averaging 25.6 points and 9.6 rebounds in Big 12 Conference action, she averages 22.8 points and 8.5 boards on the season.
- BU leads the series 18-7 and has won six straight and 16 of the last 17 games. KU's lone win during that stretch was on March 4, 2009, in Lawrence, 69-45.
- Kansas' last victory over BU came on March 4, 2009, in Lawrence, 69-45.
- The Lady Bears lead the series in Waco, 8-2, and have won six straight, including last year's 74-46 victory. Kansas' most recent Waco victory came on Jan. 19, 2000, 81-67.
- Kim Mulkey is 6-0 vs. Kansas in games played in the Ferrell Center.